• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got my XJ back

Xtreme Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i just got my XJ back from getting the 8.25" rear end rebuilt. We origionally thought that the wheel bearings went out because of a rumbling noise we heard. We took it there and the tech said that the ring and pinion was bad the carrier bearings went out and the wheel bearings went out...totally different than what i expected.

just had my carrier barings replaced last week in my 98 with the 8.25.. Damn Gremlins..........................................

i hope you took it to a reputable shop

no hijack intended but...my 8.25 ring and pinion on my '01 went bad and are being replaced at the Dealer tommorow under warranty. What exactly are they doing and what can I expect? How much does this job cost?
Service manager said the gear oil should be changed double the intervals recommended by DC because he's seen a lot of failure.
Do you think putting synthetic in the rear axle will help?
Thanks

I took it to Six States Distributors in Provo, Ut. We just threw away the old ring and pinion and bearings. The total rebuild cost $550 in the end. Another thing I forgot to mention was that when i took it in to get it replaced they said the whole inside of the diff would slide back and forth in turns. I figure thats why the ring and pinion were shot, because when you would turn they would come out of alignment.

Xtreme Jeeper said:
I took it to Six States Distributors in Provo, Ut. We just threw away the old ring and pinion and bearings. The total rebuild cost $550 in the end. Another thing I forgot to mention was that when i took it in to get it replaced they said the whole inside of the diff would slide back and forth in turns. I figure thats why the ring and pinion were shot, because when you would turn they would come out of alignment.
Did you take advantage of the situation and have a LSD put in at the same time ? An auburn would have dropped right in and you would have not needed a new carrier...

Back