• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new rings why is my 4.0L still smoking?

well I thought that I was fixing the problem of smoking on my 93 Cherokee 4.0L. I started out with 2 bent rods so I replaced the rods and while I had the pistons out I honed all the cylinders and replaced the rings with cast iron rings so that they would seat faster. I foolishly assumed that the head was in good shape because it looked pretty fresh. Everything looked like it went together really clean, engine sounds great, good power, 140 PSI all cylinders, BUT IT STILL SMOKES!!! DANG!!!

I'm thinking that it must be valve seals because it smokes more at an idle but I've just proven that I'm no expert. I'm hoping a real expert might coment on this before I pull the head off unneccessarily. Any help?

Thanks

If it were my jeep I would pull the head and have it decked, and in a new head set you get new valve guide seals. Have the machine shop put those in the are tuff if you have never done them and dont have the tools. machine bill $60-$100 parts $125-$200 good luck

Sounds like valve stem seals if you have good compression. It is possible to replace the seals without pulling the head on the 4.0, it has "umbrella" seals...

ricko70 said:

I replaced the valve seals on my previous XJ without removing the head. Of idle there was always blue smoke that go away after a short run. The longer the idle the more intense the smoke. The old style seals that was on the XJ (a 1994 yera model) were the 'O' ring style. The replacements were the 'Umbrella' style.

Ricko70, I see you are in Kingman AZ. How is the wheeling there? I am thinking about a job there next year for about a year. What outdoor activities are available in Kingman?

If it smokes when you first start it in the morning or when you are coasting down a hill (compression braking) but not so much when you are in the throttle, then it is likely the valve seals.

88RIxj said:
yea definatly sounds like valves.try adjusting your rocker.

WTF? Helloooooooooooo

5-90 said:
I've not seen answers to two very important questions - so see my post earlier...

I'm not even going to guess what might be wrong - smoke can come in three colours, and can be present during various operating conditions. Someone answer my questions...

Oh yes it's blue smoke

2 post's above your original ....:looser:

Back