• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keezer build

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
I'll bump this thread as I build this little guy up. Holds two 6.5gal fermenters and a couple cases of bottles for conditioning. I plan to use it for lagering pilseners and other wonderful Czech beers. Eventually it'll hold a couple of corny kegs with one fermenter and have taps off the front or top.

Step 1: Find a small chest freezer on Craig's List for $65. :D (In this case it's a 7.2cf that's about 4 years old)

i-7SWb3LK-L.jpg

Step 2: ?

Step 3: Profit

Don't do it, man. That's the road to oblivion....

Too late. :D I've even considered sanitizing the inside and 'open' fermenting...

I'm already collecting a couple of things to start doing all grain batches. :doomed:

When you put taps on it, I'd suggest forward sealing taps. Home taps just don't get enough use, and standard bar taps will dry out & stick. It's not uncommon for home users to break tap handles after several days of non-use. Even after 2 weeks, I can open mine with 1 finger.

Which reminds me, I floated a keg last night. Need to clean the lines and put the next keg in place.

"Microcomputer temperature controller" showed up in the mail today from China. Went to hardware store tonight to get a short heavy extension cord to sacrifice, a dual outlet, and some other odds and ends. Should have the electrical part licked tomorrow and the freezer plugged in.

Building a couple of mash paddles right now and next weekend will be partaking in my first all-grain brewing experience. Life is about to get better. :D

Saw that coil of copper and thought,"Grain? Pilsener? What? How about a little White Lightening? (Something the family used to do a couple generations back, must be stuck in the blood,..)

Saw that coil of copper and thought,"Grain? Pilsener? What? How about a little White Lightening? (Something the family used to do a couple generations back, must be stuck in the blood,..)

It's an immersion chiller for cooling down the wort. Has garden hose fittings on the ends so you can run water through it. It transfers heat from outside the coil to the water running through it. It's not a condenser. ;)

Since this was BTT:

Crappy cell phone pic of the fridge power controller.
i-rwDWMNt-L.jpg

My old blue cooler converted to a mash tun:

i-ZnfbBxk-L.jpg

Still running great. Picked up a converted 15gal keg from a guy in the homebrew club, complete with TIG-welded spout on it. $20! He even threw in a burner on a stand for it. :)

Picked out my grain bill, grabbed 4 oz of Saaz hops, and got some lager yeast. Time to bust out the all-grain and lager in one shot. Still working on the mash paddles, though. :D

i-KJxjrWW-L.jpg

I'm somewhat beginning to not like you. :rattle:

Actually I just wish we lived closer.

Back