• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY XJ

dustified1234567

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I am new to this all. I am buying an XJ within the next two weeks. I believe that it will be a 1992 maybe a 95 or 96. I want a 4.5 inch lift and don't know where to go for it. First off what kind of brand because i have heard good and bad about all of them. What is the deal with the 4 inch front and 3 inch back lifts are they good or bad and what is their purpose. Really i am looking for cheap as can be because i am a college students and don't really make a lot of money. Sorry about all of the questions but I am new to this so bear with me. Thanks a lot.

Dusty

ahhh. if you dont want to spend the money stop right now and turn away....

im sorry i got rustys 4.5 (cheapest for the full leaf packs but stilll great quality imho) and i still want more, then you get to the issue of drivline vibes so ill need a slip yoke eliminator, then new uppers.
33s will require a regear which will run you and easy 400 if you do it yourself.
id say save up till you have over 2000-3000 then do it right.
id go rustys lift. RE uppers. porc SYE (if you get vibes, i didnt at 4.5)

but deffinately just buy the lift and expect to have to buy a lot more stuff...

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

welcome to the world of jeeps brother

check out www.rustysoffroad.com

Well honestly...You dont need to re-gear, Because I run 33's on my stock geared Renix(Non High-Output) engine and I still comfortably drive on the highway and still have the power to get me through some pretty thick mud.
So really you'll only need to re-gear when you go to 35's. And about the lift... If you go with the 4.5" you wont need an SYE or have any Drive-line vibes if you get your wheels balanced and are lucky like most of us who didnt get vibes.

But if your a patient person then do exactly what Rocklandxjer said and save your money and get a bigger lift.

Well the thing is I am basing off of my buddies 89xj. He has a five inch custom lift that he put together himself. He cut his fenders a bunch to get the 35's on and he regeared once he put them on. Right off of the bat I am not that worried about vibes. I can work on that later as long as I don't ruin anything first off. I want to start by sitting on 33's and build the jeep and then go bigger once I have everything that I want like disconnects and exhaust bumpers that I am hoping to build myself. Lockers front and back, winch, and roof rack. My friend also has a dana 60 lying around that he doesn't need and he said he would give it to me for 100 and help me put it in for free so that would be nice. I am going for a low center of gravity. I figure that if i were to do something like an eight inch super, then i would have much more of a chance for a roll over. I am not really going for just mud I live in virginia for most of the year in college and they have some nice legal trails and illegal lol that I would like to run and actually do the obstacles lol. I originally thought of a dodge dakota but then when my friends f-150 with a nine inch lift and 38's followed my friends xj he broke a cv joint because of the IFS so that turned me on to jeeps. By the way sorry I am new what is SYE?

i run the rough country 4.5 and just installed 33-10.5-15 super swamper tsl radials and love it i dont rub unless i flex alot but soon to come are fender cut outs. also i had minor vibs around 60 mph but after putting the tires on all vibes went away. i didnt need a slip yolk just installed the kit and go. i got the fulls leafs so it was about 700 for the kit and bought the tires brand new from this guy for 200!!! with cut outs i think i can run 35s but mabe next year.

Sye = Slip Yoke Eliminator.. type it in the search..lots of good info on sye

have 99' w/ 4.5" lift from black mountain. i put 265/75-16(32") with little rub under flex in rear. total lift cost 550 w/ ship. all new springs f/r, LCA, shocks, brace line relocation, T.Case drop, and the stupid track bar bracket(dont use redrill exist location), no extras needed to drive. looking for 1-1.5" shackle for rear. i did complete lift in 2 days w/ friend, only complication was w/ broken shock bolts in rear.
goodluck

if you have the auto youd be better with 33s cause they came with 3.55 gears stock. the manuals however came with 3.07s even on little trails i have constant knocking and bogging with 32s

i call it practice so that when i regear ill be able to do anything if i can do what i do now on stock gears lol

yea mud might be ok, but if you are spinnin your tires on stock gears on 33s and you catch a nice piece of traction in there, prepare to hear BANG cause sooner or later those are goin to be too high geared for that much rubber.

of coarse if you dont trail ride a ton, you MIGHT be ok, especially with the auto.
id still reccomend the regear, itll get your mpgs back up if nothin else

im running 33's and 6in lift, and she runs 0-60 in 5 min's. thats stock gearin' for you. if you want an all around good tire id go with bfg's a/t or m/t. will be putting on 33 bfg m/t when i get my steering problems fixed.

You'll find through searching that rubicon expres comes highly reccomended from most people, though more expensive, the kit is more complete and better quality goods. I got the $600 rough country lift. I ended up buying new RE front springs and rebuilding my rear springs to fix a massive lean that came with the rough country kit. Oh and the shocks that come with the Rough country (doestch (sp?) tech 3000 I believe) suck beyond anything that you think you've seen suck before.

ohhh:doh: sorry.
well if you have a you pull it around, you could build your own for 1/3 the cost of a kit.
of course you would still need a few new parts, like an sye and stuff.
good luck on your lift, post us some pics when your done!

I have a 96 with a Rubicon Express 4.5 lift with Rubicon Shocks and 33x12x15 SS TRXUS MT's So far no problems, I didn't have to regear or use a yoke eliminator. I did use a set of adjustable coil spacers for a slight rub. The lift is rated for 32 inch tires. I also have cut out flares. All in all it is a great lift I haven't had any problems with it yet.

i just read again that you want to be able to get over obstacles. your clutch (even if its auto) is going to be dead with 33s on stock gears

im serious, you will become evermore frustrated with her as you progress in the types of trails you run.

the best advice any one can give you is

do it right the first time

it saves tons of money and you will be much happier with it. and if you can install a d60 im sure you and your friend can get some gears in there.

good luck with whatever you do

travis

Back