• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New news for Shell Rotella

Jonathan said:
Just to clarify a bit, ZDDP won't really clog the catalytic converter: what it will do is poison (via surface coating) the platinum, causing it to no longer function correctly. Airflow shouldn't be affected, unless somehow you get enough hydrocarbon deposits (from inactive platinum) to cause physical obstruction.

It also shouldn't cause any substantial extra emissions, except again as a secondary effect from a poisoned cat.

Hm - did I say "clogged outright" or "clogged matrix?" If it was the latter, I'd meant that the surface would be clogged beyond utility - which shouldn't impair airflow, but will impair conversion efficiency.

At least, that would be what I meant (even if it wasn't what I'd actually said...:D )

This is very interesting to me. I just started using Delo 400LE 15w40 in my 90 comanche. If I'm reading this right I believe its got the proper amount of additive. here is the rating from the website....
SAE Grade 15W-40​
Product Number 222220
MSDS Number 17108​
API Gravity 29.1
Viscosity, Kinematic
cSt at 40​
°C
cSt at 100
°C
Viscosity, Cold Crank, C/Poise -20/64
Viscosity Index 131
Flash Point,
°C(°F) 204(399)
Pour Point,
°C(°F) -30(-22)
Sulfated Ash, wt % 1.0
Base Number, ASTM D 2896 9.6
Phosphorus, wt % 0.12
Sulfur, wt % 0.32

Zinc, wt % 0.13

The conversion is:

weight % = .13 (usually found on the PDS)
permille or 0/00 = 1.3 (usually found on the MSDS)
ppm or parts-per-million = 1300

Here's what I've found for the Castrol fans:

15w 40 GTX Diesel = .13 %
20w 50 High Millage = .17 %
20w 50 GTX = none
20w 50 syntec blend = .14 %
20w 50 full syntec = none
15w 40 truck blend = .065 - 1.28 %
Could not find it in ANY 5w 30 or 10w 40 weights
Also it is in none of the full synthetics.

I do tend to wonder if the oils that do not have zddp now use some different advanced ingredient that produces the SAME protection, and the whole zddp deficiency "scandal" is just another scare tactic to get us to buy yet another additive...
As long as you buy the oils that still contain it, you won't have to worry, but I think it would be impossible to blame a worn out motor on zddp when the motor in question probably has over 200k on the clock.

I found all of my castrol info on their website either in the PDS or the MSDS

lonecountryboy said:
Well I just got off the phone with the oil guru at a local place here and it looks like the shell rotella is also going to be zddp free very shortly or be drastically reduced if it hasn't already. So it looks like the only option now is the lucas additive or the comp cams additive. Nice of all these a-holes to tell us what they are up to. Oh well just thought I would put the word out.:gonnablow

Just thought you all would like to know, straight from the rotella desk again:

Not sure where the information you have is coming from but it's Not going zddp free anytime soon... bad rumour I suppose.
So keep your chin up and know that you don't need to change products.
The full synthetic 5W-40 has high levels of the zddp additve and still the same level or performance and will continue to do so.

The Rotella T is our flagship oil and is the best on the market as far as protection from wear goes.
Please rest assured that things are good. It's good you checked it out!

Happy motoring.
Have a great summer.
Regards,
Therese

Shell Canada Products
Lubricants & Fuels Technical Help Desk

I have been doing some searching for a good price on Brad Penn Racing oil. The 10w-30 has 1,500 ppm zinc. I finally found a place in NC that sold me a case of it for 39.49 plus 10.74 to UPS it to my door here in Massachusetts. That works out 4.18 per quart and I don't even have to drive to the store. I have read nothing but good about this oil................yet. For those who might be interested, here is the web site of the company. You have to do the ordering by phone. Very nice people to deal with.

http://kennedyoilco.com/

I'm @ 2K into the first round of using the Brad Penn 10w30 on the new 4.6. I used their sae30 break-in oil for the cam break-in and then for the first 600 miles(drove a day past 500). So far it's been good and @$50 a case, it's reasonably priced(m1 hi-mi is my other fav), addresses flat-tappet needs for protection(no add'l additives needed), and helps out the PA economy.

STP oil treatment(little blue bottle) has loads of zinc in it. It is also readily available at most parts stores.

Bob the oil guy is full of crap. He is on the take from somebody, just look at his methods and the way he presents his "experiments"

I agree that bob does not seem very objective... All additives are not junk, and that has been proven OUTSIDE of Bobs silly little gear box. Don't get me wrong, some are junk, but Lucas is not, and that stupid gear box in no way represents the workings inside a combustion engine.

It is is silly little gear box that makes me say he is junk. You never see a video, only stills, and there is no evidance ever that tells you what went into those boxes other than what he says, he could be spinning that contraption at warp speed for all you know.

I have lived in two different cities with avid drag racing and circle track racing, and new a bunh of the teams personally, without exception every one of them uses Lucas...

xj88superjeep said:
I agree that bob does not seem very objective... All additives are not junk, and that has been proven OUTSIDE of Bobs silly little gear box. Don't get me wrong, some are junk, but Lucas is not, and that stupid gear box in no way represents the workings inside a combustion engine.

One of the main problems with Bob's gear box demo is that it is not heated to normal operating temperatures. It also uses plastic instead of metal parts, but the real issue is the lack of heat in the test.

Anyone know what the numbers (PPM ZDDP) are for a bottle of crane cams additive with 6 quarts oil?

WOW, never knew about this. I currently use Mobil 1 10W30 on my '97 w/ 118k, but looks like I'll switch to the high mileage formula b/c zinc is 1000ppm instead 800. Not quite the 11xx recommended, but closer. I'll do this until I can come up w/ a better local source. I love this forum - a wealth of knowledge!!!

gone postal said:
WOW, never knew about this. I currently use Mobil 1 10W30 on my '97 w/ 118k, but looks like I'll switch to the high mileage formula b/c zinc is 1000ppm instead 800. Not quite the 11xx recommended, but closer. I'll do this until I can come up w/ a better local source. I love this forum - a wealth of knowledge!!!

Rotella full syn 5w40 has 1400 ppm at less cost

Back