• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Cheap D30 and spare parts

JPWilson

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to help my 16 year old brother convert his 2wd Comanche to 4wd so I'm looking for some parts. I have already sourced an early AX-5, but I still need a cheap D30, front driveshaft, YJ 21-spline 231 t-case with linkages. It would be great to find some of this stuff around NW Indiana or Lafayette, IN. Thanks!

PM me. I have the D-30, and the front D-shaft(well, maybe. I have D-shafts but I believe they are AW-4 shafts)

Why would you want the YJ T-case? It is not clocked correctly for a MJ or XJ???

I'm in NW IL, about 30 miles soutwest of Rockford.

I found a parts vehicle last night... a complete, non-wrecked, 1990 XJ 4.0L, 5-spd (comes with brand new clutch), NP231, with an AW-4 also for $400. So I'm going to check it out for my brother today. It's a did run, but it's been sitting in my barn for too long deal. I'll let you guys know what happens.

The bell housing should be the same on the 4.0L, 1990 AX-5, so this should bolt up to my brothers 2.5L?

So I should be able to get a complete Cherokee for how much that other guy wanted just for his AX-5. Hopefully this swap ends up costing my brother $0.00 once we take the parts we need and part out the rest.

Can someone confirm that the 1990 4.0L XJ AX-5 will bolt up the back of his 2.5L? I know the hydraulics are the same... as long as the bell housing bolt pattern is the same, everything will be great. Sorry for padding :laugh:

Last edited:
JPWilson said:
Can someone confirm that the 1990 4.0L XJ AX-5 will bolt up the back of his 2.5L? I know the hydraulics are the same... as long as the bell housing bolt pattern is the same, everything will be great. Sorry for padding :laugh:
A 1990 4.0L XJ has the AX-15 tranny. It will not bolt up behind a 2.5 without an awful lot of work (people have done it though, using a bellhousing from a Dakota).

Mambeu said:
A 1990 4.0L XJ has the AX-15 tranny. It will not bolt up behind a 2.5 without an awful lot of work (people have done it though, using a bellhousing from a Dakota).
that is correct. an AX-15 will not bolt to a 2.5, though the bellhousings are deceptively similar.
If getting a complete parts XJ, have you considered a complete drivetrain swap?
You'd have all the wiring and such to do it, but it would be a pretty big project.
You'd need to gut both vehicles and swap most of the wiring harness from the 4.0 XJ to his MJ.
Guess it's up to him whether or not having a 4.0 is worth that much effort.
You could then sell the working 2.5 and trans to ofset the cost, not to mention axles and other interior parts and such from the XJ.

Damn, I guess it was too good to be true... the guy had a ton of parts, an AW-4, AX-15, both with tcases, quite a few driveshafts... it might be worth it just to pick it up and use the D30, PS gear, sell off the engine.... and part everything else out. It's not like he'd be loosing money because how much could I get out of an AW-4 w/ NP231, and a AX-15 w/NP231? Probably enough to come out even. I'm cheap... if I played this right, I bet I could come out even or maybe make a few bucks after the swap is done.

We're definitely keeping his 2.5L. He has to drive this everyday and it can't be out of comission for too long. I guess it's back to the drawing board with the AX-5 and YJ tcase. Thanks for the help guys!

Still looking for a 21 spline YJ case!

If it helps I have a dana 30 out of an 87 you can have for free. Im not shure of the gearing , but It doesent make any nasty sounds or any thing. I allso have an 86 but it has the 2.8 so I dont know about the tranny or trans case.
Either way good luck...Jay...

jaymo said:
. I allso have an 86 but it has the 2.8 so I dont know about the tranny or trans case.
Nope.... 2.8, has the 904/909 for an auto, and the NP 207 or 227/229 for the T-case.

jaymo said:
If it helps I have a dana 30 out of an 87 you can have for free. Im not shure of the gearing , but It doesent make any nasty sounds or any thing. I allso have an 86 but it has the 2.8 so I dont know about the tranny or trans case.

I will keep that in mind. I need to talk to my brother and see what should do. Thanks for offering the D30 up.

Back