• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinion poll!

What should I do with my XJ for my cross-country move?

• Total voters
Are you on PCS orders? Are you moving your stuff or is a mover? If you're doing the U-haul thing just rent a trailer and load her up. If not and this is your only vehicle I'd drive it. Just do the normal maintenace things you'd do before a long trip. Make sure your cooling system is in top notch shape because you will be coming across some big hot deserts towards the end of the trip. Might even want to consider driving at night. Before I got my cooling system straightened out it was miserable to go on a road trip in the XJ in the summer.

I would sell it, a good unrusted cherokee is not too hard to find out here.

I guess it really depends on how much money you already have in it? Lifted, tires, lockers, bigger axles?

If it is mostly stock...sell it.

I'm joining my wife who is already there, and we're buying all new furnishings, I have 2 seabags full of clothes and that's it. ..Well, that and the ol' xj, so I don't need a u-haul..
..I'll need to drive here in town up until the day I leave, so selling it may prove difficult unless I can sell to someone whom I already know, or can at least relate to my perdicament..

Anyone want to buy a great cond '90 4d with 250G, close to stock with the exception of the door mod? haha ..Just kidding, don't flame me for not posting in the classifieds. I'll leave the poll up and get a few more opinions before I decide..

..But, if I decide to drive, I may post my route and try to get some of you between-here-and-there fellas to volunteer as "check points" in case something happens that I won't be able to fix with my tool box..

LucasFury said:
You're right, it wouldn't come close, haha. We'll only be there til february, so FL reg will suffice.
If you are moving to CA. the CA. law says reg must be done within 60 days.
I don't know if that is still true if you are short term.
Sam

XJ Samo said:
If you are moving to CA. the CA. law says reg must be done within 60 days.
I don't know if that is still true if you are short term.
Sam

My wife is Navy, which means I can retain my FL residency, and we won't be living on base, so there should never come a time when my emmissions should come into question. ..Thanks for the concern though!

It might cost you a lot more to get it legal in calif, they tend to frown on out of state vehicles unless it was sold as 'california legal' or '50 state legal', I forget which. I'd check that first.
I know when I was in you could keep your vehicle home of record state registered, even go several years w/o inspection provided you had the base sticker on it but you only had 24 hours to get it done once you got back to the home state.
If you could swing it find a 98 or newer, I believe that all vehicles were 50 state smogged in 97 or something.

You guys should read up on the smog laws. A vehicle only has to comply to the emission for which it was originally manufactured. So an out-of-state vehicle that was built as a "federal" car only has to meet fedral emissions standards, not CA standards...even when you bring it to CA.

I found this to be quite helpful when I bought an out of state car one time...no cat, no air pump, no egr, no problem.

The dilemna comes when you import a vehicle that has been modified. Such as bringing in a vehicle that originally came with a cat, but you hacked it off because in "insert state here", you didn't have to get it checked.

If it is original, and in good running condition, you shouldn't have any trouble with smog laws. Although from what I read about your situation, it won't matter.

If it had sentimental value, I wouldnt ever even think about leaving it behind. Otherwise, its better (IMHO) to buy another one after you settle. Preferably one that someone else has done tons of work...you know how it is: The value doesn't increase proportionally to the amount of effort put into it. I bet that you can pick-up one in much better condition just for a few hundred more...
Good luck
Boris

Sell it and replace it for all the reasons mentioned. The negatives outweigh the positives. Don't risk your rig letting you down if you think it may fail ya. Price it right, move it quick. Put your $$$ toward another early model XJ when you get to your destination. Early 90's XJ's here are cheap and usually in good shape if your willing to overlook some faded paint. More freeway miles than offroad miles on them usually. Especially in southern cal. Get yourself a bargain on a retired grocery getter from Pasadena and get :roll:. Welcome to Cali!

I really do agree with the idea of selling it and buying a different(hah, possibly better, built) one, I just don't want to take the kind of loss I'm sure I'd have to take in order to sell it the day before I fly over. ..I've only had it 3 months and I paid 1500 for it, and that was the -best- local deal I could find..
..Realistically, what would that get me in SoCal? I'm not talking about waiting to find a great deal, I'm gonna have maybe a week tops to be in something new..

LucasFury said:
I really do agree with the idea of selling it and buying a different(hah, possibly better, built) one, I just don't want to take the kind of loss I'm sure I'd have to take in order to sell it the day before I fly over. ..I've only had it 3 months and I paid 1500 for it, and that was the -best- local deal I could find..
..Realistically, what would that get me in SoCal? I'm not talking about waiting to find a great deal, I'm gonna have maybe a week tops to be in something new..

Sell it asap, get a $29 rental for your last couple or three days and drop it at the airport. I left a pretty custom VW at pearl harbor when I got stationed back on the east coast. Sold it to one of the guys in another watch section. That way it stayed in the commo division anyway :D :D :D

Start checking out craigslist in San Diego and surrounding areas (LA, Orange, etc) now for a replacement. Maybe one of the ones you've had your eye on now will still be around when you get here. The owner may be a little more flexible on the price at that point. If not it will at least give you an idea of what's out here and what prices they are going for.

reliablestv said:
sell it and go to rent a wreck. We have them in south fl. its like 30 bucks a day. and if you sell it how much would you want
OOOOOOOh a nibble :D

Back