• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LEO types - need help with scumbag!

Cheropair

NAXJA Forum User
Story-
Ran across an ad in the local Thrifty Nickel for a Cherokee trans and motor. Lot of tornado damage around here, looking for grey interior and A/C set-up. Turns out the ad was from a local yard,(Mace Auto Salvage 3801 Burlington, Kansas City, MO) still had the body only for $100. Took a look at it (in a cold rain), and it had all of the parts that I wanted. Was sitting up in the yard, level, looked to have both axles (didn't check to see if anything was behind the wheels).
Called the phone number on the sign(same as in the ad 816.728.1272) the following Monday, said I wanted the Cherokee, wanted to make sure that it had both axles, that I was going to tow dolly the thing home, and would they please get it out of the line so that it would be ready for p/u.
Went to p/u on Tuesday, Wes(Owner? Don't know last name), was the same one that I had been talking to all along (small operation) and had met at the yard went I had originally gone to look at the Jeep. Front axle was missing, no way to dolly - wasted $50 on tow dolly rental. He said he was sorry, that his guy with a roll back was out right now, but that he normally charges $40 to deliver a wreck, and because of the confusion, he would split the cost with me. I paid Wes $120 cash, he gave me a receipt, got directions to my home, and said it would be there after lunch. So far, so good, or so I thought. Turned in the tow dolly, paid money, went home to await arrival of the Cherokee.
Waited until 3pm, still no Jeep, called Wes to check, he said since the employee lives in Kansas City, KS (same as me), he was going to drop the Jeep off on the way home. Makes sense, just wish he had called to inform me....10pm, went to bed w/ no Jeep.
Called Wed. AM, was told that the guy forgot to get the Jeep, would drop off ASAP, was put on hold, never came back. Tried to call back 10 min later, did not answer. Called again afternoon, said be there that evening.
Thursday AM, called, still no Jeep, put me on hold to check on status, never picked back up. Tried to call back, would not answer, left message on voice mail that I wanted the Cherokee delivered that evening, or that I would be at his place of business Friday to get my refund.
Went to get my money back this AM, Wes totally ignored me. Finally got to the point that he had to answer my questions about the money and/or Jeep (still on lot, never been moved), I explained that I wanted my money back, and that when he delivered I would give his driver the money. During this conversation, we had walked toward his car. He would not give me an answer, and I held the door open until he responded. He was seated in the car (mid 90's Taurus, MO tag, 330 SKA), pulled the door forcibly closed, and screamed "I got ya!" and he sped off.

Question is, short of physically beating the money out of him (keeps a wad in his left front pocket, he's left handed), what are my options. Suspect the local PD (KCMO) would tell me to shove off.....
Things I have learned over the 'net, AT&T cell phone(cannot learn who's), leased property(at least he is not the owner), does not appear to have proper Occupation/Business license, any help would be appreciated......
Cheropair

LEO's on this forum cannot help you. You have legal problems/questions, not head-bustin' problems.

File a complaint with your local police department. Taking money fraudulently is a crime. You should also go to your local courthouse and ask about the laws and process for filing a small claim suit in court. However, although you don't need an attorney to do this, you will have to spend time, and there is a filing fee. And even if you win, there's still the problem of collecting.

Bottom line is, I think you learned an expensive lesson. $120 isn't lunch money (well, not for me anyway), but it's also not the mortgage. The police may be able to help you, they may not. They might have some advice for you.

Check around to see what kind of license(s) the guy might need, then check to see if he has them. If so, complain to the authority that issues the license. If not -- turn him in for operating without a license.

Get on it!

Get busy on it now! Go file a complaint and whatever else you can do. The longer you wait the harder it is to get your money back. Camp out on his doorstep if you have to. I had a buddy who parked his caterpillar in front of a guys shop until he fixed his rig. You might get a lien on his car. You have on big advantage. You know where he works. Go to court now. Sometimes police departments have conflict resolution officers who will go with you to collect on a bill.

the most important thing is that you got a receipt :) :) Go to a police station and file a complaint... sometimes just getting a cop to show up will help speed things along.... just one thing: when you go to the police station, be reasonable and as business like as possible......

Kejtar

and if all else fails you could always.... go to your local magazine store and take out every single one of those subscription cards , fill them out in his name and his address but just check the box that says bill me later. If you can't get your Jeep, perhaps the satisfaction of knowing that he won't get to keep your money or will have a hard time avoiding the collection agencies that would soon be after him. But anyways that is an alternative spitefull option and might not be a good idea. What everyone else was saying is the right way to go.

It's your lucky day - I have the answer for you! There is a Radio talk show host by the name of Tom Martino who is nationally syndicated. In Kansas City his show is on KCTE 1510 AM from 1-4 every weekday. You can find more information about him at http://www.troubleshooter.com
His sole purpose is to deal with scum-sucking liars and cheats who prey on innocent people. I have listened to his show faithfully for many years and TRUST ME, HE GETS RESULTS!
He has a fully staffed help center who take complaints like this both on and off the air.

What usually happens is that he will air the offender’s name and phone number on the air. Thousands of listeners from across the nation will usually call the bastard’s phone and scare the bejebers out of the guy. They are afraid of loosing business and will usually give in.
Tom, on his radio show said again and again that he is NEVER afraid of anyone suing him for slander – so long as the facts are true. If you are just telling the truth about the situation, no-one will win against you.

First – document everything – times, dates, conversations, etc.
Second – listen to his show at least one day – you will quickly learn what his show is about and how he operates.
Third – call him!

For those of you in other parts of the nation – look at his affiliates list on his web sites to see if he is on in your area.

Good Luck....now go kick some #ss!

Well the way I see it you have paid for the Jeep and it is on his property so go in there and get it out.

Your best bet is to go to the police and tell them your stroy and have an officer accompany you to the yard to get your vehicle. He can't say NO with an officer nearby.

Pretty much what I'm planning to do in the morning. The way I see it, if he gives me the Jeep, I've lost $20, but I got the parts I wanted. If he gives me the money, I keep looking. If he does neither, I press fraud charges. Much easier to deal with than a guy that can never deliver on a promise (criminal vs civil courts).

At the very least, the police report should provide me with the info needed to pursue civil action..... let's see, several trips, dolly rental, trailer rental tomorrow, time spent waiting for non-delivery, frustration, punitive damages, etc., etc.,

very little cha-ching!, but I can be a real thorn in his side.
Anyone know some persistant telemarketers? Give them his number!!! Jehova Witnesses, Miss Cleo also welcome!!!

There are alot of legal ways to get what you need. Most are just pestering. I would follow him home one day, show up at his dor at like 1 am and ask for your money. get in front of him.....slwo to 15 mph.....annoying stuff.

its too bad that judge wapner is stuck doing "animal court" these days.... have you called your Better Business Bureu yet?

pestering is a bad idea... cause he might end up suing you for harrasment...... Remember... you want to get yours back not to give him any more of yours...

Kejtar

Two words: Personal Ad! Find his home number (and/or his cell?), scribble out a few personal ads, even more fun make them gay personal ads.

Doesn't achieve much...but its' damn funny! :D

update

Long story short -
got the Jeep
Police called to location
they've been looking for him
he won't be selling anything more for awhile

Score one for the good guys!!!!

Warrants, several from what I heard, both state and county.

Officers seemed to know of him, started to check the entire yard and nearby lot for stolen vehicles (mine was OK)

SCORE!!!!

Glad to hear it. Restores my faith in the good guys. Wouldn't have minded being part of the blanket party though. :D :D :D

Back