• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low-RANGE Mag for Jan/Feb

Grizzley

NAXJA Forum User
Really amazing. First we have west coast mags giving away trail names and areas so that we lose a mountain in ME to wheel. Then this mag, which seems to do a decent job of covering the North East area, puts a cover pic of a 4x4 tearing up the trail during a Toys for Tots run and throwing stuff all over. Inside front cover has a full page ad for Tread Lightly. :looser:

Ya, I know we all get stuck once in a while and have to give it more than the tires will take for traction, but on the front cover?

i swear peole preach all these principle's and then they just go ahead and dont hold them true to themsleves. it's actually quite sad in some ways. i dont understand some of those magazines sometimes. and what mountain did they end up closing in maine due to the them telling everyone. that really sucks and thats the things that give four wheeling a bad rap everytime.

I've got to differ...I don't think that bit of (excessive?) wheelspin necessarily contradicts with TreadLightly. I beleive that run was on private property in CT with the landowners full permission and they are obviously on an established trail and what looks like pretty firm ground. If there's anything in that article that my be questionable it's the buggy up on a boulder that from the description sounds like it may have been off of the established trail. IMO trail braiding and trail widening and excessive go-arounds along with high traffic volume are what ruin trails and get them closed.

Like "Costello Mountian" in ME, the problem was much deeper and existed long before that article. Although I think the article unintentionally and naively illuminated a big part of the problem when they stated that one of the "great things" about the mountain was that there were dozens of different lines to the top all criss-crossing eah other for vehicles of all abilities....... :gag:

and for the record it WAS NOT Low-Range Magazine that published the article that is in question regrding the location in Maine. i think it was $wheel drive & sport utility magazine.

and the Toy Drive was, as Bic pointed out, on private land. and the huge boulder in question absolutley IS on the trail.

I didn't imply that it was Low-Range that gave away the mountain, I stated that it was a west coast mag. On private land or public land, does the sport really need that type of advertising? That was my point . . .

Back