• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Our new XJ flares!!!!

Hoping to finish up my rears this week and will post pictures.

I can't help myself.. don't take it too seriously please.. just a wisecrack.

Are you guys emailing JEEP to tell them you won't buy their product if they continue to put JEEP logos on them? Maybe that's 'different'.

Look forward to the pics! We are getting them out as fast as we can! Thanks for all the orders.

In regards to a 2 door option we are snooping around with those too. We are working on a lot of Jeep armor now!

Thanks again!

2 door please.

FINALLY! Got the rears installed so it's complete. I love these things. Black powder coat on a black XJ - you can hardly see them without getting close.Yeah, they're spendy but the first time I bang them hard on something, especially in the rear, they will have paid for themselves. If I never bang them, I'm not trying hard enough.

Had a couple little changes:

1. The washer bottle has been removed ('99). Didn't look like it would fit with the support bracket so just pulled it out and will install something in the engine compartment near where the air box used to be (next to my new Kleenoil bypass oil filter - http://www.kleenoilusa.com). Not a big deal. Beside that, it's really a poor place for a washer bottle after the inner fenders have been removed.

2. I used more riv-nuts than expected but only for my convenience, they weren't necessary. Did riv-nuts along the driver side rear since access is more difficult than the passenger side. Again, not a big deal, just easier. BTW/FYI: a thread on one or the forums expressed issues finding riv-nuts. I found them for $12/100 in 1/4-20 at Jay-Cee Sales. The thread posted that they were paying $4 each. The install tool is about $15.

3. I'd like Rusty to suggest a good way to seal up the inner fenders from dust, mud, water, etc. The front door hinges are now exposed so something needs to be done. I'm considering a pool noodle (black if I can find one) and maybe some expandable insulating foam to seal the deal. I'm certainly open to suggestions. If I come up with what I think is a killer setup I'll post it.

Next up I'm going to tie them into a cage.. looking at pre-fab if available but will probably just use the JCR base roof rack as a foundation and take it from there.

33s real soon as well.. 31s are a bit small. Will combo nice with the 4.56.

If you want pics I can try to post them up.

Good job Rusty! I hope you do well with these.

Gary

Last edited:
All good hints/points.

FINALLY! Got the rears installed so it's complete. I love these things. Black powder coat on a black XJ - you can hardly see them without getting close.Yeah, they're spendy but the first time I bang them hard on something, especially in the rear, they will have paid for themselves. If I never bang them, I'm not trying hard enough.

Had a couple little changes:

1. The washer bottle has been removed ('99). Didn't look like it would fit with the support bracket so just pulled it out and will install something in the engine compartment near where the air box used to be (next to my new Kleenoil bypass oil filter - http://www.kleenoilusa.com). Not a big deal. Beside that, it's really a poor place for a washer bottle after the inner fenders have been removed.

2. I used more riv-nuts than expected but only for my convenience, they weren't necessary. Did riv-nuts along the driver side rear since access is more difficult than the passenger side. Again, not a big deal, just easier. BTW/FYI: a thread on one or the forums expressed issues finding riv-nuts. I found them for $12/100 in 1/4-20 at Jay-Cee Sales. The thread posted that they were paying $4 each. The install tool is about $15.

3. I'd like Rusty to suggest a good way to seal up the inner fenders from dust, mud, water, etc. The front door hinges are now exposed so something needs to be done. I'm considering a pool noodle (black if I can find one) and maybe some expandable insulating foam to seal the deal. I'm certainly open to suggestions. If I come up with what I think is a killer setup I'll post it. We suggest a little clear caulk or your method should work fine too.

Next up I'm going to tie them into a cage.. looking at pre-fab if available but will probably just use the JCR base roof rack as a foundation and take it from there.

33s real soon as well.. 31s are a bit small. Will combo nice with the 4.56.

If you want pics I can try to post them up.

Good job Rusty! I hope you do well with these.

Gary

I have a couple on my iPhone but can't seem to remember how to get them here

Upload to tinypic, photobucket etc. and use the img link. Or just post the link.

Ok, here ya go.. I'll get more out this weekend after getting 33 x 10.5 KM2 mounted on BlackRoc fake beadlocks w/4.75" BS tomorrow. Net backspacing is 3.75" including Warn hubs front and 1" spacer rear to track match. Trying to tuck them for flex clearance and tire coverage. I don't mind flinging mud but don't like dodging it from inside the rig and needing windshield washer/wiper for my sunglasses or cleaning it off the dash and inside of the windhield. Might end up with 1" shackles rear and ACOS front for one more inch lift. I like the Outlaw II better than black out but wrong BS and didn't want to spend the few extra bucks on Outlaws. We'll see how it goes.

