• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought overhead computer console for my 00 XJ. Any tips?

Nevada City Sparky said:
Man, I wish I could put one of those in mine. Unfortunately, mines got a sunroof which is useless with a rack and living in the deep, wet woods.

Wish there was an easy way to remove and patch with a steel panel.

BlueCuda said:
I wonder if you coudl use one from a grand with a sunroof? I am sure the computer part works the same.

This one is from an 04 so I doubt it works but worth checking into them.

get_image.aspx
The WJ Grand Cherokee overhead will not work in the XJ. The WJ's overhead gets all of it's info from the body control module, included temp and compass. If you use an earlier ZJ console, only the 93-95 will display temp & compass. The ZJ 96-98 will only display compass on it, no temp since the temp info comes from the non-compatible body control module.
Both styles on ZJ console will not display computer/mileage functions for the same reason.

Here's a 96-98 ZJ console mounted in an XJ. It's a lot of work but it can be done. Notice no temperature readout on the display.

xj_overhead_console_from_zj2s.jpg

Here's an easier solution for a sunroof:

xjoverheadconsolesunroof1.jpg

xjoverheadconsolesunroof3.jpg

Well I manage to get it pulled, it was a bitch getting the harness out of the mangled XJ. That and I probably had enough tools in my tool bag to pull the motor but only brough one screwdriver and it was todamnfuckinglong :D. Got it taken care of though.

as for the sunroof, if one had a short OHC for the later ZJ and a long OHC for an XJ why not just swap the info/display boards and display? They look to be the same from the outside and when I installed mine it looked to be removable.

?? Just thinking

Also with the rear drop down screen how hard was that to install, very cool and would be a good addition to mine.

CHUGLYxj said:
as for the sunroof, if one had a short OHC for the later ZJ and a long OHC for an XJ why not just swap the info/display boards and display? They look to be the same from the outside and when I installed mine it looked to be removable.

?? Just thinking

Also with the rear drop down screen how hard was that to install, very cool and would be a good addition to mine.
Yes, you can swap the 97+ XJ electronics/display into the short ZJ sunroof console. It is a direct fit but you'll have to figure out how to mount the bracket to the XJ ceiling.

The overhead video screen isn't mine so I don't have any info on the install.

Just got it fired up and working. Mine might have been a rare deal but it was plug and play from 98-97 or maybe I just misunderstood. Originally it didn't work and then when I started my jeep the cluster didn't work. Turns out one of my connectors shorted right when I plugged the console in. I ran out of but connectors and had to use a spade for one wire and this is what cuased the problem. After a little frustration I realized it was a fuse problem when the cluster didn't work. Thanks for all the info in the thread, now I just need to mount this bitch :D.

Hey, 2000XJSPORT, I just got one of these overhead consoles for my '97, came out of a '97 too. My XJ is a Sport. I clicked on your link posted in this thread to the how-to file you posted on savefiles.com, but it doesn't work, says file not found. I sure would like to have that information. Looking at my parts fiche I see I need a rear mounting bracket and two long screws for the mid-mounting the console, don't know about up front unless the visor screws hold it. Then also the wiring harness and the temp sensor. In case you don't see this, I'm also gonna PM you. Sure would like to have that file.

kloker said:
Hey, 2000XJSPORT, I just got one of these overhead consoles for my '97, came out of a '97 too. My XJ is a Sport. I clicked on your link posted in this thread to the how-to file you posted on savefiles.com, but it doesn't work, says file not found. I sure would like to have that information. Looking at my parts fiche I see I need a rear mounting bracket and two long screws for the mid-mounting the console, don't know about up front unless the visor screws hold it. Then also the wiring harness and the temp sensor. In case you don't see this, I'm also gonna PM you. Sure would like to have that file.
See post #18 of this thread on page 2. All of the info you need is right there.

This link is for some additional wiring info for installing an OHC. I suggest you copy these wire diagrams and save them onto your hard drive.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883824

One of my picture links seems to be lost for the head liner cutouts so here it is again.

standard.jpg

PM me a good email address, I have the needed info.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am installing a 98 overhead console into my 98. All the write up links and most of the pictures seem to be dead. I have been searching but everything should be plug and play with me right? I will have to switch over the keyless remote deal but thats it right? The only thing I am worried about is cutting the headliner. I saw Tim's pictures but what are you guys using to cut your headliners? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am installing a 98 overhead console into my 98. All the write up links and most of the pictures seem to be dead. I have been searching but everything should be plug and play with me right? I will have to switch over the keyless remote deal but thats it right? The only thing I am worried about is cutting the headliner. I saw Tim's pictures but what are you guys using to cut your headliners? Thanks in advance.

Yes it will be plug in and play. You will have to mount the bracket to hold up the console and I just used a box cutter to cut the liner. I can send you a copy of my writeup if that will help. Just send me another PM with your email.

yeah, a box cutter works fine. Get yourself a new blade though (so it cuts the fabric cleanly instead of pulling), and expect it to be a little dull afterwards, because it's semi-compressed fiberglas backing which tends to do a number on blades.

I found that it was easiest to get the pattern centered if I ran a piece of masking tape from the mounting holes for the center dome light / OHC bracket to the center of the cargo area dome light. This also allowed me to make marks for where to cut without worrying as much if I had measured too big a hole. Cutting the hole the right size is easiest if you bolt up the front of the OHC (using that long single screw to a plastic anchor, at least on pre-97) and then use that as alignment for cutting the back, just measure three or four times, only mark on the masking tape, and cut once. Always err on the side of cutting too small a hole, you can always expand it out a little if it doesn't quite fit.

Does anyone know what "Type" of connector is used for the wiring harness. I'd like to do a "bling" terminal connector mod for a harness into my '01, and I would like to know which "style" connector is used (options from the FSM:)
Molex?
Thomas & Betts?
Augat?
Something else... (am I barking up the wrong tree here?)

I am going to try to get myself the proper tool to remove the wires from the terminal without damage so I can swap my existing connector onto the donor harness. Thanks!

Which connector?

Also, I find that being very careful with my smallest flat blade jeweler's screwdriver, I can usually disassemble most connectors without damage.

A lot of connectors on the XJ (at least under the hood) are Delphi Weatherpack, but I am pretty sure most of the interior connectors aren't waterproofed at all.

Back