• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Packs available for a Bastard Pack

Which Leaf Spring Pack is your favorite for a Bastard Pack?

• 05-06 DakotaPickup2+4WD.4(3/1).2-1/2.24-1/8*30-7/8.1800

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kudos on this write up! This might make a good sticky!

I asked around a bit before I made my bastard pack and decided to keep the overload. My reasoning was that I work my XJ like an F-250 pulling/carrying weight.

Will the overload catch on rocks, etc? Possibly....but my stock shock mounts are probably more likely to catch. One fix at a time....

i used 92 ranger extra cab leaves for about 3" of lift. xj main, ranger 2nd, ranger 3rd, xj 3rd, xj 4th for a 5 leaf-pack. rides nice and was easy to build. the center pin is a little larger but that was an easy fix.

zedpapa

For 2.5 to 3" Bastard Pack.

For 4.5 to 5.5"s of lift in the rear, I would suggest:

XJ Bastard Pack/XJ Bastard Pack with Shackles

Take your XJ leaf packs and find another set of XJ donor packs and use the main spring cut off at each end at the eyes to support main leaf with bushings, 2nd & 3rd from donor staggered to fit. Radius all the ends & use double lipped liner or almost just as good... moly dry lube spray. With 1.5/2.5 " Shackles, you should be between 4.5 and 5.5". It will flex well with open u bolt style leaf clamps. This setup would allow your leaf springs to stretch out on compression and retreat on axle drop and gives maximum flex IMHO. You can adjust the height with the combo 1.5/2.5" shackles.

Hope this helps.

cher96 Vicki

Last edited:
cher 96 this is my first post can you explain the taper ends and do you need the whole pack and adjustable shakle for the 5.5 lift?thanks for help

cher 96 this is my first post can you explain the taper ends and do you need the whole pack and adjustable shakle for the 5.5 lift?thanks for help

I am so very sorry... it has been a while since I have been on this Forum. Had medical issues.

Take another set of XJ leaf packs from another XJ and use the main spring and cut off at each end just before the eyes. This will support the main leaf springs, use the 2nd & 3rd springs from donor pack staggered to fit. Radius all the ends & use double lipped liner or a moly dry spry lube. With 1.5/2.5" Shackles, you should be between 4.5 and 5.5". It will flex well if you use open U-Bolt style leaf clamps. This setup should allow your leaf springs to stretch out and retreat and I believe gives you maximum flex IMHO. You can adjust the height with the combo 1.5/2.5" shackles. Hope this helps.

cher96

has anyone else tried using springs from under a 93 explorer. it is sua so springs have good arch, plus i pulled the 8.8 at the same time:yelclap:. have yet to install either but in the near future

i uses leaf packs out of the back of a chevy astro van. can't remember what year it was, but some idiot at our shop sold the customer leafs because he told them it was sagging(looked exactly the same after). I cut the eyes on the main leafs and used the astro leafs with just the main off the xj. gave me about 3 inches of lift and rode like stock.

Found a set of springs on a '99 Ford Exploder @ pick-n-pull, and it looks like they are much thicker leafs. Project "XJ Bastard Exploder Pack" is now Work-in-Progress !!! God Bless pick-n-pull of Rancho Cordova !!!

Had a set of 4" fsj rear springs under the deck. Wanted to stretch the wheelbase a bit anyway. Pushed the axle back about 3", moved the shackle hanger back 2" and down 2". Still wrapping up the hp44 swap, so I'll have to get back on how it performs. Shackle sits at 50 degrees, so it should flex well. Also building shock hoops and running 14" bilsteins through the floor, so ride should be night and day from before.

Had a set of 4" fsj rear springs under the deck. Wanted to stretch the wheelbase a bit anyway. Pushed the axle back about 3", moved the shackle hanger back 2" and down 2". Still wrapping up the hp44 swap, so I'll have to get back on how it performs. Shackle sits at 50 degrees, so it should flex well. Also building shock hoops and running 14" bilsteins through the floor, so ride should be night and day from before.

by pushing the rear axle back 3 inches, are you worried about the axle housing hitting the tank? or are you fixing that problem some way?

It appears as though it will just clear...I cant really flex it out and seefor sure yet. When all is said and done, if its an issue, the tank will get pushed back a couple inches. Waggy springs are 25.25 to center pin and xj are 23", so it's only pushed back 2.25". Hoping the better shackle angle and longer spring will result in better flex and improved ride quality.

hah good table, I like the s10 springs, but I only like the main leafs. I have (3) s10 main leafs in my pack because the leafs below that have too much arch to put under your cherokee leaf. I know its alot more work but I used to have a s10 and know alot of people who were into lowering, bagging s10's so stock leafs are available easily.

Back