• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxygen sensor / Atermarket OK ????

Hallo. Speaking about O2 sensors, can someone tell me the quality of the Crown ones? Who is fabricate them? In Holland ,you only can buy the OEM or Crown. I replaced mine 4 months ago with a Crown whithout complains.
:wave1:

crown is a major aftermarket dist. of oem parts like omix-ada... the quality should be the same as OEM with a cheaper price tag...

aparke4 said:
well ended up getting 2 for the xj -1999- one upstream and downstream direct fit - 75 shipped

Crap. I just paid 69.00 a piece for Bosch and you're telling me I could have saved half of that cost?

Please post again in 20k miles and tell me your cheapies blew apart on the freeway. I dont care if you lie to me. I just want to think I got the best sensors without wasting money.

rocknxj said:
Crap. I just paid 69.00 a piece for Bosch and you're telling me I could have saved half of that cost?

Please post again in 20k miles and tell me your cheapies blew apart on the freeway. I dont care if you lie to me. I just want to think I got the best sensors without wasting money.

haha i will! no seriously i am keeping my old ones which are ok but i am right at 100k so its about time - if my rig runs like ass for the next 1k they are gone an i will spend 65 per for the good stuff - i just hope it aint to good to be true - which usually bites me in the butt...

just recieved one of them - the direct fit and am waiting for the other one a 4 wire universal b/c they were out of the other downstream i believe direct fit o2 sensor... pics later when i get my camera

Will the O2 sensors throw a check engine light when they are worn out? Or, should you replace them before they throw a code? I have no idea what the state of my O2 sensors are, and the rig has ~170k on it. The PO seems to have kept up on maintenance pretty well. Just wondering if it's worth it to replace them when they might be just fine.

good question!

i was DDing a jetta until my sister took it back SO as my 99 xj is nearing 100k i figured it was time to do a complete tune up since i am going to be driving on the street again (for me switch out mud terrains for all terrains, tcase and tranny flush n fill, both o2 sensors, did cps sensor 500 miles ago b/c it went out, k and n filter recharge, new spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, ignition coil, fuel injectors, oil change and some other stuff)
BUT

as far as i know the o2 sensors are exposed 100% of the time when your car is on and it will build up and accumulate grime, dirt, etc from motor and exhaust - thus with 170k it will only improve the performance of your engine to replace it. I feel like it is one of those things i am doing along with ball joints and u joints to make it more streetable and better on gas. Honestly i thought it was going to be a dedicated trail rig but i dont quite have enough money for a good used DD stock 4 door cherokee... i am sure someone can chime in on what i have said... as far as i know if your motor is running smooth the o2 sensor can only improve your mpg's - not by much by it all adds up in my book...

Daedalus454 said:
Will the O2 sensors throw a check engine light when they are worn out? Or, should you replace them before they throw a code? I have no idea what the state of my O2 sensors are, and the rig has ~170k on it. The PO seems to have kept up on maintenance pretty well. Just wondering if it's worth it to replace them when they might be just fine.

on OBDII yes they do (correct me if i am wrong) OBD1 not sure

as a preventative maintenance they reccomend every 50-75k but 100k is fine - people have them run for even longer!

My downstream is the original at 115K miles, and I think it needs replaced even though I have no codes showing up (1999).

If by downstream, you mean the one after the cat converter then don't bother. It doesn't affect the engine tune and is just there to check the efficiency of the cat.

well bought em and replaced em last night - no codes - changed out plugs as well and all is good - idle has smoothed out and the seem well built - the upstream o2 sensor is a direct fit and the downstream is a universal - splice the 4 wires in which are color coded by the way and you are set - now i gotta wait 50k and report back :looney:

Tried to change my downstrem o2 sensor could not get it to break loose even tried propane still no go any ideas?

What kind of penetrating oil did you use?

Tried to replace my o2 sensor today coulndt get it broke loose even tried propane heat any ideas ?

Look for Mouse Milk, it's specifically designed to loosen up exhaust components, in fact I think Continental recommends it for disassembling aircraft turbochargers.

Or just hit it real good with PB Blaster and let it soak for a while. I've never had much luck with PB, but some guys on here swear by it so it must be pretty good.

i swear by PB!!! luckily mine were coated with a good amount of antiseize and came off easy - oh and the SNG o2 sensor from oxygengeek.com comes with antis. on it which was handy... oh and 7/8 wrench is what you want

Back