• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New radiator

Try using Sweptco Fluid, It is not only 10 times better than regular ATF, It will stop the trans from overheating.

I drove 400 miles with a transmission full of water in 2005, and its overheated ever since.

I've had a new aw4 sitting in the garage for ages, along with a 241or, just never got around to swapping them in. Last year I decided to to just pick up a new jeep to build, so for now I keep an eye on the temp and just let it go..

Have you ever seen how -I- wheel? ;)

It still shouldnt get warm on the highway. Towing 1800 pounds behind me up the cajon pass at WOT in 2nd gear, my temp gauge doesnt even consider moving.

My transmission boils over .. but my engine never even gets close to warm. :)
Going up a steep grade at no more than 20 MPH stuck behind slow vehicles will make it overheat in my rig. It stays in the low end of the range under most other conditions.

Going up a steep grade at no more than 20 MPH stuck behind slow vehicles will make it overheat in my rig. It stays in the low end of the range under most other conditions.

That sorta implies you should keep looking for your cooling problem then. Driving up a hill slowly should not overheat the rig..

Try using Sweptco Fluid, It is not only 10 times better than regular ATF, It will stop the trans from overheating.

I am also running Swepco and never thought about how that may be helping my cooling system. I went overkill on everything. I am running a Hesco pump, High flow water neck and 195 thermostat. A 10 blade cherokee fan and a new standard fan clutch from Napa. Also I have an Ebay all aluminum radiator from Oscar's radiator. I ran all weekend at TDS with the AC on and my guage stays at about 180 degrees. The only time I can get it to 210 degrees is at Glamis when I am running around on the rev limited for extended periods up and down the dunes. I know that I am running too cool for gas mileage, but it is a trail rig and I would rather that be the problem, than over heating.

Did you use the 20wt Sweptco? I am surprised that more people don't use it. It is so much better than Dex or Mercon.

Hey Rich I no we talked about the process changing out the existing fluid and puttin in the Sweptco but could we get you to post up a small list of what to do? I am goin to have a couple weeks with no wheelin and I think I am going to do it now along with a couple of other things.....SANTA

Well after putting my raditor setup through some real world trials I am still impressed with it's capabilities. It stayed out of the red and didn't get more than 3/4 to hot all weekend of wheeing at truckhaven. ON THE WAY HOME THOUGH, it got very hot when I had to drive realy slow behind a line of motorhomes and other vehicles climbing the grade out of the desert. It got just slightly into the red zone but never boiled over. When got to the top of the hill and was able to increase my speed, the temp returned to normal in seconds. All in all I am satisfied with the performance. I will install an engine oil cooler to help keep it in a more comfortable range during hill climbs etc.

Did you have any of these problems before you ran this setup? I lost my radiator in an accident yesterday and I need a new one. I was looking at this setup but I don't want to spend $450.00 and end up with overheating problems. I have a new engine that is pretty tight and runs a little hot as it is. It has been running cooler and cooler as it breaks in. I was running a CSF 3 Core all metal when I got into my accident. Thanks for any input.

Did you have any of these problems before you ran this setup? I lost my radiator in an accident yesterday and I need a new one. I was looking at this setup but I don't want to spend $450.00 and end up with overheating problems. I have a new engine that is pretty tight and runs a little hot as it is. It has been running cooler and cooler as it breaks in. I was running a CSF 3 Core all metal when I got into my accident. Thanks for any input.
Just prior to this setup I was running a cheap China all aluminum radiator and a Taurus fan. The radiator was comparable in size and capacity but was made cheaply. It ran hotter with that setup. Most notably, when it did get hot it took much longer for the other radiator to cool it back down. This one I have now gets the temp back down very quickly once it has sufficient air flow through the radiator. The fans work well at pulling air through. I think the reason it even got very hot the other day (note that it didn't boil over) is that I was going slow up a steep hill directly behind a line of other hot cars and there just wasn't enough cool air to pull through the radiator to keep the temp lower. It is possible there is another problem in my system but the radiator is clearly doing a great job as well as the fans.

Thank you. If you had it to do over again would you buy this same setup or go with something like the all metal CSF 3 core?

Get the CSF 3 row, that's going to be my next purchase. I had one in my old 89, and never had a problem with it. Just keep you stock fans and it will work fine.

Thank you very much. That will save me a lot of money. Now I can buy some tube to protect the front end better. My wife says I should just work on not crashing my Jeep......What do wives know anyway?!

Thank you. If you had it to do over again would you buy this same setup or go with something like the all metal CSF 3 core?
I used to run a CSF 3 core and it cooled OK but not quite as well as all aluminum. That being said, they are much cheaper and they do cool well. If the rest of your system is working well you should like the CSF just fine. Stick with a properly functioning stock fan setup and you should have no issues. I got away from the stock fan setup because of the noise.

How many rows does the rad have?
What temp did you set the fans to come on at?
How did you verify that temp?
Do you have a phone number for FFDynamics?
Noise aside would you use their "fan kit" again or run a functioning clutch fan?

Their rad is $250 sans the fan kit, but will not ship for >1mo.

I've emailed Oscars radiators, Ron Davis radiators, Active radiator for quotes. Any one have dealings with these or other "performance" radiator manufacturers... prices, reputation, etc?

I have a Ron Davis in my dune buggie and it works great. Its well designed and expensive, $700.
Griffin makes the best of the best, but one for our Jeeps will run about $1000.

I am curious as to what everyone calls 'hot'...
Mine runs near 220* most all the time. Well, that is what the gauge says, I'm thinking it reads 10* hotter than it really is. All the oil and engine guys I have
talked to say that is fine. Run quality oil and change it every 3K.

How many rows does the rad have?
What temp did you set the fans to come on at?
How did you verify that temp?
Do you have a phone number for FFDynamics?
Noise aside would you use their "fan kit" again or run a functioning clutch fan?

Their rad is $250 sans the fan kit, but will not ship for >1mo.

I've emailed Oscars radiators, Ron Davis radiators, Active radiator for quotes. Any one have dealings with these or other "performance" radiator manufacturers... prices, reputation, etc?
My rad is 2 core, I set the fans to come on at around 190, I did not verify the temp, I don't have their phone number but the website should have it, Noise aside I would use the stock fan with no clutch.

Back