• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED to know

planoxj

NAXJA Forum User
RE 5.5" is on the way...need to figure out SYE/DS problem. i want to do PORC SYE and stock xj front DS, but have a D35 rear...I have posted about this before but can't afford the risk of not working...what are my chances of a front DS being long enough with a D35 rear? should i even try it, anybody done it? i just need to know if it will work before trying IF anyway possible!
thanks a alot, James

I would like to know the same thing. I plan on doing the same as you and also have the D35. I know that others have done it with the D35 and made it work, but I am not certain of their lift height and the RE 5.5 is usually over 6" of lift right out of the box and that might be pushing the length of the front drive line a little too far.

Worst case you can get a front drive line for about $10 at any junkyard and if it doesn't fit you can always drive in 4x4 untill you get a new rear driveline made up.

Hopefully someone with a D35 and front drive shaft in the rear will chime in, if not please let us know how it works out.

Michael

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell you a definate answer, since it works for some, but not all XJ's. It won't work on mine, but for a friend of mine it did.

ok thanks for the response guys...i am just gunna have to think about this

langer1 said:
You could also think about measuring it.

It would do him a whole lot of good to measure something that isn't even installed yet.

You could estimate it though.

In the end though...since you bought the RE 5.5 I'm assuming you're going to be running 33s or larger. Do you really want to keep the D35?

hey man...well no, i wouldn't want to keep the D35...but money is an issue right now...i am going to run 33's. i wish i had the money to swap another axle in but don't right now, possibly a christmas idea. was just thinking cheaper until then...from what you've told me it can go either way with the D35/front DS thing...and i really can't afford (time wise) for it not to fit. what i mean't by "thinking" about it was thinking about spending money i don't really have for a new DS...thank you your right i can't measure something thats not there yet...im not a moron langer1. thanks again Dirk James

planoxj said:
hey man...well no, i wouldn't want to keep the D35...but money is an issue right now...i am going to run 33's. i wish i had the money to swap another axle in but don't right now, possibly a christmas idea. was just thinking cheaper until then...from what you've told me it can go either way with the D35/front DS thing...and i really can't afford (time wise) for it not to fit. what i mean't by "thinking" about it was thinking about spending money i don't really have for a new DS...thank you your right i can't measure something thats not there yet...im not a moron langer1. thanks again Dirk James
I measured mine, I measured the length of the stock tail shaft, the new SYE housing subtracted the difference added that to the existing drive shaft and found what I needed at the local Pick n Pull.

ok thats a good idea maybe ill do that...BUT i don't have the SYE yet and the reason for this thread was to possibly rule out this idea if it wouldn't work...therefore knowing if i need to order a new DS or not when i order the SYE...possibly saving me money.

planoxj said:
ok thats a good idea maybe ill do that...BUT i don't have the SYE yet and the reason for this thread was to possibly rule out this idea if it wouldn't work...therefore knowing if i need to order a new DS or not when i order the SYE...possibly saving me money.
Dude if you live in Plano, try searching for a front shaft over on www.lonestarjeepclub.com

I got a used one there for $50, and it worked out fine.

yea i posted over there for places around dallas for custom shafts...but as far as getting a used stock xj front shaft i figured just try a salvage yard...but ill try them...thanks

Back