• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let me see your light bars

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hi fellow XJ'ers, so I have decided that the perfect addition to my XJ would be a set of roof or windshield mounted lights. The Jeep is outfitted very well right now as a combination cross country traveler (It has driven through 49 states in the US, explored the Arctic Circle and the 10 provinces of Canada.) I also use it here in Northeast Ohio to plow snow all winter long.

I very briefly owned a 99 xj that had a set of four small roof mounted lights. It had traditional h3 bulbs in each light. When I turned these lights on, it was like turning on the sun. They were so bright and well aimed.

I am now seeing everyone with the curved light bars on the roof or windshield of their vehicles and on their bumpers. I know they use way less power, but how bright are they? I am getting ready to head back to Alaska to retravel the Dalton Highway and know that some fantastic light would be an awesome help.

Can anyone help me out with a comparison of how bright their LED bar is vs. Four 100 watt flood lights?

Honestly. The LEDs will probably put 4 100w flood lights to shame.

However, I would rather have properly aimed effective traditional fog/spot lights than a light bar. LEDs barf light everywhere and I only feel comfortable using it on the road if I can see for atleast a mile that there is no traffic infront of me or oncoming.

Use what works best for you. LEDs perform in desert dusty environment, not cruising down the pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fwiw, lights on the roof suck. They'll give your terrible glare off the hood, and any type of weather other than clear they're absolutely worthless. Whatever you do, do yourself a favor and mount them as low as you can. That way your lights are shining down the road, where you actually need it.

Here is what my temporary Jeep had for a light bar
14650123_10210384969690244_2756372333038972087_n.jpg

I never had a problem with the setup above. The Dalton Highway is 414 miles of the roughest gravel road I have ever been on. There is no road paint, lights or anything that will help you stay on the road. Also, for the 414 miles I was on it, I passed only 4 other vehicles. If LED is that much brighter, I'll have to go that route. I suppose that I could also put a smaller light bar on the bumper independent of the roof bar. I was under the conception that LED light defused much sooner then traditional light. I guess I should also point out that I am trying to get the light out as far as possible. Be it a mile or 10 miles, I need to see as far in advance as possible.

Last edited:
5-Speed, those back up lights are sweet! Where did you find those? You don't need a relay switch for them do you?

Back