• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I finally saved up around $2500. I need a replacement XJ as my 96 has serious rust going on the floor boards, rockers, and roof corners. Not only that it needs a new t-case, gas tank sending unit(leaks around tubings and electrical connector), alternator, and track bar.
I'm thinking of just using my 96 for plowing and wood hauling only. Don't really have the heart to sell it to someone else being the issues it has.

I'm hoping to find a running 97-01 with minimal rust.

Do the 97-01 rust in the same area's as bad as the 84-96 do?
Anything I should watch for other than the late 99-01 0331 head issue or the A/C issues on the newer body style?

I know $2500 is not much money for an XJ, but I know they are out there.

floor pans seem to hold up better on the 97+...rockers still eat away. roof corners also seem to be alittle better. don't know its because of age or not. the worst part of the 97+ is that water can get trapped in the rear quarters and with the big bumper caps over it, you don't notice it. i had no idea mine was rusty till i pull the cap off and i could almost fit my whole hand through the hole! did a cut and fold to take care of that...i have one spot of rust on the rockers and no rust on my roof corners by the gutter rail. my jeep is also always outside (actually sort of helps keep rust off) but i don't really wash it that much in the winter. this year i have made it my goat to was the undercarriage as much as possible. my floors are solid as a rock right now and i want to keep it that way

Back