• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mild Jeepspeed built Rig as A DD??

Side note, How many jeepspeed rigs have long arm kits, or radius long arm kits?

I personally like the idea of long arm kits. They tend to fix a lot of the cycling issues that occur with short arms, high lift/ pivot angles etc. What are the current cons to long arms? Since the arms are more exposed, are people afraid of being hung up on rocks?

I can't say for sure how many JS have Long Arms, but both are represented.

-Randy

I personally like the idea of long arm kits. They tend to fix a lot of the cycling issues that occur with short arms, high lift/ pivot angles etc. What are the current cons to long arms? Since the arms are more exposed, are people afraid of being hung up on rocks?

I can't say for sure how many JS have Long Arms, but both are represented.

-Randy
I'm a fan of long arms as well, even though I've never run a set haha. But I don't see the complaint of getting hung up on them, because if you're running short arms you sure as hell be running drop brackets if you want ANY sort of correct suspension geometry, which means you'd get hung up on those as well.

I do however think that if you're going to run a 4 link it needs to be a true 4 link, not a radius arm setup.

My Rock Krawler 3 link gets hung up in the rocks, but it's built pretty stout, so it's not a huge concern. For my rather tame "pre-running" (45 mph tops with constant vigilance for wash outs, dips, and whoops) it's definitely a big improvement over my short arms, but then they were in the stock location, no drop brackets at the time.

Most go fast guys don't run a "kit" persay... at least I'm not. I'm running a mixture of parts that work well. If I were to buy a kit though, I'd start with the full traction long arm kit, and go from there. Deaver makes full traction's springs for them, but that doesn't mean they're up to par with Deavers. After that you'd want to upgrade to some resivoir shocks, and actual Deaver or National springs.

If you want to save a bit of money though, keep an eye out for deals from go fast guys. I run short arms and drop brackets and it does GREAT in the go fast stuff.

RK 4 link, rusty's 6.5in springs, 12in bilstein 5150's, and deaver leafs 1.5in RE boomerang shackle, and 14in bilstein 5125's

It works nice... but it's not a jeepspeed. It's being built as an "all arounder"

Ok, springs, Deavers are going to be your best bet, they've been in the game quite a while and make a Jeepspeed specific application. If you don't want to run Deavers, some guys run the 8" skyjacker coils and cut them down to the height they want. Leaves, again, if not Deaver then look into National or Alcan. They both make excellent springs, but you're gonna end up spending more to get something custom built through them most likely.

As for arms, any good name brand arm should do you fine, I'd stay away from Rusty's stuff, but as for everybody else you should be fine. Go with heims or uniball style arms, not bushings. Heims/Uniballs will allow the axle to flex better and droop the way it's supposed to without bind. Drop brackets, any will work really, I'm running rough country, as Jason is a supporter of this site and makes a kick ass deal on RC stuff.

Shocks are really up to you. If you want to stick to stock mounting locations you can run a 2.5" resi up front and a 2.0" in the rear. If you want to build a shock hoop through the floor like a lot of guys do, then you're pretty much open to any size you want to run. Fox, Bilstein, Swayaway, King, etc. are all good shock companies.

As for height, the lower the better really. Mine is right around 5.5-6" and it's too high for me. I'd like to lose about an inch

As for height, the lower the better really. Mine is right around 5.5-6" and it's too high for me. I'd like to lose about an inch.

How you going to do this?

As for height, the lower the better really. Mine is right around 5.5-6" and it's too high for me. I'd like to lose about an inch.

How you going to do this?
Well, as it is my Alcans sit pretty high, I have a new set of deavers, they're going to sit about an inch lower than I sit right now. As for the front, I'm going to be making the jump to coilovers, therefore allowing me to adjust my height. I'll be able to control my up/down travel numbers by the shock setup I'll be doing in the rear, as well as the coilovers I'll be running in the front. I'd like to be at full tuck, at bump.

I've only had them on my daily driver for about 29 hours and haven't had a chance to go out in the desert and really test them.
But in my opinion, unequivocally, beyond any doubt, without any questions, no further discussion, PERIOD run Deaver front coils!!

Whats your specs? thanks

I've only had them on my daily driver for about 29 hours and haven't had a chance to go out in the desert and really test them.
But in my opinion, unequivocally, beyond any doubt, without any questions, no further discussion, PERIOD run Deaver front coils!!

That means you did some more stuff Curt... spill the beans on here buddy!!

That means you did some more stuff Curt... spill the beans on here buddy!!

I can't wait to take her out Tony! See you at the next race or maybe even prerunning for it :D
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244430462&postcount=74

oakesters said:
Whats your specs? thanks

I'm a sales rep and average say 100 miles a day so I didn't want to go too wild. But I do chase at races too so the RE 3.5" coils were too soft.
Here are the specs ...
89 Limited, over 200K on the odometer, 4.0L with AW4 and 4.10 gears. Deaver 5.5" front coils, 7100 remote res Bilsteins valved at 275/78,
Bilstein 4" air bumps, limit straps, RE drop brackets and T&J upper shock mounts on the front. RE 3.5" full pack with JKS boomerang shackle. 33X12.50X15 BFG AT.
Couldn't be happier with the front end setup ;)

im looking into some 7100s at the moment what travel did you end up going with?

by the way, front end looks bitchen!

Back