• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Good v-8 conversion for xj

If you stroke a 4.0L to a 4.6L you will have the equivilant power to a v8 so I geuss whoever has a stroker its a matter of time? Its all about how you drive it, punching a stock 4.0L will put stress on your drivetrain. People modify rigs get use to it

I can confirm that, at least in the sand, I made a lñittle drag race against two G.C's one 5.2 and the other 5.9L and the three ran at the same time, my 4.6L stroker smoked them by two XJs of lenght!

And now, soon to be Turboed!

Why do some people here resort to calling people idiots???

I have owned 3 Jeeps with 4.0L's. To be quite honest I'm not very impressed. Yes many many of them see very high mileage, 200K+, but not all of them do.

My '89 had piston slap noise at 70K. It never affected it much other than being annoying. It also developed a severe leak at 120K miles.

My '98 has actually been very good to me. At 133K miles it is still running very well. But although I think the 4.0 has plenty of power for rock crawling, not much power is needed, this motor is way under powered. I have towed with my '98 since it was new and I have always longed for more power. With a 3Klb camper I can barely make it up the mountains in CO. It also has a really hard time in NE, actually it has a hard time anywhere. I would love to do a V8 conversion. On top of that performance parts, or even stock parts, are rediculus for the 4.0.

This brings me to my wife’s ‘01. At 78K the motor crapped out. Apparently from a bad head gasket (water in the oil). A second motor crapped out in 3K. The newest motor seems to be doing fine. But when I was considering doing a stock rebuild on it I was shocked by the price of parts (pistons, rockers, etc). I think strokers for the 4.0 are just insanely priced. I can do a 347 Ford for about the price of a stock 4.0 rebuild. (Yes I know there is more to the cost of putting in a V8 but I'm just saying the 4.0 strokers are way over priced).

If my '98 ever needs a motor I'll likely just get a replacement motor from a recycler but I will be thinking long and hard about a 5.0L V8. The 5.0L has great torque, lots of power, great support, and are very compact. But in all likelihood it would be too much work. But I'll still be thinking about it.

That said I wouldn't go with a Jasper motor or any others. To keep costs down they have to be using really low end parts. I would get a low mileage motor from a yard any day. Mine even came with a lifetime warranty.

HTH,
B-loose

uhm this might help with your V8 conversion.as much as people might give me crap for saying the name on here but...TeraFlex is now just putting on the market a 5.7 hemi conversion for TJ's that include a plug in no cutting electronics,engine mounts,and aluminum radiator.if you contact them they might be able to tell you if it will work for an XJ minus the radiator.

Wil Badger said:
uhm this might help with your V8 conversion.as much as people might give me crap for saying the name on here but...TeraFlex is now just putting on the market a 5.7 hemi conversion for TJ's that include a plug in no cutting electronics,engine mounts,and aluminum radiator.if you contact them they might be able to tell you if it will work for an XJ minus the radiator.

Now that would be Saweet!!! But at over 5K for a Hemi crate motor plus the cost of the kit it counts me out for sure.

B-loose

well you also have to figure how many cars are coming with that motor now.just look for a cheap one out of a wreck or atleast cheaper

I think the bigger issue with the Hemi swap is the overall width of the motor. If you want to go high-tech, go LS-1. Stock they put out 350 hp/350lb-ft and many companies offer wiring harnesses for the swap. Just a thought.

MJ_Chubs said:
I think the bigger issue with the Hemi swap is the overall width of the motor. If you want to go high-tech, go LS-1. Stock they put out 350 hp/350lb-ft and many companies offer wiring harnesses for the swap. Just a thought.

Is that a pretty compact motor? I'm not the biggest Chevy fan but there is no doubt the LS-1 is a sweet motor. I like the 5.0L because it is so compact. That is why you see so many of those things stuffed in foreign cars (i.e. Sunbeam Tiger, TVR, AC, etc). If the LS-1 is small enough to fit it would make a great swap.

