• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Question?

I am running one now cause I needed something cheap a while back. It sounds ok, is near indistructable, and cheap. Personally, I am going with a dynomax super turbo for about $15 more when I redo the exhaust. They tend to be a bit more raspy, and they are a bit louder if that is your thing.

Loud is not my thing. I want a more mellow tone, so I am going with the super turbo.

I have the super turbo and I have been very happy with it. I have yet to go wheelen with it so I dont know how well it will hold up.

plain and simple you come down on a glass filled muffler it's going to crush. If you have a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster it will hold up. The trade off is that the glass filled muffler generally sounds better.

yea I am running a medium length glasspack with headers and it sounds fantastic. great rumble at idle and low revs with higher pitched "race car" sounds around 4k and sounds awesome on the overrun. Backfires every once and a while too. I'm thinking of removing the cat to get flames

...and the flowmaster doesn't flow. I like the glasspack because it is easy to tuck up out of the way. I have landed on mine a couple of times with no result other than some scratches.

i have a 2 chamber pipe on my 88 called a "turbo tube" and it gives it a nice low sound when at idle.

and dont for get some new muffler bearings.:dunce:

If you want something to holdup. Don't do glass. The glass burns and blows out over time and the tone will change and get louder. Witch you may like? Also if this a temp piping system a G pack will do fine. If you want to fix it and forget it. Look else were.

scoobyxj said:
plain and simple you come down on a glass filled muffler it's going to crush. If you have a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster it will hold up. The trade off is that the glass filled muffler generally sounds better.

wow i really hope you aren't serious

i'm not trying o flame on you or anything but it's not glass as in a glass bottle inside of the muffler it's fiber glass as in like insulation

it's not going to smash

i had my glass pack fall off i ran it over and so did the other to jeeps behind me i took it home and welded it back on and it stayed there till i took it off and it sounded the same even though the out side shell was slightly dented/oval shaped

I converted my muffler bearings to bushings and i got at least 60 horses...

i just got a flowmaster super44 have yet to put it on but i had a cherry bomb glasspack on my other xj and it wasn't what kind of sound i was looking for i held the flowmaster up to the end of the cat and it sounds awesome exactly what i was looking for...

No offence to anyone but flowmasters sound like crap to me. It's like the sound my tractor should make. Dieselish(I hate diesels). Not to mention how they don't "flow" Everytime I hear a super 44 I just think "what an idiot". It's way to loud, it's the wrong sound, and your not making any extra power. What's the point? All my friends think "flowmasters are the shit! 40 extra horsepower, and 5 more mpg dude!". Just goes to show how much marketing can effect people. Speaking of which, I ordered those muffler bearings for shits and giggles

I had a FM40 2.25" put in when I got my custom down tube bent up.
Whoops.
The flowmaster irritates the hell out of me. Not quite ready to shell out for a glasspack but damned if I'd ever buy another Flowmaster.

KMK172008 said:
No offence to anyone but flowmasters sound like crap to me. It's like the sound my tractor should make. Dieselish(I hate diesels). Not to mention how they don't "flow" Everytime I hear a super 44 I just think "what an idiot". It's way to loud, it's the wrong sound, and your not making any extra power. What's the point? All my friends think "flowmasters are the shit! 40 extra horsepower, and 5 more mpg dude!". Just goes to show how much marketing can effect people. Speaking of which, I ordered those muffler bearings for shits and giggles

XJs are tractors.
I had FM 40 series and i was ok, not the best. I have a cherrybomb on it now and i like it better. I just wish my XJ sounded like a MK3 supra with exhaust...

scoobyxj said:

:huh: :conceited

Are you serious. what part of backwoods West Virginia are you from? A flowmaster sounds way better than any shitty ass Glasspack

KMK172008 said:
you know that the supra engine bolts right up to the jeep trans right?

You know they use the AW4 on toyota's right?

Back