• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tires and gears!!

don't portals have some rediculous reduction in them? If I'm thinking of the right axles, it has seperate gears at the wheel? The guys at Hogan's Offroad park in Disney, Oklahoma run them on all their rigs, they're crazy buggies. I'll see if i can get a picture up here.

here it is

OKbuggy.jpg

This is Hogan's rig, if anyone ever finds themself in the middle of the continent and wants to go wheeling.

don't portals have some rediculous reduction in them? If I'm thinking of the right axles, it has seperate gears at the wheel?
There are a couple types of Portals out there, most prevelent being the Unimog 404 Portals. Volvo also built some, the C303 and there is a comapny called Portal-Tek that manufacturers their own boxes and can be bolted on any axle, like a Spider 9.

The reduction in the boxes is around 3-4 (depending on the design), putting overall ratio in the 7:1 range.

155.jpg

160-1.jpg

162.jpg

-----Matt-----

here it is

OKbuggy.jpg

This is Hogan's rig, if anyone ever finds themself in the middle of the continent and wants to go wheeling.

Correct. Those look like Mog 404's from the limited pictures.

My next project (on paper currently) with Mog's (7.56:1), 4spd Atlas (10.34:1) and 700R4 Tranny with 43" TSL SX's is well over 300:1 crawl ratio IIRC.
Now if I just had the time and money to get it done.:banghead:

Michael

that looks like currie steering on that shiny unlimited/brand new portals. Damn matt, i hate you for goin to Sema! BTW, urs looks sweet on those 37's. Don't let anybody tell you the tires are too big :) on the other hand, you do favor the skinny pedal... i've survived 35's on a 30 and "done up" pig (dana 35) for numerous trips. The ultimate goal though is either currie or rock jock 60's, once i get my engineering job in a couple years.

Back