• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Please!!

95XJMichigan

NAXJA Forum User
My 95 cherokee wont start. It has the 4.0. I blew a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood by the battery. The fuse was for the fuse box under the steering wheel. I replaced the fuse with a new 40 amp. Everything works again, but when I go to start nothing happens. I have plenty of batt voltage, but when i turn the key I get nothing. Did I blow my starter selonoid? Any help would be great! Thanks!!

When I turn the key it dosen't make a noise at all, nothing what so ever. I checked all the battery cables and they are all good. Never had a problem with the starting or charging system.... until i blew that fuse.

Have someone hold the key in the cranking position, and check for power at the starter. If their is none, trace the wire.

Did you check the starter relay? If it doesn't click, then it may be bad.

Maybe other fuses? Check all of them. Ignition and IGN system fuses? Engine control fuse?

I checked all the fuses and relays everything is good. The batt cables are fine too. Just have to wait til after work so i can get a hand with the testing, need another set of hands. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks

Auto or manual? If it's auto and you are getting nothing from the starter you may want to check the NSS (Nuetral Safety Switch). Wiggle the shifter while holding the key in the start position. Or move the shifter to Nuetral and try there.

Good luck and let us know what works.

Its an automatic. I Put in a new starter solenoid today. Still no start. I have never had a starting problem until i blew that fuse. I double checked every single fuse under the hood, and under the steering wheel. I can hear the starter relay click but thats about it. Plenty of batt voltage. Wiggled the shifter to check the NSS and thats fine, never been a problem anyways. No wires are burnt or even corroded... im out of ideas besides taking it somewhere..... which I dont want to do unless I have to. Is there another relay or something that im overlooking?? Im going crazy!

Pull the starter and take it to AA, let them check it out...they have a test fixture for that..it's free..

When you turn the key, does the inside light get dim? What kind of voltage do you have on the battery? Ive never had a problem with my jeeps ignition, but TONS of problems with my old f150. Is there a way to jump across the starting solenoid, like on a ford with a screwdriver? Also, I would suspect dirty cables, have you removed them and physically cleaned both of them(Inside), and the battery posts?

I have an optima red top. Checked the voltage and i have plenty there. Took both the positive and negative cables off, cleaned the posts and the holes out. As far as jumping the solenoid, i havent tried that, i didnt know if that would work or not. Not sure if there is another relay or type on fuse somewhere that im missing. The one near the battery tray is fine, dont know if there is something underneath the dash.

Well, if you can jump across the solenoid, that will tell you whether or not your ignition switch is bad. Again, I have onoly messed with fords, so jeeps may be 100% different, but I owuld think the principles are the same.

Still cant figure out whats wrong. Checked all fuses and connections again today. Looked at the wire harness to see if i had a bare or melted wire. I did not find anything wrong anywhere. I can hear the starter relay click, is there a chance that it could still be bad? Is there an ignition relay, or anything else under the dash? ??

Got the jeep running. Even though my starter relay was clicking, it was still bad. I replaced it and the jeep started right up. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!!

You still have to find out what made it blow in the first place, takes alot to pop a 40 amp fuse...

Back