• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Winter Driving Tips

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
OK. For the years that I have owned my XJ, it has done everything I've asked of it, except perform well in winter conditions. This was true when I lived in Eastern Oregon, as well as my current stint in Colorado. I see lots of other XJs that don't seem to have any trouble handling the adverse conditions, but I've had to rely on my 4Runner in this latest streak of snowy weather (with which I've had no problem). My XJ seems to be tail happy, wanting to spin around at any slight change in speed or direction. My 88 manual XJ is stock and currently running fairly new 235/70-15 Michelin M/S2s, but studs don't seem to help much either. Are there things that you differently for your XJ in winter weather? Is it a matter of getting more weight over the rear axle? Looking for any tricks that might help gain additional traction out of my XJ (other than winter tires - which I understand).

My XJ is just more squirrely than my Chev K1500, it has a shorter wheelbase. The difference between my wifes XJ and mine is, my wifes has a limited slip and this takes some getting used to.

I had some issues with mine once, my wheel cylinder was leaking, the rear shoes got soft on one side. They would drag a little when I was driving straight, if I hit the brakes the side with the leaky wheel cylinder would tend to lock up. A rear drum that locks up will turn you around in a circle quick on snow or ice. A limited slip has a certain characteristic in a turn and may swap the bias from one side to the other quick, under just the right circumstances and try to turn you around in a circle on wet or slick streets.

Snow and ice is when you learn to appreciate the sway bars, especially the front, the flatter it drives the better, if it sways the weight shifts.

Check your trac bar for movement at the top joint. When mine went it got pretty squirrely in the snow.

Most of it is just technique IMO, easy on the gas, easy on the brakes. The smoother you drive it the better.

As 8Mud says...it's all about technique...AND tires. Trying to power out of a corner, or depending much the brakes is asking for trouble. Anticipating problems ahead, giving people space and slowing down is the best advice I can think of. The difference between my XJ and MJ is huge as there is little weight in the rear of the MJ. If I'm anticipating a trip to the mountains in snowy weather I usually pack my gear towards the rear.

I've had really good luck with Cooper A/T's on my XJ. I have studded Wild Country A/T's on the truck, the XJ is far more predictable. Tire studs are really only any good on ice, or snow with ice underneath it. Out west there is no salt on the roads to soften the ice.

The main part of driving safely on the highway in the snow is to slow the hell down!! Most of the wrecks I see on snowy days are caused by yahoos' thinking that since they have 4WD or AWD the speed restrictions don't apply to them.

Having your tires siped when you buy them can help, but the bottom line is that we tend to run tires with a bigger surface patch area. You would think that would make for better traction, but not so. I have found that on snow and ice, pizza cutters work better. As long as I am not having to bust 18" drifts, I stick with my all wheel drive 96 exploder with BFG Long Trail's. It goes just about anywhere.

It also doesn't hurt having 50 years experience on snow and ice.

I learned to drive in winter in RWD and FWD vehicles. My Jeep doesn't go into 4wd in the winter(Lunchbox locker is sketchy in slick stuff) unless i'm pulling someone out. I'm just used to it. KM2's are useless on ice but i haven't had any issues in snow. Now yesterday, I drove my buddy's stock XJ with all terrains and open diffs and had to go into 4wd to get out of my brother's FLAT unshoveled driveway. I absolutely love limited slip in winter, my jeep has a true trac in the rear. My advice would be to get a nice siped all terrain or run winter tires(winterforce, blizzak and the like) or go studded if its allowed.

I live in Canada, we get snow, I love my XJ I think it handles really well in the snow. I think it's about technique and knowledge of your own car, like others have said, easy on the gas, easy on the brakes. When I'm in SNOW (like on dirt roads), I recommend the 4x4.. I've gunned it out of tight curves, I could not have done it in 2x4.. it scared the passenger tho.

I have A/T tires, not snow tires.. So when there is any amount of snow it's hard to pick up speed, you need to learn to go real easy on the pedals. Somehow I still brake quicker then some with new car winter tires ABS & anti-skid system...

I think the best practice is to be relaxed... And aware of everything.

Thanks all for your replies. Most of your comments confirm what I already know to be true. Yes, the conditions I usually see here is the typical front range packed snow over ice, as the snow melts by day, freezes overnight, and gets covered by a new dusting. I have been disappointed by the Michelins and would prefer the Coopers that Paradise XJ mentioned (in fact, I have a new set of AT3s on the 4Runner). I do try and drive slower and keeping distance between the vehicles in front of me and wonder that, if its my technique that suffers, if its due to my use of the clutch (manual tranny) in winter conditions. I do have an LSD which may compound things. My studded tires are seven years old, so maybe the best thing right off the bat is to get a set true winter tires on my extra set of wheels. Just seemed that with all of the other XJs in my area that seem to fly right along in winter conditions, there might be something that I was missing. I'll have to check the track bar (again) to see if there's any movement. I'm about ready to replace that with one of the bolt through mount types.

