• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some computer guru help

do a "who is" search. there are plenty of sites that give you basic info. you can get down to the nitty gritty but you either need to pay or know someone who can do it.

If you’re trying to track someone down who doesn't want to be found it may be close to impossible. Usually a hacker will break into as many computers as they can than later use those computers to get the work done.

What is the purpose for wanting to know?

agreed with 1985xjlaredo. What's the IP (pm if you want) and why do you want to know? It is usually easier to figure out who someone is using usernames/screennames/phone number/email address along with general geographic area (can be determined from IP... sometimes...) than it is to work off just an IP.

You can try a whois, but it may most likely point back to an ISP. To get further info you would need to subpoena the ISP and get what information they have. However they could have been using someone's open wireless router.

If its fraud like that you should be able to give the info to the police cyber crimes division and they can track it down.

If its fraud like that you should be able to give the info to the police cyber crimes division and they can track it down.

I agree, I would do the whois search gather that info and turn it over to you local FBI field office. Plus make sure your domain provider is aware of the issue and do a hard copy of the site once a day for awhile. Could be a good hacker that could mess with your site.

I agree, I would do the whois search gather that info and turn it over to you local FBI field office. Plus make sure your domain provider is aware of the issue and do a hard copy of the site once a day for awhile. Could be a good hacker that could mess with your site.
I really doubt it. There is a huge difference between some idiot who can clone a CC / buy a list of stolen CC numbers, and someone who will actually hack a site.

All a whois will probably get you (unless you are very lucky) is the ISP that serves them. No point in doing the whois and giving it to the FBI, they can and will do that themselves, it's childs play. Really, the shipping address that the guy gave to receive the things he fraudulently ordered is worth more than the IP is. Either way this is almost certainly a job for the FBI rather than something you can deal with yourself.

I really doubt it. There is a huge difference between some idiot who can clone a CC / buy a list of stolen CC numbers, and someone who will actually hack a site.

All a whois will probably get you (unless you are very lucky) is the ISP that serves them. No point in doing the whois and giving it to the FBI, they can and will do that themselves, it's childs play. Really, the shipping address that the guy gave to receive the things he fraudulently ordered is worth more than the IP is. Either way this is almost certainly a job for the FBI rather than something you can deal with yourself.
Very true. The whois search for Naxja brought up the owners name address and tele

Very true. The whois search for Naxja brought up the owners name address and tele
whois for IPs, domain names, and ASNs are completely different. Whoising the NAXJA domain does bring that info up, but whoising the IP does not (it brings up the info for the hosting company the NAXJA servers are colocated with.)

Well, In my opinion, you will probably never be able to figure this out. Crimes like these aren't really a crime of opportunity. It isnt like someone swiped cash off of a table and you can just look at the security cam to see who did it. If they have the skills to hack into to a server and steal CC info, they know what they are doing. I nearly garuntee they have covered their tracks to a point where it is nearly impossible to track them.

extremely unlikely they hacked into anything. You guys must be using the popular meaning of 'hack'... which is wildly inaccurate.

Likely they bought a list of stolen CC details from a malware group that specializes in infecting dumb users computers with trojans, rootkits, and other tools that skim the info as the user types it no matter what site they are on. You wouldn't believe how easily available that kind of info is in the blackhat community, and how many people fall for it. A lot of the recent malware is extremely difficult to get rid of, I usually suggest that people simply recover their documents (you have backups, right? Yep I thought not... BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT FILES DAMMIT) and then reinstall their operating system from scratch rather than try to clean it up.

did you actually ship product Jason, or did you catch the credit card hold before shipping?

definitely contact your local law enforcement with all the info you've got, including the shipping address.
if it crossed state lines in any regard contact the FBI branch office closest to you, and possibly your state attorney general.

Back