• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 44/9" full width cherokee build

That Jeep must have traveled a long distance and been around the block a few times for it to have a Paragon sticker on it.

hey bud, is that a stock gas tank skid you have?

You need one Brendan? I have one I was gonna use but i'm not sure if I will it needs sandblasted but its still solid.

I got my pic in Crawl Mag in the new Jeep!
f121913a.jpg

Bumper question: Red xj homemade bumper.

Rear bumper: The main "beam" tubing size... It looks like 2"x6" sq tubing??? I'm building my own rear bumper. Just wondering.

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP.

i never thought that jeep would ever move under its own power again.

good job on the flop haha. sick how hight that thing flexed though. why were they towing you through the air?

its quicker/easier to lift them off than to get them unstuck/winch them out.

good job on the flop haha. sick how hight that thing flexed though. why were they towing you through the air?

Actually I blew an inner bead and didn't want to cut up the tire trying to get unstuck/ drive out on it. But it is faster at comps to right upsidedown rigs and pull stuck ones out with heavy equipment vs. Winching. It's also safer for the crowd.

This isn't really XJ specific tech but I thought I'd share:

with most 16.5" wheels you don't really get an inner safety bead on the rim,
so even with outer beadlocks I was blowing inner beads at super low pressures in comps.

So I created my own inner bead by welding 3/16" hot rolled round bar inside the rim. (It's easy to bend by hand).

1.) Measure and mark where the innner bead sits on the rim (I found masking tape is approx. the same width as a bead on a 39.5 TSL).
272abaeb.jpg

2.) Tack weld the bar around the rim so it will hold fit evenly.
12755fe9.jpg

3.) Weld on the inside so the tire can "ramp" over the round bar. RTV the weld & outside, so if there is a pinholes in the weld it will seal.
bb536e00.jpg

Now I can run sub 5psi and never never blow a bead. It does make the inner bead harder to seat but not too bad. :D

I didn't blow a single bead this year, and even though it wasn't scored by classes, I'm pretty sure I got the quickest time in the rock race for the Legends class at the Delta Old School Rock Crawl this year ;)
229141_10150249444076047_628931046_9186160_4581027_n-1.jpg

I've got some more cheap/ free tech I'll add tomorrow :farmer:

Last edited:
Here is your cheap/ nearly free tire grooving tech:

I while ago I grooved my TSL's!
I've been wanting to for a long time.
But didn't have a groover, so I came up with a cool solution that's faster than a grooving iron and cheaper

IMG_20100913_183757.jpg

I used a gasket hole punch (they are about $10).
Put it in my big roofing drill and went to town.
post-328-129415927161_thumb.jpg

post-328-129415928154_thumb.jpg

If you hold it so the tip is just above the surface of the tire (horizontally) it will zip through a tread block in literally 1 second.

I hadn't ever been able to make the Devil's Highway hot tub (the huge tub) on Hell's Revenge before doing this... after I did it, I was able to!

Back