• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jersey Lift Laws new website

I still have no idea how I'm going to approach going thru this again with a cut-up, half tube-frame rig a year from now, but I'm pretty sure their heads are going to explode...having gone thru there already, I know what they look for, and will be ready....hheee heee.

resurrecting old thread - just a heads up if anyone has inspection coming up soon. I just went through w/o any problems. No hassle, no crap, no questions. They checked my license, registration, insurance, the OBD II and gas cap pressure. New inspection sticker til 2014

The tech gave me the disclaimer that they would test for emissions but they are not responsible for any lift law violations. He did confirm that anything under 29" (measured from ground to bottom edge of door) is not subject to lift laws.

I went to inspection station in Manahawkin / Stafford NJ just off Route 72. I have a '98 SE edition with 4.5" Rough Country full pack lift kit on 33s

I haven't kept up with current lift laws, but it sounds like the standard station you went through stated they were not responsible for tickets/issues you may receive for lift violations.

My understanding is they have not changed any high rise laws requiring a full inspection if total lift exceeds 4". As of last year, I still had to go through high rise with a TJ that exceeded the 4" limit.

Based on what you wrote, I believe your inspection sticker is only valid as it relates to emissions. You can still be ticketed at any time for lift violations.

Far more important then possbile tickets, you're driving an illegal vehicle as defined by NJ DOT. So if you are involved in an accident, whether your fault or not, you may be found liable. Your insurance company can void any coverage you have and you will have to pay out-of-pocket. Only you can decide if that risk is acceptable :).

The way I see it, why pay for insurance that can be voided, leaving me with full exposure to any lawsuits even if I wasn't at fault.

If you don't have a vehicle highly modified, why risk it? You pass high rise, get your double stickers and paperwork. When people ask about your double sticker you have cool story to tell about having a special vehicle :).

Kent

Kent, I don't disagree on any of your points. Yes, the tech put in that disclaimer that they would inspect emissions but assumed no responsibility for lift law issues. However, my XJ sits lower than 29" from ground to bottom of door. I did mention this to the tech and he reaffirmed that anything less than 29" is not required to go through tilt testing.

Agreed, total lift up to 4" doesn't require high rise :).

Just a bit confused as you mentioned 'I have a '98 SE edition with 4.5" Rough Country full pack lift kit on 33s'. This vehicle would wind up at about 5.5" to 6.0" total lift. So I gathered you were speaking of this vehicle.

Kent

Whoever told you that 29" thing is full of shit, because with an XJ you're allowed 30" max to the bottom of the door, which is 7" of lift combined tire/suspension.

In my experience those "techs" are anything but...maybe there's some vehicle out there that's legal at 29", but XJ's are considered 'stock' at 23", 'elevated' at 27", and maxed at 30".

If something's changed since the last time I went through that whole mess, post it up...otherwise I'll probably delete/edit that...

vette - Thanks for mentioning this. I was thinking OE was 24", but didn't want to mention this as it's been a long time since I worked with XJ's.

I recall when I was researching this getting two different OE heights dependent on trim package. Does that ring a bell at all?

It sounds like some changes have occurred at least at the normal stations. As I recall the normal stations refused to inspect any vehicle they believed over 4". It sounds like they now inspect emissions and provide a written warning.

Kent

UpCountry package (available from the factory) is roughly 1-1.5" taller than regular stock. That's probably what you are thinking of.

Don't recall where I read this, but I thought stock was 24" except the sport edition which was supposed to be 1" lower.

My lift was advertised as 4.5" - I undoubtedly have some degree of settlement/leaf sag whatever you choose to call it. I also have aftermarket front and rear bumper with 33" spare mounted and maybe 60lbs of gear/tools and such. How much this stuff settles the lift?? I honestly have no idea.

Just went out and measured, I am roughly 25.5" ground to bottom of door on driver side and 26" ground to bottom of door passenger side. Even by my own numbers it doesn't seem to make sense (24" stock + 4.5"lift puts me at 28.5" w/o figuring in tires). So at absolute minimum, I would have 2.5 to 3" of spring sag?? I don't know why, but that's where I sit. Guess that makes it legal though

Don't recall where I read this, but I thought stock was 24" except the sport edition which was supposed to be 1" lower.

My lift was advertised as 4.5" - I undoubtedly have some degree of settlement/leaf sag whatever you choose to call it. I also have aftermarket front and rear bumper with 33" spare mounted and maybe 60lbs of gear/tools and such. How much this stuff settles the lift?? I honestly have no idea.