These are 31 x 10.5 Cooper STT. Hate to let them go but couldn't handle delaying the inevitable 33s. Running 4.56 ARB locked at both ends. Will hang onto the tire/wheel package for awhile then try to off them at a killer price for the buyer. All 5 tires are like new and the wheels have under 100 miles on them. Dumaxx got in a hurry and got 3.25 BS. Figure $200+ times 5 for tires and $100+ for new Outlaws.. sheet! Might take $1k for the whole shaboom. Have 5 like new ECCO wheels too but they're spoken for.

Mistakes will be made when building an XJ.

Rusty 1.jpg Rusty 2.jpg

Last edited:
In living color: Emailed the pics to my laptop, saved to desktop and did the Browse from Naxja attachments to upload. Long way around but got it done.
Give us your impressions.

How's that for a bump Rusty?

Rusty 3.jpg Rusty 4.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing you guys might want to see detailed closeups of what's underneath, mounting, fender roll, etc.? Can do that in the next couple days if you'd like. Not to show off my stuff but to help y'all decide if they're right for you. I could have done a writeup but the fender stuff is just like Napier pocket flares and standard fender trimming. (I say that like it's old hat for me. Truth be known I was nervous as hell with the saw in my hand to cut up my beauty for the first time. I could do that stuff ALL day long now. I'm talking ALL DAY LONG - name that movie) Being a new product it was a bit of a leap of faith for me but I don't think I'll ever regret the move. Customer service was darn good and personal and I like the finished product. Might actually get this thing on down the road in the near future and can send some poser shots with real scenery. Had this rig for 18 mo. or so and have put under 1k miles on it. Constant upgrades, changes to upgrades, and so forth and so on. Oh, the "R" isn't nearly as big as it appears on Rusty's page. Of course black on black makes it invisible. For me I would probably end up painting them body color - didn't care for the look on the other colored XJs.. just my taste. Actually, if I were to do it again I'd ask for raw steel and get them bed-linered like I did my front and rear bumpers. I'll do that later on if I scab them up or just hit them with some chassis black paint as needed. Is it sad when you're concerned about scratching armor.. yeah, probably. But I HATE RUST!

Still have to trim the excess off the JCR lower rear panel guards to match the rear fender trim and get them mounted back up and rivet the gas lid cover on.

Last edited:
Oh poop. I need a new speedo gear. Found the chart on Quadratec page but no listing for 4.56/33" in Long Shaft. Isn't the long shaft used in the '99 w/231 xfer case? I just bought one for the dang thing for 4.56/31s.. do I remember length.. hell no! Help

I hope I'm bass-ackwards and need the shorty for "electronic VSS". Dial me up gang. Guess I could get on the phone in the morning and ask the vendor or pull the old one out of the pile and measure.

Last edited:
2 w/new 33 x 10.5 KM2. Looks a little LCOG now. Don't mind that at all but rear spring relo brackets and front ACOS next up.

My son-in-law found lower front quarter panel guards on your Facebook Rusty? Is that a fact?

Looking for my freebie Rusty's ball-cap and/or T-shirt in the mail man.. ha ha.

photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

Last edited:
2 w/new 33 x 10.5 KM2. Looks a little LCOG now. Don't mind that at all but rear spring relo brackets and front ACOS next up.

My son-in-law found lower front quarter panel guards on your Facebook Rusty? Is that a fact?

Looking for my freebie Rusty's ball-cap and/or T-shirt in the mail man.. ha ha.

Something like this? :greensmok Next week we should have enough in inventory to start selling.

Rusty_Lower_zps2b25001c.jpg

Rusty,

Will you sell the panel guards individually? I'll only need the mini one up front, below your fenders, since I have sliders. Only a couple inches of the lower fender is vulnerable.. but I'll bet I could find a tree branch or such to wedge in there and twist it up.

Lemme know when they're available and I'll get 'em ordered up.

I am pretty/fairly certain that we are looking at a package or by the piece. Once they go "live" I will update this thread and start another thread just for those (and for you to post pics. :laugh:)

Rusty,

Will you sell the panel guards individually? I'll only need the mini one up front, below your fenders, since I have sliders. Only a couple inches of the lower fender is vulnerable.. but I'll bet I could find a tree branch or such to wedge in there and twist it up.

Lemme know when they're available and I'll get 'em ordered up.

Back