• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No crank, no start, no click

Pronage

NAXJA Forum User
Got someone to do an engine swap and after it was all said and done theres no crank. Starter doesnt even engage at all. Bought a new one and relay and nothing.

Then i made sure all the wires were connected and the CPS and NSS was all on and they were. Tried it in neutral and nothing. Jumped the starter and it spins. Tried the remote start and nothing so i spun the motor by hand and it spun.

I can hear the click of the relay when i turn the ignition switch so i know that good.

I got no idea what going on.

Any ideas.

I'm not real familiar with the 92, I've messed around with the 93 before. Follow the the small brown wire back from the starter solenoid. I'm guessing to the PDC and then to the starter relay. In some models there is a connector for this wire just before it enters the PDC. If it is the same setup I'm familiar with, you can unplug the brown wire from the connector and touch it directly to the positive terminal of the battery. You may have to extend the brown wire a little with another piece of wire to make it. Try not to flash burn the brown wire connector.
This will tell you if your problem is after the relay or before the relay.

If the relay is closing (click) it means the neutral safety switch is likely OK, the relay grounds through the neutral safety switch.

Your setup may be different to what I'M referring to, it is likely very similar or the same.

The main power going into the starter relay is fused. The starter relay can work (click), but may not have any main power going to it. If there is no main power going to the starter relay, it will likely affect other things also, the fuse is a major fuse, maybe 40 amp. I think this fuse also supplies power to the ASD relay, no spark or fuel is the outcome if the ASD relay has no main power.

The relays have an activation circuit, power in and then to ground which switches the relay. And main power, switched current, that runs whatever you are trying to power up.

I do have fuel. And ya its a 60 fuse and its not blown.

I will try following the wire back and testing it to see if I have power going to the relay.

The guy who did the swap for me did take out the tranny and xfer case for some reason but I checked the nss and cps for bent pins and stuff and nothing so I'm not positive it would be that but I will try anyway.

If the relay in the PDC clicks, it is probably okay but it is easy to swap it with the A/C or aux fan relay to confirm. Good to always keep a couple of new relays on hand for testing and the inevitable projects.

The starter solenoid positive contact is right out in the open and it is very easy to begin by putting a test light or meter on that to make sure you are getting current. If not, work back from there.

I just had the exact same symptoms on my '93 and it turned out to be the starter itself.

I would add that there is no guarantee that it will start in neutral with a bad NSS. The best way to check this is hold the key in the start position while moving the shifter back and forth between start and park. I borrowed a friend's beater XJ several years ago and had to go through this routine every time I started it.

Well I just bought a new relay and starter so I don't think its either of them.

That's NSS trick will be handy though thanks!

the start circuit grounds through the NSS, but the back up lamp circuit only uses the NSS to complete a circuit. I'd say, based on the starter working when jumped and the back up lamps working, that you've got a bad ground in the NSS circuit-- IIRC it grounds at the dipstick tube mount, but I'm not sure why I think that.

Look for a wiring diagram for your model and try to determine where the start circuit reaches ground after the NSS and work backward from there to the NSS.

the start circuit grounds through the NSS, but the back up lamp circuit only uses the NSS to complete a circuit. I'd say, based on the starter working when jumped and the back up lamps working, that you've got a bad ground in the NSS circuit-- IIRC it grounds at the dipstick tube mount, but I'm not sure why I think that.

Look for a wiring diagram for your model and try to determine where the start circuit reaches ground after the NSS and work backward from there to the NSS.

Got the starter to work. Was a bad ground found by hours of digging in wires ha ha.

Now it wont turn over LOL!

Hoping its just because its a new 0km engine in need of a lot of priming.

Note from DJ
Congratulations solving the first part of the problem.

Now the question is did you get your Jeep to start yet or do you still need help?

No I didn't. I am thinking about just taking it to a mechanic with proper tools as I'm out in no where with a shitty volt metre.

I pulled the cps off for 5 mins to reset it in the ecu and still no start. Tested the coil and no spark. Havnt pulled of the injectors yet cuz I figure with the cps trick not working its not that so I'm kinda stumped. I got a good couple hourse of free time soon so maybe I can try and find it then hopefully.

asd relay will cause no spark at coil, i had my coil hotwired for a while before I realized it was a sometimes faulty relay, and for a while I mean 2 years

Back