• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odometer Fraud

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the short version:

My niece bought a used car from a dealer yesterday. AFTER she brought it home, she got the Carfax history. And of course she declined the contract cancellation option. As is, no warranty.

The odometer has been rolled back.

As of 9-28-15 it was sold at auction with 258,435 miles.
It was sold to a dealer in Buena Park who offered it with 120,193 miles.
Then it was sold again at auction to the dealer that my niece bought it from.

She would not have bought the car if she knew it had a quarter million miles on it.

Anyone ever dealt with this sort of thing before?

Well, problem solved... Believe it or not the dealer is willing to take the car back... I'm actually shocked.

All's well that ends well.

He has no choice, you can't "as is" your way out of fraud. He has just opted for exposing himself to the least amount of consequences.

He has no choice, you can't "as is" your way out of fraud. He has just opted for exposing himself to the least amount of consequences.

Well, my only thought on that was the fact that the dealer she bought it from, bought it at auction with the odometer already rolled back.

I figured this dealer would tell us to pound sand because there is no way we could prove that they were the ones to roll it back.

Like I said though, they were more than willing to take it back, so all is good...

Burden of proof is different in civil cases. Glad to hear that things went the easy way.

Besides, if your niece got the CARFAX, it's a safe bet that they got it too and were likely aware of the discrepancy. Bent is right:
He has just opted for exposing himself to the least amount of consequences.

Back