• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some input on lockers

what locker to use

• ARB Locker

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • ZIP locker(yukon)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • ected (Auburn)

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Thank you. You answered a very important ?.. it was the max psi im going to be getting a viair super duty oba system

Have a read. ;)

http://arbusa.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/air-locker-pressures/

And for my input: ARB Going on 9 years with the ones in my Jeep, I'm the second owner. They've never been pulled out or needed repair, and have lived with 37" tires and 5.13 gears on a 4:1 transfer case in some of the roughest terrain in the country. Still on the original install. Spools and lunchbox lockers are for people who haven't had the pleasure of running selectables. Snow runs are so much more enjoyable being able to run open/open, as are the mountain passes. Sidehills with open diffs help prevent crab-walking to the low side, too. I've sold countless ARBs over the years and have only seen minor legitimate failures, while the rest of them are installation related.

I took the time to read the post. I was asking if you went manual or if you had the auto hubs on. Disco means you can disconnect your front axle from a drive source. I still would go spartan. If you are running a selectable out back then it makes up for a lot of the possible winter driving issues. Spartan allows you the comfort of a locker without having to worry about air or electrical issues at the axle. Sometimes air lines or electrical lines can become severed and then your stuck out on a back trail hoping you can get pulled back to some place to work. Trust me. Being knee deep in snow is not a great place to have to diagnose a selector issue.

So when you break the carrier you are still screwed. Get a full case arb or detroit and be done.

hubs in the front... why not do a full spool? save the money and its stronger.

Why not a spool in the front?........ thanks I needed a laugh. Think he wants to atleast be able to turn with his hubs engaged.

I know lots of guys personally that run spools in their front ends... No problems there. I can see the side hill argument and why selectables are great. What I have seen alot of guys do is just leave one hub unlocked.... The thing is most of the stuff I run in the snow wouldnt be possible with one of your hubs open or your locker disengaged. I can say though I have never had my front end hinder me on sidehills from being locked. The back end does tend to slide out. Whenever the front or rear locker debate comes up thats why I say front locker first. Turn the tires up hill and hit the gas and your locked front WILL pull you up hill. Same cant be said about the back...

I run an aussie in front and love it. I set it up real tight and it will hardly ever ratchet while in 4 wheel drive. Doesnt stop me from turning a tight radius one bit... Been running it for 5 years in 4 different jeeps, all daily driven and wheeled at least 1-2 times a month. Im running 35" tires. No problems yet.

I run an ARB in my rear 8.25. The only problem I ever had was after a long night of doin one legged burnouts thru intersections. The center pin welded itself to the spider gears and sheared off the little bolt, and I forget exactly what happened, but a c-clip fell out and my axle shaft/wheel assembly started walking out around a corner. Good times.....haha. but in a front end, you obviously wont have to worry about that! I don't blame ARB for that failure though, I was being stupid with it. I can't wait to buy one for the front end to match.

Eaton E-locker..

I'd go ARB. More money up-front, but selectable in at least the front diff is essential IMO. Rocks, snow, even tight switchbacks in the muddy woods, it's night and day being able to unlock for maneuverability and then lock back in for traction. I had OX's in the old XJ, very tough to get them adjusted right but otherwise I liked them just fine. ARB has no adjustment issues, you flip the toggle and you're good to go.

I have ARBs fromt and rear on my YJ I love them I have installed many and have installed many other lockers as well I would recommend ARB over any locker on the market I have seen many zip lockers fail I have seen many E kockers fail I have broke my ARB once it was driver error I was engaging the locker before air pressure was up and striped the slider ARB replaced it and told me why I broke it I have had no problems since! I love my ARBs by far the best mod I have done on my rig. Good Luck!!

Without reading anything...Eaton E-locker.

That is all. :)

I was thinking what is the difference between lock-right and spartain they look real similar and I have a lock-right in me rear axle and like the Idea of running the same I have a disco so Im not worried about the con's of locking the front just wondering if anyone know's what the difference is

I was thinking what is the difference between lock-right and spartain they look real similar and I have a lock-right in me rear axle and like the Idea of running the same I have a disco so Im not worried about the con's of locking the front just wondering if anyone know's what the difference is

The Spartan, Aussie, and Lockright are all basically the same type of unit. They function the same and are similar in appearance and installation. I am a fan of the Spartan as they are from a local company. Even if the part itself is not forged in the US, the heat treating, packaging, etc. is all done right here in WA State.

So I got the arb rd116 for the super good price of 600$ brand new. Unfortunately the d bag I bought it from couldn't provide me with all the parts or the install manual. But I called arb and they are awesome fivendime you were so right they sent me everthing I needed for free. Number one great service I will be doing bussiness with arb in the future......

Back