• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New trailer to haul the cherokee

I just ran across a trailer for the cherokee and bought it. It is an older twin axlw metal car hauler type. And the best part, is that upon pickup I noted that it was built using truck wheels (easier to replace tires), and that it has drum brakes on the back axle. So I can hook up a brake kit pretty easy. I am super stoked.

Best $1200 I have spent so far.
2011-07-17_19-58-10_517.jpg

Any Suggestions on a brake kit? The guy I bought it from had no idea that it used to be connected for brakes. It looks like I just need an actuator, some wiring and some new brake hardware.

similar to my trailer.. drum brakes on one axle.. are they 5 lug? I too would like to put E-brakes on mine.. keep this updated if you can.. would love to see how things turn out!

6 lug wheels. I found a few websites that sell electric drums that just bolt on, assuming you have the room. Since the drums are already there it should be cake to put them together with a new electric package.

You can also get bolt on disc setups pretty cheap, but those require a hydraulic actuator which costs some dough. I don't need that much stopping power. I am not racing with the thing. If the road gets rough I just slow down.

similar to my trailer.. drum brakes on one axle.. are they 5 lug? I too would like to put E-brakes on mine.. keep this updated if you can.. would love to see how things turn out!

If yours is 5 lug I may have a spare pair of electric backing plated that will fit.

Dave.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dave... davey.. david buddy.. we need to hang out a little more often my friend..:flipoff:

brought the Cherokee home today. 4 hour trip, ran between 70 and 80 the whole way. No Sway, pulled nicely. I did have to back the XJ up a bit on the trailer though, and strap it real well instead of pulling it up to the wheel stops. Just had too much weight on the tongue.

I guess I need to try backing it up on the trailer, that way I can get the motor and tranny a little closer to the wheels instead of up front. Anyone else have better luck loading the jeep backwards?

Your UHaul must rent much better trailers than mine does...

Nah. Just learn the right spot, and try to put it there consistently.

Robert

Uhaul trailers all have surge brakes. I'm not sure if they sell trailers like they do trucks. Might be too much liability in that.

You could always get some garage parking bumpers to put on the deck once ytou find the sweet spot so it's consistently loaded.

Back