• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Out of state xj - good deal?

arsieck

NAXJA Forum User
I just found a cherokee for sale that I think I want to pick-up this weekend.

1993 4.0L auto 4x4 2 door 150k 31" tires...he wants $1300, Im shooting for $1100.

Anyway the bigger issue is I live in NC and the jeep is in VA. Anyone have experience buying a VA car and getting it titled in NC?

I assume that all I need to do is make sure to get the title notarized in VA before I leave the seller. Any other things I should know?

Also, I will probably be looking at some extra taxes to make NCDOT happy, anyone know what this might look like?

Any experiences and comments are welcome, also I have a 1991 that I've been driving around with over 200k for years so I think I have a pretty good idea of what to look for on these older xj's but any pointers here would help to.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Do you have inspections in your area of NC? I think VA has them might make sure it will pass if that is your route. Other then that check with the NC4X4 guys they will know more about that. Tim and Nick might chime in.

Virginia doesnt do Notary, so all you need is the signed title, take it to the NCDMV, and they will register it, and send you a new title in the mail.

I bought my YJ from Virginia, was just like registering any other car, no hickups.

As for 93, inspection is not a big issue, my most recent inspection (YJ) I pulled up to my buddys shop, honked the horn, walked in my registration and left a few moments later legal. My 97 XJ has been much more of a pain.

Price sounds right.

Are you a resident of NC with an NCDL?

You will need to have the vehicle inspected in your County before registering it in NC. Keep that in mind when you are purchasing it for any additional costs. If you are not sure of inspection procedures please ask, we can steer you towards everything you will want to check.

Otherwise registering is the same ordeal as a vehicle you have bought in NC. Have a clear title with your name on it, no liens, and the proper forms and payment when you go to the DMV. Here is a link that provides all that info, I'm copying it from a mobile so if it doesn't work, just do some keyboard jockeying and pull up the NC DMV site and surf on over to "how to title and register a vehicle".

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/#inpagenav_0

#1 make sure its not a rebuilt vehicle or have a salvaged title! You will never be able to get it to pass inspection, or registered here.

Not completely true, mine had a salvage title in Nevada (it was stolen and had column/dash damage) and the girl who owned it registered it here in NC. Not sure of the process but it is possible. May still be much harder.

Back