Usually a softer tire does better than a harder tire. I haven't tried the exact same tire you have, but have noticed Michelins tend to have a harder compound and seem to last well.

The Goodrich AT's I favor are a compromise, soft but not too soft and last well enough.

Older tires that have been through many heat cycles tend to get harder with age.

I actually like Goodyear MT's for the snow, the down side is they work well for the first half of their lifespan and not so well for the second half of their lifespan. Seems the older they get the harder they get.

Last piece of advice, those other guys just flying along usually end up upside down in a ditch someplace eventually. I tried to tell a buddy of mine to slow down, told him the sun makes it though the trees in spots and melts some of the uphill snow that can trickle down onto the highway and wash the salt off and turn to sheet ice. He blew me off and kept right on going, he also blew out both my knees when he crashed.

Last edited:
As most everyone has pointed out smooth is a key to Winter driving.

* Throttle control can mean the difference between staying in your lane, and being in someone elses. Remember the word "Control".
* Easy starts keep the tire to the surface and minimize the formation of ice for the next guy.
* Plan your stops. The 1st rule of 4WD driving is that you should never drive faster than you can maintain control under a stop. Easy on the brakes.
* Tire Pressure. If you are just putzing around town, and not doing any dry interstate driving, drop the tires down a bit to get a larger contact surface. I run 26-27 lbs in my 33X12.50X15 BFG ATs. No issues on Ice or Snow.
* Learn how skids work in your vehicle. Find a snow covered empty parking lot to mess around in. Start a turn, apply more throttle than you need to maintain the turn until the backend comes out. Turn into the skid and control the trottle so you don't 180. More throttle usually results in more kickout and letting up generally brings the back end back in line. Smooth and easy.

All our sidestreets are snow covered and slippery, I don't have any problem with slippage or skidding in 2WD.

-Ron

I love watching the people in Atlanta not being able to get going on the ice and spinning their tires at 100 mph thinking that is the secret. :D

I love watching the people in Atlanta not being able to get going on the ice and spinning their tires at 100 mph thinking that is the secret. :D

Funny Stuff! Only 2 inches of snow. I wish I was there. When I first saw this, I thought it was a joke, like SNL or something. Its eaiser to get going then it is to stop. I saw alot of SUV's in that mess.

X2 on a little weight in the rear and tire choice. My rock tires were worthless in snow, rig was incrediably scary to drive on packed snow or ice but they were fabulous on deep snow.

One thing I have found is that under braking it really really helps to kick it into neutral as you start to brake. When its icy, espcially if your on auto lockers, the brakes have to fight the torque of the engine which is often a much higher load on the brakes than the traction provide buy the tires. The "feel" in the brake pedal is dominated by the engine, not the traction so it masks the threshold of locking up a tire. In neutral you get much better feel for the four corners and just how much brake force you can add or need to subtract. Auto lockers make everything a lot worse since as soon as one tire slows faster than the other the locker kicks in "shocking" the high braking traction tire with engine torque and causing it to break loose.

For what its worth I think the spool rules on ice. Tail always finds the low side of road or trail but its super predictable and very easy to drive accruately.

Play around with it.

John

One good tip for manual cars is to use a higher than usual gear to climb and a lower one than usual to descend.
Learn to start moving in second gear. Less torque means more control. A higher gear while climbing will prevent you from stepping on the gas and go tail happy. It's better to stall the car than spin the wheels :)
Plan your braking and apply pedal with care. If you've been using your engine brake you won't need to adjust much with the brakes. If you use your gearbox correctly you won't even need to step on the brakes :)

It gets interesting here in Northern Spain during the winter, but I keep driving my diesel Beemer (RWD, fat tires, high torque, turbo and more wrong things for snow driving) without problems.
My XJ makes everything just easier, and I can have pretty much the same control with the selec-trac.

One good tip for manual cars is to use a higher than usual gear to climb and a lower one than usual to descend.
Learn to start moving in second gear. Less torque means more control. A higher gear while climbing will prevent you from stepping on the gas and go tail happy. It's better to stall the car than spin the wheels :)
Plan your braking and apply pedal with care. If you've been using your engine brake you won't need to adjust much with the brakes. If you use your gearbox correctly you won't even need to step on the brakes :)

It gets interesting here in Northern Spain during the winter, but I keep driving my diesel Beemer (RWD, fat tires, high torque, turbo and more wrong things for snow driving) without problems.
My XJ makes everything just easier, and I can have pretty much the same control with the selec-trac.

Welcome! Nice first post. Good advice. I would add that you have to know your cars habits and limits. Its good to know how to not over correct when you start to slide out around a corner. Practice makes perfect.. The brake pedal is not your friend when it gets slippery.

Back