• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help! $

Sluder

NAXJA Forum User
I just posted a thread to the Modified Tech forum About the Rugged Ridge mega short SYE that came with my IRO lift. I've never done this before and barely have any experience with the transfer case. Hoping someone can answer the questions I posted.

Mainly about the Tune Ring and why I don't have a plastic speedo gearon my shaft but see so many online? Does the SYE require me to buy one?

You got the wrong kit.

The tone ring is for a different style (magnetic speedo sensor). You have a mechanical/electrical speedo sensor. You need the blue gear instead of the tone ring.

Call IRO back and tell them what's going on.

You got the wrong kit.

The tone ring is for a different style (magnetic speedo sensor). You have a mechanical/electrical speedo sensor. You need the blue gear instead of the tone ring.

Call IRO back and tell them what's going on.

it still reads the hall effect sensor... it works just fine i have one in sam's xj

Right, I see that now. I missed the mega short part. I have to old standard RR SYE kit that reuses the stock stuff. I didn't realize it came with the new sensor.

the rugged ridge ones have issues with the sensors catching interference at high rpms. the jb conversions super short comes with a proper honeywell sensor that's better isolated. super short in an xj is a little overkill, the working ds length is 36 freaking inches.

I've had a YJ for over 15 years but always wanted a XJ. I had my ideas of what I wanted but never had one to really see what was practical. I got so excited when I finally got my 2001 that I started buying a bunch of stuff I thought would be good. Not the smartest thing but I got a little ahead of myself maybe.

I bought the IRO 6.5 inch critical path long arm lift and the SYE was suggested. I read up some and wasn't really sure so I went with Mega Short to avoid an issue. I'm glad I found the Naxja site to keep me on track some now.

I'm not far from the beach but no rocks nearby or at least close. Most likely, I'll have mine at the beach more than anywhere else. I am looking forward to meeting more XJ folks and hopefully get together Though.

I appreciate all the info and advise. Don't be surprised if I post more pictures of things I've done that probably weren't needed.

Welcome aboard. Where in NC are you?

Well, got another question. I noticed when I put the case back together, the splines on the shaft don't quite reach the teeth in the center hole of the oil pump plate. Is this normal? Seems like they need to be joined to work? Does this happen only in 4wd or do I need to fix something to get them to mate together fulltime.

This photo isn't mine but one I found online. I drew a yellow arrow to the area I'm talking about. The shaft comes through the hole of course but the splines don't reach the teeth?

Yes the splines must engage for the pump to work. Make sure your case halves are firmly mated together before moving forward. After you get your issues resolved, a word of caution is in order; double and triple check that your oil pump pickup tube is firmly seated in the orifice before installing the tail housing. If it's not, you'll burn the transfer case up in short fashion and won't know it's coming until the damage is already done.

FWIW, I used the JB Conversions kit in my Wranger and it converted the speedo drive to the magnetic sensor (sorry, I don't know the proper name for it). I read the directions and if I am remembering correctly, it stated that it was calibrated to the shortest available tire from the factory (215/75r15 IIRC) with the lowest gear ratio available from the factory (4:10). This would make the speedo read way fast, so when larger tires are installed it will drop the reading back a bit closer to being correct. I run 32x11.50-15's w/4:56 gears (REALLY fun from red light to red light with the 4.0 & 5 speed :roflmao: ) and it's only about 10-15% off. Certainly not enough for me to worry about since I don't drive it all that often, but if it concerns you, as was mentioned earlier, my kit suggested the Dakota Digital speedo calibrator to dial it in.

Last edited:
Well, not sure what's up. Case is firmly closed. I can grab the shaft and move it in an out of the oil pump hole with teeth but when I let go it falls back into the case and no longer mates with teeth. I have case on end with oil pump on top and mounting mounts supporting case on table.

I can grab the end of the shaft and raise it up through the hole but it won't Stay. Could the new housing and yoke be what holds it in place? Otherwise there must be something not right that's allowing the shaft to go too far into the case and not mate with teeth on oil pump?

NP231
Rugged Ridge
Mega Short SYE

Well, not sure what's up. Case is firmly closed. I can grab the shaft and move it in an out of the oil pump hole with teeth but when I let go it falls back into the case and no longer mates with teeth. I have case on end with oil pump on top and mounting mounts supporting case on table.

I can grab the end of the shaft and raise it up through the hole but it won't Stay. Could the new housing and yoke be what holds it in place? Otherwise there must be something not right that's allowing the shaft to go too far into the case and not mate with teeth on oil pump?

NP231
Rugged Ridge
Mega Short SYE

Pictures. Did you ever say where you are in NC?

Back