• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd gas pump video

It must have been the static from her pulling on her shirt. I have seen things like that happen on tv before. Here in IL they have it posted at the gas pumps that you should not pump gas into a plastic container or use a cell phone while pumping gas due to this happening.

It was caused by the static charge built up by her sitting back down in the driver's seat and then getting back up and going to the nozzle without grounding herself first. Supposedly it happens to women more than men because they are more likely to go back and sit in the driver's seat during refueling.

Several people have tested the cell phone issue, and they've said it's a myth (MythBusters on Discovery, Snopes.com, etc.).

Plastic containers on plastic truck beds can build up a static charge, which is why gas stations tell you to refill in on the ground.

-SNB

Yep. It was static discharge.

Really makes think -- just a little spark.

Don't smoke, don't use your cellphone, don't rub your butt on your seat, don't fidget with your wool/synthetic sweater. :flame:

Up here we don't have the 'ON' interlock on the nozzels anymore.

I believe that you are supposed to leave the nozzel in the filler neck -- just release the interlock.

I saw some guy pull the nozzel before releasing the interlock while it was flaming -- that just helped spread the fire.

As a Petroleum Transfer Technician (I pump gas at the local full serve), I would just like to say it is a very dangerous job to send us kids out to do. In the last 5 years, I've been hit by a car speeding into the station 3 times, twice by people just maaking a u-turn and not even buying our gas, seen 2 fires like that, numerous people driving off while gas is still pumping sending it everywhere, and plenty of people ramming into the barriers next to the pumps.

That was from her getting in and out of the car, its okay to do that as long as you touch something metal to ground yourself before you go back to the nozzle. This is the same reason plastic gas cans are supposed to be filled on the ground with the nozzle touching the can.

Dean

I watched a story on the news regading this the same day it happened to my girlfriend (weird!). We never had to worry about it before growing up in so. cal., but I guess it is a problem in Colorado. The worst thing they (fire department) say you could do is pull the nozzle out of the tank inlet. It is when people panic and try to pull it out right away when things go really bad.

I'm confused on something here. Aren't most car gas tanks plastic? Do the tires do the samething as putting the tank on the ground?

When you have a plastic gas tank on carpet in the trunk of your car or on a platic bed liner and they slide they can create static electricity and static shocks that can ignite gas fumes.

Static discharge.

VERY scary stuff. I ended up with 2nd degree bvurns on 25% of my body from a static discharge while pouring race gas out of a 5 gallon can on a 95* day. lots of vapor in the air=HUGE fireball.

ALWAYS ground yourself before pouring or pumping gas.

Had she reached up and touched the roofline or at least the doorframe as she was getting out, I doubt there would have been a fireball. Taking it out was another stupid move, and she didn't seem to be in any hurry to report it either.

SoCal vs CO probably didn't have the same problem because the drier air here is more prone to allowing you to build up a static shock.

I watched the 'Mythbusters' show and was disappointed that they didn't do a thorough test after going through all the setup. Ordnance handlers know that our toys are most dangerous and susceptible to unscheduled detonation during electrical conditions or when there is radio transmission. 'MB' only had the phone ring, they did not have any transmissions from the phone that are more likely to build up a static charge. Oh well...

Up here we don't have the 'ON' interlock on the nozzels anymore.

They are slowly taking those interlocks away from us around here too.... I have found that an empty 16 or 20oz plastic pop/soda bottle shoved in there will keep the pump flowing and it will still auto shut off when its almost full...

mac 'always check oil/antifreeze/brake/wiper fluids when pumping gas' gyvr

macgyvr said:
They are slowly taking those interlocks away from us around here too.... I have found that an empty 16 or 20oz plastic pop/soda bottle shoved in there will keep the pump flowing and it will still auto shut off when its almost full...

mac 'always check oil/antifreeze/brake/wiper fluids when pumping gas' gyvr

I use a snap ring that I keep my keys on that I got from the army...

CaptTrev said:
here in NY, the gas cap itself, fits very well in the handle of the gas pumps... (to keep it pumping)

I usually do that, but the gas cap on my 95 is attached and won't reach. I don't want to cut it off since it keeps me from losing it. :dunce:

Back