• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift kit help

dark92xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so by now im sure you have only been asked a million.5 times about lift kits. So i just have a few questions. I cant decide on the 2" budget lift from rubicon express or the 3.5" rubicon express lift with the new spring packs. How much more do you have to buy when lifting 3.5" (the stuff that doesnt come in the kit). Also if anyone has any other suggestions im open to ideas (i did find a 3.5" superlift on craigslist that im interested in but dont know what to offer the guy - 10k miles on the lift)

I have just installed 4" leafpacks and extended shocks in the rear of my 92 XJ and 3" coils,extended shocks lower control arms{although not needed as the stock ones would work as the back L control arm mounting hole is adjustable} a adjustable trackbar and yj rubber brake lines.
oh yes and some extended front sway bar links.
In my opinion 3 " up front{leasts parts needed} and 4" in the rear{great for packing weight and still looking level} is the way to go. Go bb if all you want is a better look with minimal gains.

what you have to buy in addition to the lift components really depends on how your jeep reacts to being lifted.

i have the 2" RE lift on my jeep (2000) and have had lots of DW issues and driveline vibes. i have had to replace all TRE's, the trackbar twice, get an alignment, a new steering stabilizer and the list keeps growing. but i have heard of other guys putting 5+ inches on thier jeeps and not having any problems at all.

it seems like the norm would be to get an sye and new drive shaft, and longer/adjustable control arms or atleast drop brackets.

It helps to know the year the Jeep was made.

After looking at the kits on the RE web site, I've come to the conclusion that I'm incredibly cheap! I started with a 2" budget boost and have been collecting used components to go to 3.5". Since my intended use will be 98% daily driver and 2% play, that's enough for me.

Both of the 3.5" kits that include full spring packs still require new shock absorbers and track bar.

I was in the same boat as you... I couldn't decide between the 2" or 3.5". I went with 3.5" and im really happy with it, but it was a lot more money and I ended up needing a SYE... Its all about how much your willing to spend...

I have a 98 that I put a RE 3.5 on 2 years ago, and I have had no issues what so ever. My heep is a daily driver, and I do some hard to moderate stuff all the time with it. It's a great lift. I wouldn't blink to do it again...

Good Luck.

the bum

Last edited:
Get a lift that has front & rear springs but atleast rear. NO AAL's! New control arms would be great too. Keep the spacer up front to a minimum, no more than 2 inches. Stay away from TC drops, invest in a SYE. Do not forget to regear with larger tires.

when i first lifted mine, its a 94i went cheap, used coils and built a bastard pack out of two sets of xj leaves, then added what i needed, its also my dd, eventually bought new springs and lower carms because the ride was harsh, save some money and time and try to do it once, u get what u pay for, i love the rear springs though and invest in some good shocks hth

3.5" for sure. it should come with a tcase drop kit which should be all ya need for now. i would recommend some jks swaybar discos, but you dont really need them. you will want to relocate your brake lines which is real easy. other than that some bigger tires and you should be all set :)

Back