• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating (Kinda long)

Re: overheating (Kinda long) FIXED

okay final plan of attack included a new Visteon aluminum core radiator with a single 1 3/8" tube, a 14" zirgo fan, the stock 93+ electric, bypassing the trans cooler in the rad, and removed the AC condensor. While i had the fenders off i installed the heat exchanger for the onboard shower, the coolant circulates through this full time and it added about a gallon to the cooling system. look for a write up soon.

The XJ never got over 210 the whole weekend of the NW fest. In town, stop and go it was well below 190, on the freeway it approached 210 very quickly but did not go over, and the major problem i WAS having was pulling hills. the entire 30 min climb to the trailhead it never got over 210. This leads me to believe the whole problem was initially caused by the GDI 3-core creating a restriction in the system.

As far as having to remove the fan pulley to install a zirgo electric fan, not so. IF you want to move the top of the radiator forward about an inch. I will have pics up soon on this too.

Thank you to all involved in helping me diagnois and fix this problem that has been annoying me for over 3 years. This is the reason NAXJA is the best.

Dingo

krakhedd said:
delete this post please admin

Can i ask why you think this needs to be deleted?

Dingo

Check your exhaust manifold for leaks! Particularly where the flange connects to the down pipe. (on a stock exhaust system) Its very close to the block where the freezer plugs are. An exhaust leak hitting the block can and will cause it to overheat. I changed my water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch to no avail! I found the exhaust leak, tightened the flange bolts and guess what? No more overheating!

The stock cooling systems on these trucks are more than adequate. Even in the desert! Check your exhaust manifold for leaks!

You realize this thread is 7 years old, right?

Back