• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some gun advice

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Alright i believe i am gonna buy a hand gun in the next couple months.I think i have it narrowed down to a Glock model 32, The Smith&wesson SW40VE-allied forces, and the Springfeild XD40. I already know the springfields are great i have shot the .45 and it was well balanced and didn't kick like a mule. I want to hear some opinions on the other two! :D

Nobody has one of these? :dunno:

I would recommend searching before someone flames you. There have been a lot of recent threads on guns here, even some of the ones you mentioned.

I'm kind of with ECKJAY on the whole '1911' thing. But I would like to add that if you go with a 1911, that you need to really practice with it. It is a wonderful weapon, but the fact that to use it properly, you must carry it cocked and locked makes alot of people very nervous. But is that really any different than a double action firearm that has a round in the chamber with the safety on?

Personally, I don't think it is any less 'safe' than any other pistol. Quite the opposite, I think that in knowing you are carrying a cocked and locked pistol makes you even more aware of what the dangers of your firearm are and what your responsibilities as a shooter are. But then again, I know that I always check my firearms for a round in the chamber, even if I 'know' I was the last person handling them.

I guess you know that a Glock 32 is a .357SIG and not a .40, right? A Glock 23 is a .40, and is a GREAT sidearm. I carry one every day, and it's on me unless I'm in the shower or at work. I also have extra barrels and magazines for it. I can shoot .40, .357SIG, and 9mm by just changing barrels and mags. It makes practice alot cheaper and more fun.
I used to have an XD40. It's a nice gun, but I definitely shoot the Glock better.

I have shot the Glock32 and the S&W Sigma. I shot the Sigma the other day at the range (not my first time with the gun) this one was a .40 and I hate that friggin gun. I am not a fan of Glocks but dammit they are reliable and the price tag shows. The .357 Sig is a GREAT round and if I got a new pistol it would be a .357 sig or a 10mm. If I could choose any of the three guns you listed I would get the XD first, 32 2nd, and then I would find something else before I bought that damn Sigma.

A 1911 is a great choice of a gun as well, and many many parts are interchangeable between companies since its all pretty standard. We have a .38 super match pistol with all the bells and whistles and its a 1911 frame. I really recommend one. A 45 is nice but holding 10 shots of a 38 super is nice as well ( .45acp holds only 7). You need to shoot a gun of each caliber. If you were close I could let you sample a Glock of every flavor, but you arent so oh well. That senario I think, would be favorable since its the same brand gun, in different calibers.

Like I said 357sig and 10mm kick some major ass.

Yeah i know the model 32 is a .357sig. I was wanting either a .357 or a .40. It just depends on which ammo is cheaper really. I know the S&W has a fairly good priced gun. I would like to buy a new gun but i am buying a lifetime license too so my budget will be fairly tight so i may have to buy a used gun. I really want an XD but finding one in my price range will be difficult

I would recommend searching before someone flames you. There have been a lot of recent threads on guns here, even some of the ones you mentioned.

Hey its not a pic request! :D I usually check the gun posts and haven't seen one recently involving these pistols

If you are ever planning on re-loading, stick with the straight wall cases. (9mm, 38super, 40sw, 10mm, 45ACP)

not sure if i will ever start reloading them myself. I will definately be researching them heavily in the next couple months. So i may end up with a 9mm or a .45 , ya never know! :D

regardless of frame; .40, 10mm, or 45. The 9mm is OK, but the .40 and .45 hit harder, and don't kick much worse. I understand the full house 10mm is a handful, but nothing any adult can't handle.

Yeah i know the model 32 is a .357sig. I was wanting either a .357 or a .40. It just depends on which ammo is cheaper really. I know the S&W has a fairly good priced gun. I would like to buy a new gun but i am buying a lifetime license too so my budget will be fairly tight so i may have to buy a used gun. I really want an XD but finding one in my price range will be difficult

If you're worried about ammo cost, get a .22.

I'm not really wanting a 1911 due to the size of them. I want something polymer too. Not saying the 1911 is a bad gun at all just not for me BTW slider i am almost positive the H&K is way out of my range!

If you're worried about ammo cost, get a .22.

already have one! Marlin model 60 thats the fun gun! I will mostly shoot that. I am not too worried about ammo cost. Its not like its a .500 mag! :D

I'm not really wanting a 1911 due to the size of them. I want something polymer too. Not saying the 1911 is a bad gun at all just not for me BTW slider i am almost positive the H&K is way out of my range!

So, get a Commander style 1911 with a 4 1/4 inch barrel. Really, it's going to be slimmer than and the same overall profile as any of the other pistols you mentioned liking.

So, get a Commander style 1911 with a 4 1/4 inch barrel. Really, it's going to be slimmer than and the same overall profile as any of the other pistols you mentioned liking.

Even a fullsize just adds length. Doesn't do anything to hinder concealment, really... A good IWB holster doesn't care about length. :D

thats a good point. you can get 1911's with the shorter barrels and it'll be slimer than any polymer gun out there.

i myself have a colt .45 1911 and an XD9 sub-compact.

i love the 1911, its the most comfortable hand gun ive come across, it fits my hand really well, and the knock down power of the .45 is huge in comparison to the 9. downside is that its a full size (do you plan to get a CCW permit?) and ammo is much more expensive (if your just blasting at the range then it'll get expensive)

i really enjoy my xd sub compact too because with the extended mag i can hold 16 rounds and with the standard i can hold ten (1911 only holds 7) it also has a 3inch barrell and can be placed just about anywhere on my body and be concealable. and you can pick up a box of 250 rounds for about 55 bucks, so its much more afordable.

also with the XD you get the 2 mags, holster, mag holster, speed loader and case.

my next handgun purchase with be another 1911, but i love the xd too.

HTH

Back