• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for headlight upgrade recommendations

The Autopals aren't bad at all, but not as high quality build as Hellas. (I had the Autopals and upgraded to Hellas)

You do get an increase in brightness with stock harnesses but probably not a good idea to use higher watt bulbs.

I use IPF Fatboys in after market housings. The color is closer to regular headlights. They use wheat light technology. In CA, it used to be illegal to use HIDs. I don't know if it still is, but these don't give the Popo an excuse to stop me.

Left Cibie w/Osram 55/60 bulb Right stock sealed beam stock wiring

013.jpg

Purchased the new Cibies w/Osram bulbs for Shipped $110, I wanted to do it once and have no regrets so i kept an eye out for a deal for a year or so and jumped once I found one.

To test truly fairly, did you unplug and reconnect the stock headlight? I noticed a distinct increase in brightness simply by doing that on mine (while doing some body work that required removing the headlights) which was probably due to the corrosion being scraped off the contacts in the process.

I just finished swapping my sealed beams with the Autopal E-Code Housings using Silverstar 60/55W H4 Bulbs. The difference was dramatic. My wife couldn't believe the difference. I haven't even upgraded my wiring yet. I definitely recommend this combo.

Autopal Housings on Ebay $40 Shipped
Silverstar H4 Bulbs VicHubbard.com $18 each

its not for everyone

but a pair of hella 500's was the best sub $30 mod i have made to my jeep

Something to try before actually replacing the bulbs is to simply unplug them and plug them back in again.

I saw a very noticeable improvement on my stock headlights by doing that... connections were heavily corroded.

If price is a issue go with a harness first even with the stock lights you will see a huge improvment.

I bought this one.
http://www.amazon.com/9003-Heavy-Wa..._7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1285027659&sr=1-7

the only dislike I have with it is there is no inline fuse. I did that and the set of auto pals for less then $100 and couldn't be happier with the results. I also did just the harness for a friend and she was completely satisfied with the upgraded light.

I got the IPF housing and bulbs and wasn't to happy with the outcome. Then I replaced the ground to the the headlights, which were #18 wire at the bulb and then to #16 and finally #12 at the ground point. I ran a short #10 wire from the headlight to the fender. The difference was night and day. This is on a 96. Total was under 100 bucks.

If price is a issue go with a harness first even with the stock lights you will see a huge improvment.

I bought this one.
http://www.amazon.com/9003-Heavy-Wa..._7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1285027659&sr=1-7

the only dislike I have with it is there is no inline fuse. I did that and the set of auto pals for less then $100 and couldn't be happier with the results. I also did just the harness for a friend and she was completely satisfied with the upgraded light.

I went with the slightly more expensive superchina harness- which has higher rated relays, but appears identical otherwise. It does include fusible links in lieu of a fuse, but I replaced those with ATC fuse holders to keep things simple (I always have fuses in the Jeep, but not link wire and tools). If you do get this type of harness, keep an eye on the connections to the lamps- some (mine included) have melted and fallen apart.

I have the Bosch H4 headlights on my 1990 XJ and I just installed IPF H4 headlights on the 2001 XJ. Both are running stock wattage 55/60 watt bulbs, both Hella brand, on stock wiring. I have aimed both, using the same method. This provides a fair comparison, without confounding factors. Result: the Bosch units provide better light with less light flare up above the cut-off line. The IPFs are good, but I have better range with the Bosch units. Both brands are great compared to stock. (Bosch is easier to find in western Canada where I live.)
Bulbs: avoid the cheapo Asian import bulbs! I tried a set of World brand 100/80 watt bulbs, and the painted tip of the bulb got hot and gave off smoke that coated the reflectors. Lots of fun taking out the reflectors, throwing away those bulbs, cleaning inside the housing, and reinstalling with quality bulbs. I have used Philips, Hella and Osram bulbs- all good quality.
I have all the materials for a harness, and plan to do that soon.

Ditto on the Daniel Stern Website
The Jeep lighting is horrible and I decided to bring it up to date....
jeephid01.jpg

fxrcutoff1-1.jpg

Infinity FX Bi-Xenon projectors retrofitted into 200mm housings
Total cost of project approx. $450

That's niiiiiiice!!! I wish someone was making these as kits for a fairly reasonable price. I do not have the patience for such a task myself, and would surely screw it up!

They do, but not for that price. I think the going rate is around $750 for the "spitzkraft" or whatever brand makes them now SUVlights used to have them for around a G. Urban Yan currently runs them with a different HID setup, awesome results. And when I say "them" I mean H4 projector housings. SB's are retro'd. UrbanYan bought his retail. They also stick out kinda like bug eyes but I would totally sacrifice the looks for the light.

You do get an increase in brightness with stock harnesses but probably not a good idea to use higher watt bulbs.

Correct. It's like running a HUGE resistor. The resistor being the wiring. It's gonna get hot, real hot. I'm working on putting together a vid with a setup of 140/100 h4 bulbs on some stock 16awg wiring run from the alternator. I don't think it will last too long....

I went with the slightly more expensive superchina harness- which has higher rated relays, but appears identical otherwise. It does include fusible links in lieu of a fuse, but I replaced those with ATC fuse holders to keep things simple (I always have fuses in the Jeep, but not link wire and tools). If you do get this type of harness, keep an eye on the connections to the lamps- some (mine included) have melted and fallen apart.

thanks for the heads up. I went with those since it was recommended from Jeepforum I will keep a eye one them though.

We talked about this in another thread, but I just replaced them with some Dorman connectors rated for high temps, and so far, they have held up well. Quite a few places sell replacement connectors for halogen lamps that can tolerate the heat, and it's a cheap and easy fix if you do have problems down the road. It's just something to keep an eye on.

Back