• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monthly Trail Runs

Some: I'm pulling info off an archived version of the old Trail Damage (that site is a little finicky) and copying into a Word Doc, playing with the formatting.

We'll see how this looks...

Kelly Flats, Rating:3-8
Larimer County, Colorado
Roosevelt National Forest
Canyon Lakes Ranger District
Forest Service Roads: 168, 168C
Nearby Towns: Fort Collins
Nearby Trails: Sevenmile Creek, Bald Mountain, Pingree Park, Manhattan Road, Deadman Road
Trail Length: 10.5 miles
Elevation: 6,750 to 8,655 feet
Named Obstacles: Heart Attack Hill, Aneurysm Hill, The Chutes
Driving Directions
From Ft. Collins, take Highway 287 around LaPorte. Take Highway 14 left at Ted's Place and go about 25 more miles until you see a sign for the Kelly Flats campground on the left. There is a large parking area immediately to your right where you can air down. The trail starts right away from there.

I'll probably link to the respective Ranger Districts' MVUM.

Mike, just pick a bunch of trails and set the dates. Ask Dutch, me, even you, anyone who made a trail run last year. You are not going to get hardly any participation regardless of what you choose. So there is no point in doing a ton of research on whats out there. The one trail cleanup was the only run where we even got a noticeable group of people out. Dutch lead one of runs and like one dude in a Wrangler showed up. Just make a list and be done with it, people will come or they won't.

Mike, just pick a bunch of trails and set the dates. Ask Dutch, me, even you, anyone who made a trail run last year. You are not going to get hardly any participation regardless of what you choose. So there is no point in doing a ton of research on whats out there. The one trail cleanup was the only run where we even got a noticeable group of people out. Dutch lead one of runs and like one dude in a Wrangler showed up. Just make a list and be done with it, people will come or they won't.

This is part of my evil plan to get the members engaged in chapter activities. In a roundabout way, you even made the case for market research: The runs the BOD scheduled were hit or miss for attendance, the unscheduled run was set by asking the members when they could attend.

Now for that work/life/NAXJA balance...

If somebody wants to run a trail post up with the name and a date, then see who else can make it. Don't just wait for other people to post up, the effort it takes to ask the BOD on here if they've made a schedule for trail runs is the same effort it takes to propose a trail run.

Then you shouldn't be on the board.

Pretty soon NAXJA is going to be California, the Midwest and jack else.

Pretty sure I've offered to resign more than once. If the main members of the BOD ask me to help them with something I will, and I'll help moderate the forum as well. I've got my own family/kid, I'm a Shop Foreman at work, and a platoon SGT at drill. I've got too many people to baby sit as it is. I'm here to offer advice and help out when asked, but I'm not going to dedicate a bunch of my limited personal time to plan events I most likely can't attend.

If my buggy weren't down, the truck down as well, and my blue 2001 build not complete I'd be setting up some wheeling :laugh:

I'm still planning on getting my Blue XJ done in time to go play on the Montrose Trip. He'll, it's been to far passed when I shoulda been out to see ya Mike :D

I'll be out there with the buggy this year sometime as well, and you know I'll likely have an open seat. Might have an open seat for ya as well in Sept.Oct for a long three-ish day Moab weekend.

I'm trying to get as farkin' much done as possible asap, since I'm going to be rather...busy...here it looks like towards the end of the year/beginning of next year :eyes:

Kids will do that to you, but my son slept just fine in his stroller in the garage.

Yeah I’d say you’re a bit over due Justin. Lots of good fun wheeling here for your buggy in town. Or just up the road.

Well that got interesting real quick, didn’t realize how few people showed up to planned runs last year.

If there’s a trail cleanup again please post it so I can get my kids out of the house and it the mountains.

We have to do two Adopt-a-Road runs before September 30th to meet our agreement.

I'll take the trail list and set up polls tonight, leave the homework for later.

We have to do two Adopt-a-Road runs before September 30th to meet our agreement.

I'll take the trail list and set up polls tonight, leave the homework for later.

Spoke with Dutch and we both agreed no Colorado fest this year but want to do a long weekend of camping in early July around Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats/Plane crash area. We can plan a trail father south in June.

Spoke with Dutch and we both agreed no Colorado fest this year

Might as well put up the vote to dissolve the chapter. Coloradofest isn’t just for the locals. It’s for other areas and, arguably more importantly, for the sponsors. It’s an opportunity to get stuff from the sponsors as well as give back by exposing people to product they may not otherwise buy, and gives them photos to show as part of their involvement. The bitching about getting no products for cofest has been ongoing for a while. After no event at all, good luck.
If you agree no cofest, just close the chapter. IMHO.

