• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oh NO death wobble!!!

XJNoah

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I've got a mix and match re 4.5" lift and at upper speeds its fine, but when I am between 30 and 45mph I get death wobble. Usually when I barely touch the brakes. I can get it to stop by speeding up...weird huh. I've got an adjustable track bar and got my caster eyeballed out a bit with some spacers, but I haven't got an alignment yet after the lift.

Any ideas?

Oh and the main ghetto rigged deal is that the front RE shocks I have were blown so I through on my old procomp ones made for a 2" lift. They are pretty much stretched full to get them on. Think that could be the problem?

Get some proper shocks on there, get the alignment right ... if you still have the same problem it's likely your brake discs need resurfacing or replacing.

Mike

and make sure that your trac bar mount is tight.

Best thing to do is to get under the front end as your wife turns the steering wheel back and forth and look for something that moves when it isn't supposed to, or somethign that doesn't move as quickly as the rest of it.

How old are the control arm bushings?. old or worn bushings can contribute to the death wobble.

Mine came from the U joints in the front drive shaft. Vibes from 45-50 would cause the bad U joints to shake untill I slowed down enough.

Thanks guys...getting some new shocks friday... tightened the track bar (was tight already something like 80lbft) going to get some new discs too...gotta wait a while though kinda broke right now...did the whole shake the wheel back and forth and I didn't see anything shake out of the norm. hhhmmm I might need to look at the u-joints.

Back