• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over 50 MPG!!

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
I'm loving my new daily driver!!!!

DSCF0976.jpg

This is an old picture, my garage is now CLEAN! ;)

2007 V-Strom 650 still breaking it in.

i envy you. I just dont have the nads to get a bike in detroit roads (3rd world if you never been here we have the busiest cargo point of entry in america and we allow twice the weight on semis as most other states, and no toll booths, and our roads show it !) On bike i would just be to paranoid of drunks and spaz carelesss drivers. I would rather get 40 mpg in a civic, or mid 20s in a miata if i could stop myself from modding it lol.

Looks fun. ride safe, and good luck with the other jerk drivers out there. I been rear ended so many times in the last ten years i am not even sure how many times ....... i think 5 times.

DrMoab said:
Till someone makes a U-turn in front of you...

Good luck with that.

Scared sh!tless of motos now since the wreck but I do like the V Stroms. Be careful.

riverfever said:
Scared sh!tless of motos now since the wreck but I do like the V Stroms. Be careful.
Yeah...Im not saying I wouldn't own one or ride one. In fact I would love to have some sort of custom chopper to cruise around town on.

That being said I have had a lot of friends and a few family members seriously hurt too.

DrMoab said:
Yeah...Im not saying I wouldn't own one or ride one. In fact I would love to have some sort of custom chopper to cruise around town on.

That being said I have had a lot of friends and a few family members seriously hurt too.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I'll never ever get on another bike on the street again. I'd ride another dirt bike but I'm sure that will never happen.

I lived on my bike, got married, had kids, still drove it till one morning coming home from the post office I nearly got greased twice, on back roads. Put it away that day and never rode it again, that was like 18 years ago, just sold it last year and the kid my wife used to day care for now rides it..

I realize that there is a lot of risk involved. I know if something did happen that would probably be the last time I ride. I tried to do everything that I could, like proper gear even if it temps go over 105. Also I have taken the MSF course and plan to actually use what I have learned about defensive riding.

I have also tried to find others to commute with but no one was driving in my direction when I needed to be at work. Lastly, my XJ gets between 16-19 MPG, which I am not complaining about. It's just that if I want to make a real dent in my gas budget I needed something that was over double the mileage of my XJ. So I looked at all the hybrids and small cars. All the best performing ones meant a car payment and thus negates the gas savings. The bike was the only solution.

I ride about 3 days a week ('cept rainy winter). Saves a bundle on gas and time. Plus I show up with a big grin on my face:)

Yeah, comuting in ATL can be hairy, just keep your head on a pivot, act like the other cars are TRYING to kill you, and use your advantages (speed, vision, better brakes and agility).

I 've been comuting here for 7 years now.
I'm not going to sit quietly on the couch to be "safe"

Having been a rider for 40 years, I was gonna give you some advice....but you already have the safety course and Bigdaddy covered most of the rest.....

Did you get training on countersteer???? You MUST practice untill is becomes innate and automatic.....in an emergency avoidance situation it will literally mean life or death. If you didn't get training, get it....if not at a school, find a roadracer to teach you.

Same thing with braking techinque if you don't learn how to REALLY use the front brake and how NOT to use the rear brake, you will be in trouble...used properly, your new bike will outbrake any car on the road....used wrong all that will happen is the skid mark from the rear tire will lead to where you went under the car....

Steve Loveless, AMA member, retired AMA racer.

Chuck I wasn't baggin' on you for the bike. I wish I wasn't afraid of them man b/c I'd love to ride again. I'm sure it would be fun if I could stop cringing long enough.

I saw a guy last year on Tincup Pass with a V Strom. That's the kind of stuff I wish I would have stuck with.

riverfever said:
Chuck I wasn't baggin' on you for the bike. I wish I wasn't afraid of them man b/c I'd love to ride again. I'm sure it would be fun if I could stop cringing long enough.

I saw a guy last year on Tincup Pass with a V Strom. That's the kind of stuff I wish I would have stuck with.

I know, I'm not at all offended. It is a danderous decision and it should not be taken lightly. I'll definitely take MudDawg's adivce. It's makes me cringe also when I see those Jokers riding with only a helemet.

It's funnier when riders wear a leather jacket and no helmet. :looser:

riverfever said:
It's funnier when riders wear a leather jacket and no helmet. :looser:

Down here you rarely see a helmet. They think it's not cool, or it's too hot. Either way, they'll be dead soon. I rode dirt, not street but, either way, be careful out there.

Ride by yourself for several weeks before riding with more experience riders, learn your bike. This past weekend a guy was out with 6 of his friends (only had his permit for 5 days) crossed over into oncoming traffic and got flatened.

It is a documented fact that over 80% of all fatalities for motorcycle riders occur within the group of riders that have been riding less than 6 months..or with riders that have a new, unfamiliar bike.

The thing that kills me here in Florida, is since the repeal of the mandatory helmet laws, way too many people ride in shorts and a t-shirt and tennis shoes....and "custom" bikes are all the rage...you know...stretched out v-twins with 45 degree rake....they handle like crap....the rake really slows the response to turning input..(dragbikes are set up with a lot of rake to purposely slow steering to help with straight line stability)..and most crashes involve the rider center punching the car that pulled out in front of them because they can't turn...and the set-up also impairs braking effectiveness.

Cool bike Chuck. One nice thing is that if there is a traffic jam then there is no problem. I sometimes envy those who ride when I am sitting on the 580 parking lot of the 99 south parking lot.

Back