Might as well put up the vote to dissolve the chapter. Coloradofest isn’t just for the locals. It’s for other areas and, arguably more importantly, for the sponsors. It’s an opportunity to get stuff from the sponsors as well as give back by exposing people to product they may not otherwise buy, and gives them photos to show as part of their involvement. The bitching about getting no products for cofest has been ongoing for a while. After no event at all, good luck.
If you agree no cofest, just close the chapter. IMHO.

You are more than welcome to organize Colorado fest if you like, I have minimal vacation time and I don't have a week off to attend.

You are more than welcome to organize Colorado fest if you like, I have minimal vacation time and I don't have a week off to attend.

Oh you mean post up trail ideas and dates with a timeline for ease of the BOD for y’all to not talk about for a month now and then want to change to fit what you think will be best? Ha. I’m good. This is why I left BOD. Y’all act like it’s so hard to do shit, then get pissy if someone call you out on it. What has BOD accomplished so far this year now that we are starting the 5th month of the year? Seems like it’s been a whole lot of nothing. Even attempts to stir conversation ends with silence between the bod. Maybe instead of trying to get members and users to participate more, how about y’all start with yourselves? Total dumpster fire.

Oh you mean post up trail ideas and dates with a timeline for ease of the BOD for y’all to not talk about for a month now and then want to change to fit what you think will be best? Ha. I’m good. This is why I left BOD. Y’all act like it’s so hard to do shit, then get pissy if someone call you out on it. What has BOD accomplished so far this year now that we are starting the 5th month of the year? Seems like it’s been a whole lot of nothing. Even attempts to stir conversation ends with silence between the bod. Maybe instead of trying to get members and users to participate more, how about y’all start with yourselves? Total dumpster fire.

Like I said you are more than welcome to take over Colorado fest or the BOD since you have so much time on your hands. Never said it's hard to do but I do have a life other than this forum. Feel free to do as you wish but I am done with your negativity.

How bout we do like nat’l. Post up minutes and topics resolved or issues sorted out. Don’t worry. I’ll wait.

8 people have participated in the COFest? thread including you and I. 2 of those 8 already said they can't go no matter when it is. Out of the other 4 remaining 2 are also BOD. Doesn't seem like much demand for us to organize said event. That's why I tried to take your Rimrocker trip and basically make it COFest. When you consider Intermountain is now part of the CO Chapter it makes sense. Some beautiful scenic trails in the Montrose area, a little bit of overlanding into Utah, and then some time in Moab to enjoy one of the meccas of offroading. Once you got all pissy with me about scheduling I gave up on the idea. I would've gladly worked with you on the camp site locations etc so that a good plan could've been developed and people would know exactly where and when to go to meet the group in case they couldn't get the time off to make the entire thing. Quite frankly though, once you got negative I didn't want to even try to work with you on it. You have your trip how you want it and if I can make it I still will, but I'm not going to try to organize it into anything else.

FYI Mike, I responded the day you posted up the trip plans. When Fred and I suggested revising the timeline a bit to make it more accessible for people you got pissy and said..

That’s MY plans for what will be doing with myself and a few folks I know.
If you want to join. Great. Want it to be cofest. Great. Want to change and do your own shit. Great.
Here’s a plan. Take it or ****ing leave it. This piddle paddle bullshit is why it’s mid April and nothing has been set up at all yet.

At that point I dropped it and let your trip be your trip.

Don't talk about how easy it is to plan things for a majority group to be able to participate in and how the BOD is so easy when you yourself quit the BOD and get a poor attitude about any suggestions to your plans to aid in participation. Maybe you can enlighten me on what great strides you made for the improvement of the chapter? Because if you made such a difference in turning this forum into an active community that participates in activities together it sure didn't last long.

In the end this is a forum. Its a place on the internet where people can jointly communicate. By being designated as a "local" message board it aids in finding people to wheel with and maybe help each other out with projects. I and the other members of the BOD could arbitrarily come out with a schedule of trail runs with no input from other members and what good would it do? We have a list of dates nobody attends either due to not liking the trail or not having that time available? That's why Mike asked for people to post up trails and dates that work for them. To get member input for putting together a list of "sanctioned" runs. If none of the members are willing to put input into the trail list, then why should we? I can just text the couple of people I know will go wheeling with me and then post up an open invite to the forum for people to join us.

Last edited:
BTW, you want an arbitrary trail list with no input/consideration from/of other people? Fine, here is your trail list:

Sat Jun 16: Eagle Rock/Saran Wrap, meet at Home Depot on Lake at 9AM

Sat Jul 21: Spring Creek, meet at the Starbucks in Downieville at 9AM

Sat Aug 18: MSV/Coney, meet at the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons at 9AM

Sat Sep 15: Kelly Flats, meet at the Ted's Place Shell Gas Station at 9AM

Sat Oct 20: Red Cone, meet at the Loaf N Jug in Conifer at 9 AM

There you go, take it or leave it. We'll see who shows up.

Back