• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

look out for that christmas tree tax

Wallyman

NAXJA Forum User
http://blog.heritage.org/2011/11/08/obama-couldnt-wait-his-new-christmas-tree-tax/

Sneaky little tax on christmas trees? And then they come up with a fake department with a stupid title and a charter of some kind thinking we wouldnt notice how absurd it is? When in the history of mankind has a govt body needed to step in to research and promote christmas tree awareness and what-the-hell else?
I just think im losing my mind here. It'll probably just go unnoticed though as people have their faces glued to american idol and their twitter accounts on their cell phones so much they wouldnt even know what color their dang trees are anymore.
the process of setting up a fake office of tree management or what ever the hell it is in order to funnel a tax into the coffers of big brother to spend however the hell they want is sooooo insulting. They arent even trying anymore.

Just what a down economy needs - a new tax (by whatever name) and another layer of useless administrivia.

Brilliant.

And haven't Christmas trees been in general use for the last 1200-1500 years or so? What kind of negative image can it have, if it's been in use that long?

Remind me to invite Obama to Festivus this year - I've got some grievances to air, and the Feats of Strength should prove entertaining...

The article does shed a different light on the topic. Supposedly growers and importers get to vote on the tax.

But....

Fresh-tree sales declined from 37 million in 1991 to 31 million in 2007, according to the USDA. Artificial tree sales, meanwhile, nearly doubled, to 17.4 million, from 2003 to 2007.

Guess what... that's free market at work. People prefer the ease of artificial.

Why the hell is the federal government in the marketing business? Why are they trying to control consumer behavior? That is not a core function of government.

@XJLI - maybe it's just on the growers - but if you think it's not going to get passed along, I may be able to recommend some medication for you to bring you back to reality (this is why I have an issue with any form of corporate tax - if you think the corporations or companies actually pay the tax, you're horribly mistaken. I suggest you place your hand flat on a workbench, and smack it repeatedly with a hammer to bring yourself back into focus.)

My favourite sentiment in both articles linked is this:

"If the large wholesale growers want it, fine, but they can pay for it without reaching into the small growers' pockets," said Robert Childress of the Texas Christmas Tree Growers Association. "I feel that marketing for my products is my responsibility, and I choose to rely on my efforts."

As a small business owner myself, I agree wholeheartedly.

Its a tax on the GROWERS not consumers...

And when they raise the cost of production for MY business, I raise the price of my product, which means YOU PAY MORE as the consumer.
Is there any way I can make that more clear for you?

Anyway, this idea has been sh!t-canned for the time being. Too harmful to his election campaign I imagine.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...tion-to-delay-new-15-cent-christmas-tree-fee/

Frankly though, while I fully disagree with a tax on Christmas trees, I don't really care all that much. There's plenty of pine trees in the Rocky Mountains and I got me a new chainsaw in the shed.

'Read about this.
Ocean jet: can't blame the Obama administration for this fiasco. The growers themselves support the tax, and are the force pushing for it.

They want the government to form a bureaucracy to promote live Christmas trees. Positive advertising, crap like that.

'Read about this.
Ocean jet: can't blame the Obama administration for this fiasco. The growers themselves support the tax, and are the force pushing for it.

They want the government to form a bureaucracy to promote live Christmas trees. Positive advertising, crap like that.

exactly.

the growers support it. will it trickle down? more than likely. but it isnt some govt imposed money-maker for obama.

Anytime the gov't collects a fee or tax, it's a moneymaker for the gov't. I don't fully trust that they spend the money where they tell us they spend it...

They won't be doing it this year...

Back