Just went out and measured, I am roughly 25.5" ground to bottom of door on driver side and 26" ground to bottom of door passenger side. Even by my own numbers it doesn't seem to make sense (24" stock + 4.5"lift puts me at 28.5" w/o figuring in tires). So at absolute minimum, I would have 2.5 to 3" of spring sag?? I don't know why, but that's where I sit. Guess that makes it legal though

You read that from me....the tech at Winslow showed me the book they use that quoted 29" for "sport" editions, which are indeed 1" lower from the factory..However, this doesnt translate onto the VIN, so if you do have a sport, remove the stickers/badges..and 30" is your max...no one's the wiser..I got my 98 thru the tilt on 35's but only barely..had to remove the heavy bumpers/tire carrier, and the hilift jack off the roof, plus cleaned the interior out of spare tools and even the back seat.
Rich

You read that from me....the tech at Winslow showed me the book they use that quoted 29" for "sport" editions, which are indeed 1" lower from the factory..However, this doesnt translate onto the VIN, so if you do have a sport, remove the stickers/badges..and 30" is your max...no one's the wiser..I got my 98 thru the tilt on 35's but only barely..had to remove the heavy bumpers/tire carrier, and the hilift jack off the roof, plus cleaned the interior out of spare tools and even the back seat.
Rich
should have just ratchet strapped a few cement blocks to each side of each axle tube before going through! :wierd:

All I know is me and all my buddies passed with flying colors, other then me with needing a new gas cap.

All our setups are 4.5-6.5 inches of lift on 33s and 35s, chopped up fenders and no flares. I have no sway bars, my air bag light is on and my horn doesn't work. I went the the station in Paramus and had no issues other then needing a new gas cap. Much nicer then having to find a private shop to have it inspected like I used to, the state has some private company doing it and they don't inspect that stuff anymore from what I'm told.

All I know is me and all my buddies passed with flying colors, other then me with needing a new gas cap.

All our setups are 4.5-6.5 inches of lift on 33s and 35s, chopped up fenders and no flares. I have no sway bars, my air bag light is on and my horn doesn't work. I went the the station in Paramus and had no issues other then needing a new gas cap. Much nicer then having to find a private shop to have it inspected like I used to, the state has some private company doing it and they don't inspect that stuff anymore from what I'm told.

We'll call high rise to verify. We aren’t aware of recent changes: Vehicles with an elevated chassis over 4" total lift, are still illegal without valid high rise documentation. You passed emissions, not high rise. You’re at risk for, but not limited to the following:

Tickets
Found 'at fault' if involved in accidents
Your insurance company can deny any covered claims.

With the above said, Bergen county doesn't appear to enforce high rise issues much, as the county doesn't have a high percentage of lifted vehicles.

We’ve heard high rise related warnings have increased in Ramsey, Allendale, Franklin Lakes, Oakland, East Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights and Oradell. Generally when warning increase, enforement isn't far behind. This could be an untapped revenue source small townships are now finding.

Most recent Bergen country summons verified, was a ‘tire coverage' summons in Allendale. I believe the fine was $450.

I've yet to see an actual 'ticketable' title 39 statute for tire coverage...usually it just gets balled up in the 'unsafe vehicle' thing which wasn't nearly $450 last time I got it. :laugh:

Is that something new, or maybe a local ordinance?

For those interested, DMV indicates high rise inspection is still needed.

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Inspections/FAQ.htm

Question: What is the inspection process for my lifted or high-rise personal vehicle?

Answer:
Lifted vehicles must pass a high-rise "stability" test to verify structural integrity every two years. Stability tests are performed at Specialty Inspection Facilities in Morristown, Asbury Park or Winslow. Contact one of these sites directly for an appointment. Lifted vehicles are also required to receive an emissions test. The emissions test may be performed at any inspection site.

Hope this helps,
Kent

...and to stick close to Bob Royal, I got one for my 98 back in the day and it was hell on earth to obtain the "right way"... not to say you should look for ways around it, but it was a total pain in the ass and for what it's worth, go to the englishtown swap meet in the fall and look at the junk there that somehow have valid inspection. I have seen horror,...the....horror..

...and to stick close to Bob Royal, I got one for my 98 back in the day and it was hell on earth to obtain the "right way"... not to say you should look for ways around it, but it was a total pain in the ass and for what it's worth, go to the englishtown swap meet in the fall and look at the junk there that somehow have valid inspection. I have seen horror,...the....horror..

Unfortunately I know some of those guys and they are all about the quick and dirty fab and everyone of those rigs is street driven :shiver: .

Back