• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu kits - no search results?

fizassist

NAXJA Member #1052
Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find any results for "ome" or "emu" in any post in any forum.

I'm looking for a lift that will let me run 31" tires, and I'm looking at the following right now:

RE 3.5" super-ride with full leaf packs
RE 3.5" super-flex with full leaf packs
OME kit

Searching here, I see plenty of comparisons between the two RE kits, but I'm interested in the OME option. Googling shows that they are supposed to be a "better than stock" ride, but I haven't seen whether or not there really is a "OME kit" or whether vendors just put together their own kits.

Any thoughts on OME compared to the others?

Thanks!
fiz

I would go with the RE. I've had many different iterations of the OME stuff, and was always satisfied with the ride, but not the overall feel of the vehicle.

With the RE stuff, the ride is a bit more stiff, but I likee the handling and such better.

I will recommend that you go with OME shocks no matter if you do OME or RE.

HTH

Fergie

Most vendors put together their own kits from what I have found. I have OME 934 ZJ front coils and the XJ HD leaf's in the back and netted about 2 inches of lift. The ride is really good. I just made the mistake of buying crap shocks (Rancho), as I ran out of money in the process and couldn't get the OME shocks. I run 30x9.50's but can fit 31x10.50's no problem. Call Dirk over at dpgoffroad.com he knows his OME stuff. I have pictures here http://www.young-fam.com/jeep/

I got my OME med duty kit from Quadratech. It came with leafs, springs, and shocks. I love the ride quality and also got just over 2" of lift. Only problem was the "kit" did not come with bushings and I had to order them seperatly.

PM Sniggs on the board here... His 99 is set up with an RE 3.5" Superflex and OME long travel shocks. His ride is the shiznittiest. I didn't want to give it back when I was done driving it. :confused1

rixgns.jpg

What Phil said above!

'99 XJ, 4-door Sport, RE 3.5" "Super-Flex" 6030, OME Nitro Chargers, Tom Woods SYE & Custom Shaft, Wild Country 31x10.50x15 EXTs on Allied Type 51 Daytonas (4.5" BS), Yakima Rack, 4.0L, Airaid Intake & JCR Rock Rails.

Best ride EVER!! :D

rixjtg.jpg

Here it is high centered in the snow last weekend!! :D

rixkox.jpg

Sniggs said:
rixgns.jpg

What Phil said above!

'99 XJ, 4-door Sport, RE 3.5" "Super-Flex" 6030, OME Nitro Chargers, Tom Woods SYE & Custom Shaft, Wild Country 31x10.50x15 EXTs on Allied Type 51 Daytonas (4.5" BS), Yakima Rack, 4.0L, Airaid Intake & JCR Rock Rails.

Best ride EVER!! :D

Hmm...you paint a convincing picture! Thanks for all the input, guys.

ECKSJAY said:
PM Sniggs on the board here... His 99 is set up with an RE 3.5" Superflex and OME long travel shocks. His ride is the shiznittiest. I didn't want to give it back when I was done driving it. :confused1

Good comments but I dont have any idea what 'shiznittiest" means?? I thought it was something bad as I thought you were trying to get past the checker by adding in the ZN!

Eagle said:
Yes, that about sums it up:

"Expresses extensive emotional satisfaction or glorification of any given noun. Often used by those who lack the vocabulary to express the true essence of the situation." :explosion

Also used by sarcastic SOBs who tire of regularly exercising proper vernacular. ;)

If the XJ weren't my DD and I didn't have little ones, I'd have gone Sniggs' route. Instead I went ahead and got the HD 2" OME kit (springs front and rear, and shocks from Quadratech. I've been really impressed with the ride and so have most of the guys who wind up riding shotgun with me. The overall ride is pretty good, though I agree that the feel of it wasn't as good as it had been. I'm getting the steering stabilizer ASAP. And don't feel bad, its hard to turn up good results regarding OME specifically, I had a hell of a time turning up answers to all my questions.

Just be forewarned if you're doing the lift yourself...those leaf springs are bound to be a serious bitch.

lost1 said:
I've been really impressed with the ride and so have most of the guys who wind up riding shotgun with me. The overall ride is pretty good, though I agree that the feel of it wasn't as good as it had been..

Does this mean that it felt better stock? I have an 85 XJ and I'm looking at OME. I have yet to do any offroading, so I'm going more for the aesthetics and the purported "better than stock" ride. Should I reconsider?

Did you search OME?
Anyway, call Dirk at DPG. He carries OME and RE, and has combination kits. Good advise too.
I have OME springs, and shocks and got 4" in the rear and then leveled the front with a spacer. Great ride.

Regarding searching.... Check out the "Google It" section of my Guide to Searching. Because "OME" and "EMU" are only 3 letters long, the NAXJA search engine doesn't pick them up, but Google will!
HERE is a sample search through Google.

Now, regarding OME, I've only ran the shocks, but they made for a GREAT ride. I only ditched them because I couldn't find OME shocks long enough for my next lift.

HTH,
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Regarding searching.... Check out the "Google It" section of my Guide to Searching. Because "OME" and "EMU" are only 3 letters long, the NAXJA search engine doesn't pick them up, but Google will!

D'OH! Thanks for the tip. Maybe search could return an error or info message if 3-letter terms are used? Silent failure is bad. ;)

Back