• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MileMarker hub conversion problem.

MudDawg

NAXJA Member #728
I am helping install a milemarker hub conversion...kit 33-50020 with the 297X axle joints....all pretty straight forward....went together real slick.....until we went to install the lock hubs.....there is about a 1/8" gap between the wheel hub and the lock hub.....the wheel hub has a recess and the lock hub has a raised ring that appears to be supposed to fit together, and a o-ring to seal the whole thing...the o-ring is not being compressed....i put lug nuts on the studs and tightened them down (not very) and there is no binding, the hubs lock and unlock perfectly....I know this is not right or dirt and mud will fill up the hubs on the first trip out....

I called MM and they were very nice and appear to be concerned with their product, but request that I E-mail some pics...which I will do tomorrow, but I was wondering if any of my NAXJA Bros have seen this before....

I have the warn kit, but milemarker hubs on it. There is a very very slight gap, almost like its at an angle and doesn't fit flat all the way around. Once its tightened down its fine.

Problem solved!!! party1: The problem turned out to be minor finishing details in the stud holes on the lock hubs...two were ever so slightly off index...a little clean-up with the ole die grinder and a carbide burr took care of it...

And to let everybody know...the folks at Mile Marker are excellent...I worked this thru with one of their techs...he set up a kit at the factory and called me up ....and helped me identify the problem... they were very on the ball...nice to have a vendor that is genuinely concerned with their customers...They are on my "Steve's Approved Vendor List" And I tend to be a hard nosed old SOB....

Just a helpful hint now that you have them installed. My wheels come on and off fairly frequently and I was always worried that debris would get into the bearings since the locking hub unit can easily fall away. I purchased some 1/2" lock clips at the hardware and put two on each hub. It keeps them nice and snug and they are easy to take off when needed.

Great Idea!!! I will do that....but I am going to seal them together using a bead of Toyota Cam plug sealant...(looks like black silicone, but WAYYY tougher)...and if I need to remove the locks, reseal when it goes back together.

Back