• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need new tires and advice

Skipper51

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
OK guys and gals, I have come to the oracle once again for advice. :wstupid:
My, good to me, Treawright retread tires have given out. The tread is still good but the sidewall have cracked so bad that one tire gave out with three cracks spewing air out almost as fast I put it in. :doh:

So here I am. :huh:
Here is how we use the jeep. Daily drive it and take it out wheeling, I am sad to say, 4 to 6 times a year. I always plan to do more but it has not happened yet, this year will be different.

So important to me: Driving on curvy mountain paved roads, Highways, snow traction and rock crawling. I need to move up to 33's :lock: so I can do more wheeling (read Rubicon, Forsyth, Reno etc.)

Thank you for staying with me so far. I am open for suggestions, what ya say people?
BFG 33x 10.50R-15, All-Terrain T/A KO OR BFG 33x 12.50 R15, All-Terrain T/A KO
BFG 33x10.50R15LT, Baja T/A
Kenda Klever M/T KR29 Mud Tires 33x12.50R15
LT33X12.50-15 GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC

OR ????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :lecture: on

Iv heard really good things about the new KO2s, but the smallest rim size is 16in :(

I personally was torn between the kevlars and km2s, but then everyone in my area couldn't get the kevlars for 3 months so I went wight the km2s. I DD them and they arnt noisy and stop well. If you dont want something quite as knobby, id say go with the KOs. My buddy has them on his raptor and we have hit 100+ with no issues from them, and the sidewalls feel stiff on mountain roads. We have also done some wheeling on them and they hook up well!

As for size, go 12.5. The few times you do off road you will like the extra bite.

well I guuess the ko2 is out. I was going to suggest that. Ive been mounting alot of foreign all terrains that seem to be pretty decent tires. Hankook Dynapro atm look good.

Last edited:
Bfg AT in the 35" flavor. They run kinda small and they are a really light 35" tire.

Bfg AT in the 35" flavor. They run kinda small and they are a really light 35" tire.

A little scary all the sheet metal I will need to cut with a Overall Diameter: 34.7.

The 33's have a Overall Diameter: 32.7.

I wish they made a 34" tire.

Yeah true

Stick to 33s

Have you considered going to a 17" rim? The metric tire sizes for those seem to be plentiful and not too hard on the wallet. A 275/70R17 is about 33x11-ish
BFG's typically cost too much for what they are.
The best AT tire I have EVER run are the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO.
Small list of other tires I would run..
GY Duratrac (Kelly Safari TSR is similar, and usually less expensive, no kevlar tho)or MTR-k (my 31's have about 30k on them and still about half tread), The Yoko Geolander AT, Firestone Destination AT

I will be running some 265/70R17 Yokohama Geolander AT-S on JK Moab wheels with wheel spacers soon. That's about a 32" size-wise.

33" Goodyear mtrk.

BFG ATs are great for getting to the mall and back, they leave a lot to be desired on the trail.

I love the MTRs myself.

You also just go with whatever is used and cheap- Like knuckleheads 33s on rims.

I like BFG All-terrain T/A's: have them on my Dodge truck and white XJ (daily driver) I've seen them hold up well off-road but they are all-terrains so they leave some to be desired with the extremely tight tread pattern.

BFG KM2's: I know these are not on your list but no way I'd run them after all the sidewall tears we've seen (if that tire can't handle Deer Valley or Slick Rock, how can you really trust it?) Plus they run small.

GY Duratrac: I like the tread design however they only have a 2-ply sidewall so I would NOT recommend them for the trails you want to do.

GY MT/R with Kevlar: My favorite tire. These and the 3 sets of old-school MT/R's I had never let me down in the rocks or anywhere else. I've been running MT/R's for over 10 years.

As for size, I think you should run 33 x 12.50 R15.

I want to thank everyone for helping me make my decision. I will be cutting my front wheel wells tomorrow to get ready for the new BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 33-12.5-15s.
I like the 12.5 width and 15" tires give me more sidewall between my rim and the tires when I air down. This may help me not cut my tire on Sick Rock's Stair Case again.....I hope.
Looks as though Tire Buyers has the best price delivered and I am going to try the Airsoft pellets to balance them. It seems like a good idea.
Thanks guys you came through again :party:

Try tirerack and hit up the various vendors on pirate4x4

I just picked up a set of Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with kevlar tires for my truck. Look pretty good, we'll see how they work out. Looks like the only 15" tire they make is is a 31, too bad.

I always buy my tires through America's Tire, or their online only division www.discounttiredirect.com. They will sell a road hazzard replacement certificate on just about any tire. I got 3 of my 35" MT/R's swapped out for around $40 per tire over the past year or 2. To me the occasional slightly higher price is worth it for the road hazzard warranty. No tax and free shipping for the dtd site too.

I want to thank everyone for helping me make my decision. I will be cutting my front wheel wells tomorrow to get ready for the new BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 33-12.5-15s.
I like the 12.5 width and 15" tires give me more sidewall between my rim and the tires when I air down. This may help me not cut my tire on Sick Rock's Stair Case again.....I hope.
Looks as though Tire Buyers has the best price delivered and I am going to try the Airsoft pellets to balance them. It seems like a good idea.
Thanks guys you came through again :party:

You will still cut them. BFG sidewalls are garbage.

I ran that exact tire for 4ish years. Got tired of having to plug them.

Whoops, I'm too late. Tim I was going to recommend Nevada City Auto Service or Grass Valley Tire to set you up with a set of four Cooper AT3's. Best bang for the buck and highly trustworthy local shops.
Anyway - I still recommend them both very highly.

Back