• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ guy in WA state...

Nui 'Ula

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all!

Been a long time since I've owned an XJ...I just picked one up that some of you may recognize that was for sale on CL and Facebook recently (located in Lakewood, WA). Just thought I'd say hello and let you guys know what the plans are for the "build."

Our new XJ:
'95 4.0L, 5 spd, 220k...starts, runs, drives great...evidence of some minor leaks (oil pan or filter housing, possibly valve cover)...33" KM2's, 4.5" RC long arm setup (basically a 3-link; one of the uppor control arms and mounts are missing), crossover steering, frame stiffening plates front to rear (the front most plates are not yet welded in), rear rock bumper w/ recovery points, sliders, Warn M6000 winch with control box hard-wired in under the hood (but the PO sold the bumper separately, so I can't mount the winch).

D35 non-C-clip with a broken axle shaft and re-geared to 3.55; D30HP front with stock 3.07's (with a 3.55 set already in a carrier that I need to install). 52" light bar wires and mounts installed, but the light bar was stolen. Stout cargo rack on top.

We paid $2000. I am trying to be "all in" and trail ready for $3500 total ($1500 for stuff).

Driving style/use:
I am NOT a hardcore guy! We are moderate off-roaders, with trips once every 2-3 months. I have owned D35's on 33" / 3.55 auto XJ's, and I have never broken one; I'm more the "finesse" type. Trips in the SoCal area were anything in Big Bear and Panamint Valley mostly. The XJ will be street driven at least part time, and will need to tow a pop-up trailer. The next trip we have lined up (November, Panamint valley) will involve 2,000 miles of highway driving while towing the pop-up, so I am a fan of well-mannered A/T's for tires.

My build/repair/maintenance list (aka, how quicky $1500 disappears):
Maint/gaskets/fluids, $250 ish
A-A-L to correct rear sag, $75 ish
Rear axle repair/replace, $300-400
New 33" A/T's, $625
Light bar, $100
Front winch bumper, $200 (custom/DIY kit)

...at this point, I have a lot of projects on my plate, so for the sake of simplicity and expediency I'm planning to pick up a pair of 3.55 axle assy's this weekend that I can just swap in without needing to re-gear. I've ordered the AAL's and light bar, and I will order up the tires later tonight - so in about 7 days or so, I should be able to hit a trail! We're planning on doing the Gambler 500 in Portland in July as a shakedown, but if anyone can recommend trails that are fairly close to us in Lacey, let me know! :cheers:

18698143_10154682566639071_8829166422014326592_n.jpg

18664451_10154682566949071_4686868810459790819_n.jpg

Welcome! nice rig, I'll look for you at the Gambler!

Hello from University Place! I just got my red 2 door to trail mode and took it out to Tahuya State forest for a shake down run. It all went well (Tahuya trail crews have been busy) and am ready for heading over Naches Pass and a run up Fortune Creek (near Cle Elum). If you want to hit some trails let me know, I usually run with my 13 year son and occasional with my Old English Bulldog :)

Ron

Back