• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optimal tire size and lift height for gas milage?

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I am interested to find out with an XJ what is the best tire size and lift height for the best gas milage? I have the inline 6, 4 liter and stock front and rear axles. Currently I have a 6" lift and 33x12.5 tires. It is obvious that I get bad gas milage. Any thoughts...

To be honest w/ya, best tire size/lift for MPG's = 0" lift kit w/225x75's. But since I'm assuming you're not doin anything w/your 6"'s and 33's, the best thing you can do is regear and correct your speedometer.

PurpleCherokee said:
To be honest w/ya, best tire size/lift for MPG's = 0" lift kit w/225x75's. But since I'm assuming you're not doin anything w/your 6"'s and 33's, the best thing you can do is regear and correct your speedometer.
x2, maybe even a tire size smaller to be even a little bit better. (but who wants to do that?). I think the best option for mileage/wheeling might be 4.56's and 31's.

There's a guy around this next of the woods with 215 and a 2" drop. Im sure he's got great gas economy. Never was into lowered SUVs. Im sure 235s and 4.11 gears would be great for city milage, but might kill highway. The whole driving at 3300rpms hwy just dosnt seem like a fuel saver even though it where you make your toque.

IMO the best mileage retention tire/lift modification would be going up no more than 2" on 235's.

In your case I'd re-gear to 4.56 if you haven't already, assuming you don't want to drop to 3"- 4" and 31's.

Back