• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New To NAXJA

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Hello everyone.

I just bought a 99 XJ Sport today (my first Jeep). I'm not a total stranger to them (my parents have a 03 KJ). Anywho, mine will pretty much stay stock, as i'm not going to have any money once I pay it off (in a few years).

More about the Jeep. It's got Selec-Trac, 4.0L (wouldn't have any other engine), auto tranny, power windows, locks, mirrors. It's not stripped, but it's not heavily equipped either. It DOES have an aftermarket CD Player (Jensen if I remember correctly). I bought it from carmax and it will be in my driveway tomorrow.

I took it out for a test drive today and loved every minute of it. It's quick off the line, good turning radius, and rode pretty good compared to the IFS in the KJ i'm used to riding/driving.

Once I get it home i'll get some pics up. My questions were, what do I need to look out for in the coming miles (it has just under 62,000 now). Anything major I need to keep my eye on? I do know the 4.0L will run forever if taken care of (seen my fair share of clunker XJ's recently). Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am up in the High Point, NC area.

62k is low miles for a 99, *good year :cheers:*
don't assume all has been maintained properly
especially with somethin as pricey as a trans unless you have a receipt from when it was service that would be the first thing i would have done,
other than that drive it like you stole it,,, after you verify all fluids are @ proper levels

I checked everything yesterday while I was down there and all it really needs, that I could see there, was a little bit of coolant. No biggie. Tranny fluid looked pretty good.....like it had been changed recently. I'll probably end up doing that myself shortly.

Thanks for the input.....wasn't to sure on where to post the origional message.

welcome to naxja. you got a great truck. and you'll see if you hang out here long enough your bound to catch inchitis.

Well, I purchased it today, got about a block from the lot, and my friend who was following me called me (while I was making a left turn with my signal on) and asked "Why are your hazards on?"

Got it home and did a test and sure enough, they came on with the signal.....in just the rear...not the front. Cut them off, and back on again, and it went away, then did the same, and they were back on again.

Now it's back at carmax for a new turn signal switch....HOPEFULLY I will have it home tomorrow, as I had a blast in the 30 min I got to drive it today.

sorry i was a jerk at first.....welcome to the boards.....you'll like that jeep as long as you take care of it, it won't let you down.....for as keeping it stock.....i think most people would agree that cherokees look much better lifted.....i predict a 3.5" RE lift and 32's in your future or maybe larger.....im getting the RE 4.5" Put on mine on wesenday.....this will be my second RE lift cause i wrecked my old one over thanksgiving R.I.P. but welcome

I think they look friggin awesome lifted, I'm just flat broke....no money for a lift :(

But believe me, I will take care of this thing. But at the same time i'll take it off road on occasion. Hopefully I'll get her back sometime today. The part has to come from a Jeep dealer outside of town......

well she's home now. The switch was fixed today and it's no longer a problem.

My question is, can anyone tell me anything more on Selec-Trac? Perhaps it's reliability? I know Command-Trac has been around for ever and is tough as nails, but i've heard mixed reviews on the Selec-Trac. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to know a little more about the Tranny. I can tell it's OBVIOUSLY a Truck Transmission (perhaps shared with the Ram???) based on the way it clunks into Drive sometimes (but I have found letting it chill in Neutral a second or two will stop the clunking, but it shift very smooth going down the road).

I also noticed it appears that the struts on mine were recently replaced. I was wondering why it rode smooth for a Jeep. The previous owner also took a nice set of rims off an older Laredo and put em on there as well as a bitchin Jensen Stereo.

All in all, I love it! I plan to keep it a long time! :)

You're gonna love that XJ. I bought a '99 Sport six months ago after destroying a Blazer and selling a CJ-7 before it rusted completely away. These beasts will grunt through anything if you treat 'em right. When it comes time for new tires you'll love the BFG A/T KO's (30x9.50 is the largest to fit under a stock '99 XJ) They make no noticeable noise or vibration and will roll over or through anything but the snottiest of mud. A buddy of mine has 65,000 miles on his (lotsa Utah use) and is just now having to buy a new set.

the tranny is an AW-4 asian warner 4 speed and is not shared across our (chrysler) platforms. I've never met anyone who knows alot about this transmission. No one I've worked with has ever been into one. they are a maytag repairmans worst nightmare,they don't break. the first xj i had has 207652 miles on it and has never been serviced. (i don't rec. not servicing them).
I don't remember the command or select trac names and which goes to which but the 231 is great the others are good.

isn't slec trac in 4 H all the time or something like that cause i know thats whats in my friends grand cherokee....its kinda weird i would like it really cause it doesn't do all that much so your pretty much gotta you 4L. But i don't im just speakin my mind i guess.

about in clunking when first putting it in drive put it in nuetral and if it rolls forward then your all set, if it sits go in the opposite direction for a few inches then stop and put into drive and roll out. My ZJ has the same issue thats how I have learned to avoid it. Granted you have a driveway with a slope. Back it in for a week or so and try that method above, mine went away.

for the clunking, it will only clunk if i go from reverse to drive in a hurry (used to that modified car/minivan tranny in the KJ). If I let it chill in Neutral for a couple of seconds, it shift right into drive like nothing is wrong.

As for selec-trac, it has the 4 full time option, but I would imagine you can kiss any gas milage good by if you run it all the time. I choose to leave it in 2wd unless I need it for snow, and minor off roading, where part time 4X4 does just fine.

Gotta send her back to the shop Monday :(, needs power steering fluid BAD, and my brakes are suqeeling and scraping (the metal on metal scraping). I thought Carmax checked all this out before they sold their cars????? (I'm taking FULL advantage of my 30-Day, "we'll fix anything" warranty)

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but...

my 98 was clunking from the N to D position and i believe that was supposta be a warning to my u joints that went out recently. maybe you wanna double check em. especially if it gets worse. if you have a grease gun you can slide under there and find the nipples on each joint to fill them up.

thanks for the heads up. If I let it chill in neutral for about 2 seconds the clunking goes away. But if I go straight from reverse to drive it will clunk will happen about 85% of the time.

If they're gonna go, they need to go now so it will be a FREE fix...LOL

Back