• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LS2 XJ

V8? In a Cherokee? It'll never work, the frame will crack, it won't fit right, hope you're gonna run Dana 60's....or 61's.
:jester:

Lookin' forward to seeing some progress pics.

60s? Hell no!

Its gotta have rocks! Otherwise when you put it in gear the whole Jeep will break in half.

Im going to head down to one of my manufacturers here in a bit to pick up his bead locks. I will take pictures of them when I get back. They are going to be powder coated before we mount the tires up.

By the way, for those who didn't know, this is my Company Screen Name. Team Willys is my personal one. I do advertise in it as well, but Just wanted everybody to know that I do support NAXJA as a paying advertiser. I just didn't want anybody to get upset over me advertising in my screen name with out a blue name. Haha, I do have one, here it is. I just use the other one more because I had it first.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering, "Who is this guy and why is he hijacking this thread?"

Anywho.. Thanks for supporting NAJXA. Looking forward to the updates and pictures..

Ok, so most of you all were wanting pictures of the jeep, so I went by today to collect payment for the bead locks, and snapped a few pictures while I was there. Everything you see so far was built by me here at RSORF. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the inside, but I will try to get a few at some point.

Enjoy:

0518101033a.jpg

0518101034a.jpg

0518101034b.jpg

0518101034d.jpg

0518101034c.jpg

And his bead locks:

0518101342a.jpg

V8? In a Cherokee? It'll never work, the frame will crack, it won't fit right, hope you're gonna run Dana 60's....or 61's.
:jester:

Lookin' forward to seeing some progress pics.

you forgot "will fold like a taco"

When my 4.0 dies I plan on an LS motor swap myself, it might be a long wait though.

Well, I guess it has officially started... the parts from Novak cam in today, so I pulled the transmission off of the engine and took it over to the shop to have the tail housing and output shaft swapped over. Tomorrow I have some other things I have to do (gotta take MELKORsXJ Willys up to the tuner to try and get it running better with the blower) plus the trans wont be ready until Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, so I will still have plenty of time to get the 4.0 out in preparation for the LS2.

Until then though, here are some pictures to hold you guys over!

Ceramic coated Novak headers:

0524101610c.jpg

Novak aluminum radiator:

0524101609a.jpg

Novak mounts:

0524101610a.jpg

More updates coming soon!

Hey hey now, lol. Don't be knocking the strokers! I build those too! Haha.

I will be pulling out the 4.0 first thing in the morning.

Well, I got a lot of stuff done today: Got the 4.0, AW4, and 231 pulled this morning. I also removed the factory engine frame mounts and installed the novak ones. I then went and picked up the trans from the trans shop and got it put back on the engine. I still had some time left, so I thought I would continue with my strides and go ahead and try to get her sitting in... well, ran into issue #1. Novak really let me down on this one... half of the hardware was wrong and was incomplete. The bolts provided were standard SAE stuff where as both the XJ and the LS2 are all metric. Also, some of the bolts that hold the frame mounts in are supposed to have nuts with them, but only 1 size (of the 3) had the nuts. So I had to provide those. Not too big of a deal, just a slight aggravation. The real issue was that there were no directions provided, they aren't hard to figure out though. Unfortunately, because there were no directions, I spent time trying to figure out which way the engine plates were supposed to bolt onto the engine. The rubber pucks were off set (see pictures provided above). So, after decided the best thing to do was just to call and ask, we determined that they are not the correct ones!!! :gonnablow They sent me frame brackets for an XJ and engine plates for a JK. The guy said he would ship out the correct ones when he got a chance... I was like "Excuse me? When you get a chance?" I told him that I needed to know when they were gonna be here b/c it was a customer vehicle. Well, after about 15 mins of arguing and ranting around, I finally was able to get him to agree to send it over night. It better be here tomorrow is all I have to say. The guy was being an ass...

I still recommend them though, maybe he was just having a bad day. I would say that if you need something, talk to Ryan. He has an XJ himself, so if you mention that's what you are working on, he'll help you out. :) Even with their mistake, this was still a way better alternative to building mounts myself.

Anyway, the headers are on, the frame mounts are in... once the engine plates arrive it will be time for a test fit!

. The guy was being an ass...

maybe he was just having a bad day.

i never give people that grace..... you might give him that benefit of the doubt but you never get it in return when talking with a customer of your own ;) glad to hear your makin good progress

The bolts provided were standard SAE stuff where as both the XJ and the LS2 are all metric.

I see this with other things too, can't understand why companies still do this. I know its easier/cheaper for them. If they just charged an extra 5-10 bucks and passed on the cost to us for the "metric hardware effort" we would actually be a lot happier.

Even with their mistake, this was still a way better alternative to building mounts myself.

This is so true, I have 30 hours into designing/planning/building mine. $210/30 hrs = $7 per hour... yeah its worth it.

Well, even with our little mount situation and set back, I am still officially ahead of schedule. I had to work on my truck some today to get ready for a day trip to "The Cove" for a little day ride. While I was finishing that stuff up, the UPS man showed up with a package from Novak, it had the engine plates and the hardware that goes with them (which I didn't get the first time either). Big thanks goes out to them for making that happen.

Well, after finishing the truck, it was about 7 PM and I was feeling kinda froggy so I decided to keep on working and see if I could get the engine sitting in the XJ. I mounted up the plates and did some quick measuring. The GTO alternator was going to hit the Jeep PS box so I went ahead and took it and it's brackets off. I was go for launch and started jacking up the hoist. After about halfway up, the strap broke and the engine fell about 2 feet. When it hit the floor the oil pan broke really badly and also broke the block. At this point, you are probably like WHAT?!?, then of course Im gonna tell you that I am completely full of crap and I didn't drop it at all. :roflmao: So anyway, test fit #1. I got it started into the jeep and got it almost lined up, but ran into some more issues. The A/C compressor hit the frame, so without significant work and notching it out, it just wasn't going to fit. So, It came off as well. For some reason though, it still wouldn't drop down into place... I couldn't see anything hitting, but it just wouldn't go. I finally saw it... The GTO oil pan has a front sump oil pan. It isn't very deep at all, so I figured that it would clear and be just fine. I was wrong. The oil filter was hitting the Track Bar, and the steering stabilizer's mounting bolt was hitting the oil pan. So, I took both of those off as well. After 2.5 hours of struggling, cursing, pushing, pulling, and prying, it finally set down into place.

It is a tight fit, but actually fits very well. It sorta looks like it was meant to go there actually. Tomorrow I am going to work on the crossmember and get it in there. I had to pick up a different transmission mount, so that will take a slight amount of work to get in. I will then mount up the 231 and try to figur out a linkage. Novak claims that the factory linkage will work on their website, but I just don't see it happening, but... I am gonna give it another go once its in.

So enough chit chat.

Who's ready to see what an LS2 looks like in a cherokee?

Picking her up in preparation for the transplant:

0527102003a.jpg

Starting to get it in the hole!

0527102008a.jpg

0527102008b.jpg

And here it is!

0527102134c.jpg

0527102139a.jpg

0527102139b.jpg

I'll try to make another update tomorrow!

Wowzy Wowzy woo-woo!

Engine envy!

x2 on the vette valve covers! :greensmok

I will then mount up the 231 and try to figur out a linkage. Novak claims that the factory linkage will work on their website, but I just don't see it happening, but... I am gonna give it another go once its in.

Frank Z was able to make the factory linkage work with some modification.
I used the one from Novak (below) and with a couple well placed bends have it coming through the console like its supposed to. I like it. I tried the one from Advanced Adapters first and couldn't make it work.

NovakShifterLinkage-1.jpg

Back