B-loose

The LS-1 is easily small enough to fit. IIRC, it's slightly smaller than the Gen 1 small-blocks. Weight on them is about 425 lbs so they're lighter than the 4.0's too.

I own an 85 xj woody with a 2.5 inline four. I am swapping in another 2.5 right now. I had a chance at a carb 302 for free and decided to stay with the 2.5. The cost for me and time made me stay with the 2.5. To many modifications to make in the engine compartment for the 5.0. I find the 2.5 reliable and durable enough for me out in the mud and trails. Someday when I have a deeper pocket I will swap with the V-8. Everybody should be able to make their own decisions on what to do with their own vehicle.

Just my .02.

Keep it Jeep. I have a complete 401 just needs assembled
Here's what I have,
1. block has been tanked, new brass freeze plugs, ball honed (so I can use stock pistons), cam bearings
2. crank was scored so I had it turned, matched main journal bearings
3. head reworked, hardened valve seats, new guides, couple new valves casting #3216090-1
4. all factory sheetmetal + chrome valve covers
5. cast iron square bore intake
6. all gaskets +
7. 600 holley
8. slightly used reground cam and lifters
9. roller tip rockers 1.6 ratio Slightly used
10.good used rods and pistons, just need cleaned up
here's what I need,
1. starter
2. fuel pump
Let me know if your interrested

ok joined just to jump in on this

I have done 1 tj v8 conversion and am in process of 87 xj conversion
putting a 383 in it, it will nickle and dime you to death be prepared cooling is not an issue if your friend over heats he is a cheap skate i used tpi and ecm from 90 iroc with twin electric fan if he chose to " cheap" out on the important stuff than so be it give advice not based on anothers ignorance but whats available. engine and drive line upgrades only half the cost think in terms of wiring,mounts gages,pulleys,water pumps,hoses, every other thing is a hundred bucks soon your over 2k in little things.That being said thats what we do we tinker so go for it read alot and ask real world questions who cares why your doing it .That being said if you are not a very skilled fabricator,and mechanicaly auto electric savvy dont even think about it you will fail end of story its a real tuff job and dont even think of using a naturally aspired engine. You will need tranny adaptors fab mounts exhaust drive shafts shifters speedo calibartion it goes on and on. I would do it again and again because i love to see how as well as make things work,again this aint no kids game ask alot of questions leave all the under powere dgear this gear that crap out of it who cares. God Speed

ok you guys are funny, joined to reply here we go,
Ive put a 383 in a tj
Im putting a 383 in a 87 xj
Fisrt can i say who said a chevy v8 is less reliable than a 4.0 LOL LMAO
your a fool that s why these have been in production for 55 years zip it up
secondly it doesnt atke thousands of dollars to build a high hp/tq sbc if it does your a fool again.
That being said if you are not a skilled fabbricator mechanic and eletraly savy stop day dreaming,next be prepared this project will nickle and dime you to death with 75 and 100 dollar items i mean every other time you go to get something its 75 -150 bucks minnimum,forget driveline upgrades youll need to decide on fuel injection or not why you wouldnt inject it i dont know best way tpi from late model iroc itll need speed density conversion plus ecm and wiring harness that the cost of a rock jock axel,a be cool radiator is wheels and tires, good distributor gauges pulleys hoses motor mounts tranny coversion plates sye shifters headers custom exhaust and on and on and on BUT go for it, thats what we people do we tinker ill do it time and tim eagain but i like to fk with things see how they work ,you cannot take the cheap way out anywhere or itll cost you double in the end all tolled it will prolly gonna run me 10k to build engine and get it in and running properly BUT it will out preform any 4 liter get better fule econmy with emissons leagl 383 stroker my tj pulls 368hp 391 lb/ft on dyno and passes emssions gets around 18 mpg theres my 2 cents

4.6L more money but you don't have to deal with all the swap BS for the power! Just Hydrolocked my motor last night so i am on my way to 4.6L.....

Back