• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok, Jeep doing dumb things.....HELP please

here's the header install......

100_6350.jpg

100_6351.jpg

100_6352.jpg

100_6353.jpg

so, after test driving it about a mile or so, it started smoking like crazy! Pulled over and crawled underneath, ans all the smoking was coming from the cat. casing. Is there a coating they put on these things that has to burn off? I found a quick place to turn around, and headed straight home. On the way home it smoked quite a bit less. By the time I got home it was done smoking.

Yup, that's common. Drive it like you stole it! :)

well it's not the brakes. Had them all checked out and re-adjusted. It feels like a couple cyclinders are shutting off or something. Going to see if Autozone has a compresion checking tool I can borrow. And check all plugs, wires, cap, rotor.....?

well it's not the brakes. Had them all checked out and re-adjusted. It feels like a couple cyclinders are shutting off or something. Going to see if Autozone has a compresion checking tool I can borrow. And check all plugs, wires, cap, rotor.....?

But its the same issue you were talking about there, right?
Man its too bad you aren't closer to Littleton.

Fuel pressure. If you trust it as far as Golden, I'll be out in the driveway Sunday. I have a compression testor and fuel pressure gauge.

Ok, problem is getting worse, MUCH WORSE! The exhaust system, and the fire, was just coincidence, I guess. Now the jeep runs like total crap below 2000 RPM's. Doesn't run good at all. 5th gear is almost worthless, as it has no power. It just continues to slow down. 4th doesn't do great either. I got a stethoscope and checked all the injectors, and they all sound the same. Going to check impedance after I eat something. Can't find a vaccum leak. Also going to THOROUGHLY check all the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.

When doing a continuity check on injectors and wires, what should i be looking for? On plug wires, I assume very low resistance. On injectors? I'm REALLY close to taking this thing to the dealership, and giving it the 'ol boot. Right now I'm not sure I'll make it to work each morning.

Ok, not to jinx myself........but it appears to be idleing better already. Changed out the cap, rotor, and fuel filter. The cap and rotor had some carbon build-up. Nothing significant, but enough to tell it had been a while since replacement. Changed the fuel filter, pretty much cause it was the last thing in the fuel system besides the pump, and cause I still think it's a fuel starvation problem. Well, as I said, it appears to be idleing better, but we'll see on the drive tomorrow, when I put some real miles on it.

Back