• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board air question.

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, long time!

Ive got an old air compressor I barely use anymore and would like to mount it in the bed of my Dodge Ram. The only question I have is how to wire it up so it runs at full power? It would mostly be used for airing up tires after rides on the beach and maybe blowing up a raft. Could I run the main wire directly to the battery or tap into the fuse box?

Thanks in advance!

LOL...... well, um we need to know if this is a 12V air compressor or a 120V or 230V???? you just say "air compressor"...... :dunno:

If it's a 12V unit, I wouldn't have it connected to the vehicle's wiring anywhere for any reason. The amp draw is likely pretty steep and you could cause issues. Direct wire from the battery to an appropriate fuse block, proper fuse and then out to the compressor with a kill switch somewhere along the line would be probably the best set up.

Why mount it if it's not something that gets used all that often? Is this a weather proof/resistant compressor? How big is it? Why not just wire it up with some aligator clips, pop the hood, connect the leads and use it, then stow it?

Why mount it if it's not something that gets used all that often? Why not just wire it up with some aligator clips, pop the hood, connect the leads and use it, then stow it?

/\THIS/\
the only issue you would have is size/weight of the compressor.
but then again. you could get a small compressor with a 2 or 3 gallon tank and it would do everything you need. and if its a small compressor, you could probably get away with a power converter that you plug into the cig lighter.
just a thought

Last edited:
Sorry, it's a 120V 2 gallon compressor. Nothing fancy. Used to use it for my finishing nailers but have upgraded to Dewalts. I've been doing a lot of beach fishing and driving in the sand which requires deflation so I'd prob use it more than I think. we also float the river every weekend and blowing up tubes and rafts gets annoying. I'm also a contractor, so having acces to air in the back of my truck for nailers and other truck bed projects could be useful.

Now the 120V you say I'd tap into a fuse box? How are the Vair or warn OBA systems wired? Should be similar to a basic compressor...?

That's going to require an inverter. A good one is more than a decent used 12v compressor. There are cheaper ones but I don't have any experience with them.
I would guess that your compressor although small is going to draw significantly so a good inverter would be recommended if your dead set on using that compressor.

an inverter is going to be your best bet.

inverter will also allow you to have the compressor seperate so you can use it for other things, or plug into any outlet.

i think trying to wire it to your system is just a huge hassle.
the power inverter will eliminate all of that and you will be able to do what you want and then some.
power inverter will allow you to plug in anything with a regular house plug (to a certain voltage)

Yeah, for that compressor, you're going to need an RV grade power invertor 12V to 120V. You'll need to wire that to your battery and then mount the invertor inside the cab where it'll get good air flow and not be covered by anything - a hot invertor will spell disaster if it melts/blows. Then you can either just plug the compressor into the inverter when you want to use it, or wire it up.

I still say don't mount the compressor, but just give it a place it can be secured, but removeable - nothing worse than having something mounted in the bed and then need the space. Or get a truck bed tool box and mount it inside the box..... just give it adequate air circulation. I'm thinking that you're not going to want to mount/leave that compressor out in the open/elements...... probably wouldn't last long.

Here's a write up I found about your same questions......

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425016

Back